All Topics / Finance / Offset account

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

After reading this forum I have come to the conclusion I should have an offset account attached to one of my IP mortgages. So I have dug out the loan paper work and found my Bank West paperwork says:
    “You are entitled to nominate an Offset Account to be linked to your Loan Account with an Offset Account Percentage of 100%”

Do I therefore just have to nominate an account and put my $25 000 into it thereby reducing my interest payments?
    No need to change the loan?
    Surely it couldn’t be that simple could it?

Thanks for any feedback

Ruth

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Ring em up or go into a branch and open an account.

I would suggest you put the offset account on your PPOR loan if you have one. This will save you more money.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of kimandglenkimandglen
    @kimandglen

Yep it is normally that simple, just go open the account and let them know what account to attach it to.

Bankwest normally charge for an offset account but saying that it is normally a couple of dollars a month

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

$3.99 / month with Bank West for a 100% fully transactional offset A/c

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

That is better than ANZ – $10/month

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

Update: I called BankWest and was told the loan I can attach an offset account but the loan I have has a fee free redraw facility and I can pay as much onto the loan and take back off the loan as I like.

This being the case is there any need or advantage to setting up the offset account?

I have $38K surplus paid off the loan already and he said I could redraw that at anytime. I double checked that there wasn’t a max amount that could be paid onto the loan in a year and he assured me that if I had a spare 200K I could put that on if I liked and there would be no penalty. I know our other loan has a $15k max surplus paid in a year.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

No not an issue as long as the funds redrawn are used for investment purposes.

If the original loan was a PPOR then you would have contaminated the interest and real issue on your hands but if it a P & I loan for some reason on an IP and the funds redrawn are ONLY for investment i guess it is better than nothing.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of lbluedentolbluedento
    Participant
    @lbluedento

I set up the Offset anyway just in case it mattered for investment purposes. I tend to only believe a small proportion of what the banks tell me and put more faith in what you guys say! Plus the banks have that clause that pretty much says, at this time the situation is X but whenever I like I can change the situation and not tell you. Didn’t want my hard heard $$ to get caught up in one of their policy changes

Thanks

Ruth

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Be careful. Redraw is totally different from offset in terms of taxation. very dangerous to use a redraw without understanding.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TongTong
    @tong

I’m sorry for not totally understanding you guys. Could someone tell me what is an offset account?

Thank you,
    Tong

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.