All Topics / Help Needed! / Body corporate managment in house vs external body corporate manager.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of propertyboypropertyboy
    Participant
    @propertyboy

I recently bought a unit in a 4 unit block. The body corporate was previously managed in house. That is, it was run by all the members. However, we have now decided to use an external body corporate manager. The fee the company charges is 1k a year, so pretty much $250 extra per unit per annum. Is this a cost worth paying? What are the pros and cons of hiring an external body corporate manager? We were told if we are doing it ourselves and something went wrong on common land and we did not have adequate insurance we could be sued? Whereas now the body corporate manager takes on the liability? Is the extra $250 a year worth the extra cost or should we continue to keep it in house?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Where is the property located ?

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

like everything else in life, if you are inadequately insured you will be liable for the shortfall. This goes for public liability, workers compensation, buildings, office holders etc. The strata manager will not take up the excess liability. They will recommend levels of insurance required, budgets for the sinking & administration funds etc.

Usually money well spent on larger complexes but if there are few issues or arrears, a small block should be able to do it themselves.

Profile photo of propertyboypropertyboy
    Participant
    @propertyboy

It is in Melbourne Australia

A 4 unit block.

Pretty much a shared driveway and very small common front yard as all 4 units have their own enclosed front yards w hich is not common land.

They are essentially 4 homes on a lot.

Participant
    @propertyboy

^sorry I am a bit confused.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Strata management is complicated, especially when there is disagreement. Went thru this recently. Messy tribunal.
    Was very happy to pass the management onto a professional licenced strata mgr.
    If you want advice on strata, Dept Fair Trading is excellent, very helpful.

Good luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @propertyboy

Can you share your story? I would really like to know some potential real life issues that could arise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.