All Topics / Value Adding / Stormwater Drainage Help for subdivision

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bubbles1611bubbles1611
    Participant
    @bubbles1611

Hey Guys,
    I own a 1600sqm block of land in Blacktown LGA in NSW.
    it has a house on it up the front of the land, and the block slopes towards the back.
    The current stormwater drains to an absorption pit of sorts as it was built in the late '40's.

we are looking to subdivide the block as every other block in the street is, however the issue we have is around stormwater drainage.
    The houses either side don’t have stormwater drainage going to the street, but council is saying we need to connect it to the street somehow.

we have gone down the avenue of seeking easements, but this has gone nowhere as the neighbours are being unreasonable and want $30k for a 1sqm easement, and the other neighbours solicitor has decided that the amount we had agreed on was not reasonable and he wants 5x that.

Are stormwater pumps an option?
    is there not a precedent set by the properties either side with having stormwater pits?

What options do I have??

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

It may be advisable to have the site surveyed for boundaries and levels and to provide this information to a hydraulic engineer to discuss your options.

The use of stormwater pumps is quite normal, you generally have 2 pumps (backup pump) and a large reservoir (stormwater detention pit – which may be used for water recycling as well).

Profile photo of bubbles1611bubbles1611
    Participant
    @bubbles1611

Thanks I.P….
    I have the site surveyed, it drops by 9m from the kerb to the back of the porperty, over ~80m.

I need to put OSD on the property, are pumps used in OSD arrangements?

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

More often than not. You may need to speak with the council engineering dept to ascertain if there is a stromwater line in the street and a pit that you can connect to directly.

Profile photo of Nino and NinoNino and Nino
    @nino-and-nino

Hi Bubbles

I am a urban planner and property development consultant and have dealt with many Councils in terms of determining stormwater issues/easements etc.

Based on the fall of the land (9 metres is pretty steep), you require a OSD system and if you can't get a rear easement, then the OSD would need to be connected to a pump out system. A hydraulic engineer would need to be engaged to prepare stormwater plans.

Feel free to send me a private message to discuss further

Cheers

Nino and Nino
    0411 299 865

Profile photo of Roberts1911Roberts1911
    Participant
    @roberts1911

Hi bubbles someone mentioned a retention pit, that is a good option generally when buying an easement fails. Have a look at some of the products made by atlantis and HYDROston as these guys are leaders in the new age of drainage. I work for a surveying company on the Central Coast called Chase Bourke and Harvey we do land development and also have a very experienced hydraulic engineer working here who deals with alot of these problems like yours. Check are website out if your interested.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.