All Topics / Help Needed! / noob question on selling

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of cs_rlewiscs_rlewis
    Participant
    @cs_rlewis

hey folks,

Im about to build a new house on my vacant land and was thinking of selling it to make a nice profit. If i sell for say $360k, how much of this actually goes into my pocket at the end of the day when all agent fees are paid etc.

Cheers, Ryan

Profile photo of swampy30swampy30
    @swampy30

That's a very difficult question to answer specifically.  You need to take into account build costs, selling fees (legal, agents etc ) and also tax, which is totally dependent on your financial circumstances. 

What would you like to know – just a breakdown of costs?

S

Profile photo of cs_rlewiscs_rlewis
    Participant
    @cs_rlewis

Yes just a rough breakdown would be great of the selling costs only, so not sure if the building costs are applicable.

Cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

generally, the agent will charge % of the sale price achieved, the marketing costs. Your solicitors/Conveyancer will charge their costs + disbursements, bank will charge their debt, discharge fees & state charges. You get the rest.

Profile photo of cs_rlewiscs_rlewis
    Participant
    @cs_rlewis
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    generally, the agent will charge % of the sale price achieved, the marketing costs. Your solicitors/Conveyancer will charge their costs + disbursements, bank will charge their debt, discharge fees & state charges. You get the rest.

thanks for the help, so out of a $360K selling price, how much would i get in my pocket (roughly)?

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Lots of variables.
     Are you going to live in the house first? Otherwise it's an investment and you may be liable for CGT.
    No-one can tell you how much you'll make when no-one knows the costs involved. What about interest paid? etc. Too many unknown facts.

If it is your PPOR.  End price – agent 2% (roughly) – land and build costs – interest etc = profit.

If it's not your PPOR then pay tax on the profit. OR wait 12 months and only pay tax on 50% of the profit.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.