All Topics / Commercial Property / I’m starting my own Commercial / Industrial agency. What do buyers and sellers want from a commercial sales and leasing agency?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of doogs1357doogs1357
    @doogs1357

I am an experienced sales and leasing agent competing in Sydney's industrial and suburban office markets. I am about to start my own organisation and was wondering if anyone can offer advice on what potential clients are looking for from a sales and leasing agent.

I obviously have my own ideas and initiatives, however I would like to hear from people outside the industry to see if I can find some fresh ideas.

I really appreciate any advice that is offered.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Banks aren't lending on commercial (generally) so it is going to be tough.

Profile photo of minichickminichick
    Participant
    @minichick
    Scott No Mates wrote:

Hey Scott CBA is still lending there is also many commercial brokers around

Depends what type of property commercial has many different sub sections such as lending on hotels/motels etc generally will only lend 65%max but retail offices will lend up to 80%

Profile photo of doogs1357doogs1357
    @doogs1357

Hi Scott,

I can't be specific on the location since I'm still with my former employer and it is a very small industry.

The business is an even mix of leasing (not property management, just finding the tenant) and sales. I have no doubt the business will be successful since i've been through the hell of 07-08 when almost every commercial agency lost money. I can see substantial opportunity in markets that other agencies have neglected over the past 3 years.

If you have done any buying, selling or leasing in the commercial arena I'd appreciate feedback on your experience and suggestions on how the service can be improved.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Doogs
    Just sold our motel in 2 parts, landlord and tenant.
    Basically sold the leasehold tenant part myself because the broker was hopeless but contracted.
    Not all but many brokers were ill-informed, lazy, slow, argumentative, expensive relative to effort.
    Widespread situation of poor salesmanship and poor marketing skills, especially inept at writing ads to sell the sizzle and highlight the property's attributes. Weak or non-existant follow-up of leads and even interested parties after inspections.

Websites difficult to navigate, and they treat buyers as if location doesn't matter so don't mention it.
    Ghosting to get enquiries (advertising non-existent properties).
    Buying listings.
    Treating sellers and buyers like there will not be any repeat business, and they're right, someone else gets it.

Just by doing the basics properly, the market will reward a newcomer in motel broking.
    Not hard to compete with the above. However, be ready for all the anti-competitive tricks in the book.
    As in war, the first casualty is truth.
    good luck
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    Profile photo of No1No1
    @no1
    Scott No Mates wrote:

Hi No Mates. They are all still lending for commercial. What makes you say banks are not?

Profile photo of SMSFAccountantsSMSFAccountants
    @smsfaccountants

We work with lots of agents & buyers and what i see in commercial agents that do well is they are much more focused on building long term relationships (often 10-20yrs+) where resi agents seem to be sell and move on most of the time. 

If you are in Vic feel free to get in touch we are always looking to work with good agents esp commercial agents.

Profile photo of ForeverStudentForeverStudent
    @foreverstudent

Hi Doogs,

Have you set up the agency yet? It'll be good if you can give us an update.

Cheers

Profile photo of theparlistheparlis
    @theparlis

Hi there! I am also taking the same approach as you. Glad to see different opinions from people from across the industries in this conversation. Cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.