All Topics / Help Needed! / Slow usless building company fairmont homes

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of podneypodney
    Participant
    @podney

Hello all,
    If any one out there can help us that would be fantastic.
    We made the big mistake of building with Fairmont homes on a block we subdivided. Total build time will be hitting 16 months if they finish on time, we were told within 12 months. The extra costs with them just keep on coming and yes we know now that we should of been more thorough with the contract, (First build so still learning). We know now for next time (not with Fairmont though).
    Does anyone know if it is possible to make them more accountable for their slow service and lack of customer care or just some how to speed them up. Or do we sit back and just keep it as lesson learnt??
    Received another $800 bill for a little bit of rubbish they found when doing the footings, on top of the $3000 extra for the footings and soil report. Funny but the contractor that took the soil away for me classed it as clean fill. (just dirt with little bit of rock). Apparently Fairmont needed to jack hammer a bit of bitumen, did not realize that fairmont don't have an excavator and dig the footings with pick and shovel. (where does it end) I have done work on the block myself and have dug down easily with just a dingo digger.  
    Fairmont seems to think that 16 months is an average build time these days and would be surprised if any builder could complete a home within 12 months. My in-laws have bought a block in QLD 8 weeks ago and will move in 1 month before our house is finished. March 2011. Total of 5 months.
    The home is in Nuriootpa SA about 1 hours drive from the CBD. We are only building a small 3 bedroom 2 bath home on a 380m2 block, nothing fancy just a spec home, the block is flat also. Thought it would be pretty simple.
    Are you allowed to put your own sign up saying how slow the company is and how much of a rip they are.
    The more people I speak to now the more I hear about this company.
    We are probably more frustrated that its taken so long as we need to move this house on so we can continue doing deals, we are at the bank borrowing limit for now.
    I know they have lost our business for any future builds and hopefully many others will learn not to use this company also.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers for now

Darren

Profile photo of illuminatiilluminati
    @illuminati

not sure about an individual, but in development you can take them to arbitration or mediation and claim the costs that the delay has caused you. but they will probably counter claim on the “rubbish” and the ground being too hard, you could present the soil samples etc… but basically it is a fight.

It is outside of court, and often heard by an industry expert who will try to fairly decide what is best.

if you really want to fight it, i would contact a lawyer and discuss your options.

i don’t think you can put up a sign saying how bad the company is… they can sue you for that. but you could put up reviews etc, such as what you have done here.

i was just googling and came across this which might give you some info
    http://www.buildingdisputes.info/ they are a disputes lawyer service, i know nothing about them. but the front page gives info on different disputes etc.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

ACA or fair trading. A slow builder is often a sign of poor project management skills or financial issues.

Have they given you a program for construction or put it in the contract? Have they claimed extensions of time? Have you approved them?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.