All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Got a bill from a conveyancer without even accepting them!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of justin71justin71
    @justin71

Hi guys,

So we put our house on the market.  Spoke to the agents rep, told them about a firm I used previously for conveyancing but sugested to her I would like to save some money this time and try just a sole conveyancer, not a solicitor buisiness.  So I got the paper work from the solicitor/conveyancer saying they have been asked to go ahead with proceedings for selling our prperty, and they enclose a questionaire to fill out with details about the property etc.  Next I email them stating I did not ask the agents rep to give them the go ahead and next day I have their bill for services for a title search and sewerage search for 72$.  Just wondering what right they have to act on a agents rep advice to act on my behalf when I have not even spoken to the solicitors?

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

None at all Justin. A title search will have cost them around $17 FYI. And if you did not even speak with them or contact them yourself you have no responsibility or liability legally OR ethically to pay. Sounds like a con based on the info you have provided.

Cheers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

You can’t go to market without a contract. So the searches won’t go to waste.

Profile photo of justin71justin71
    @justin71

Real kick in the guts from them, my contract with agents rep has their name with question mark after it at the top of contract note.  Really dont want to be bothered going via Vcat and everything and I contacted the other conveyancer the other day so chances are she has already done these searches as well so they will probably go to waste.  Should I just return the paper work to solicitors with a letter, or should I get agents rep to handle it?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Write back to them saying you didn't request them to act for you or authorise any searches to be done.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.