All Topics / General Property / houses under powerlines

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of RachieMRachieM
    @rachiem

houses close to or under powerlines

are they a terrible investment
    would you live in one
    how close would you go to powerlines

Profile photo of salukimelsalukimel
    @salukimel

Hiya RachieM
    Personally, after working in the Radionuclide industry for many years, I would not live under or close to high powerlines.
    Check out this info on ARPANSA's web site:
    http://www.arpansa.gov.au/RadiationProtection/Factsheets/is_emf.cfm

No scare tactics….just plain research data and figures.
    I guess it really is a personal thing.
    With regards to any form of radiation, my motto is 'Knowledge overcomes Fear'….

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Could cause dramas when reselling…..others will have the same concerns. However, if the price is right, it might be worth it.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

Not for me. Harder to rent, harder to sell.

Price will be lower to compensate, as will rent.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I live near power lines. Not the big boys but probably 1.5 times a norman street line The road in our estate runs parallel to them but my couldersac runs away. Not the greatest thing to see as you drive in but on the flip side it opens the estate up to views of the mountain.It has effected sales a small amount. For every 1 person that does not like them 10 would not care. Rents are great and sale prices are some of the best in the area. But like i said this is not the big boy ones on metal towers.
    It would really come down to each individual situation.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Depends how close they are to the property.

As devo notes not everyone cares. A few trees which cover/block your direct views onto the towers/wires sure help as what people can't see can't hurt them (so they think).

The jury is still out whether there is a link between powerlines and any ill health effects (other than to your wallet), likewise mobile phone towers etc.

Profile photo of Kaz YoungKaz Young
    Participant
    @kaz-young

Yeah, that's a tough one.  Personally I wouldn't be keen to live close to big powerlines but as an IP – well, someone else might be ok with it.  Sure you'll purchase it at a 'bargain price' – but that will be the same for when you want to resell down the track and you need to sell it at a bargain too!

If your plan was to hold it long term and you could get a decent return then worth considering.  Comes down to the numbers and your intention with the property.

Cheers and good luck!

Kaz

Profile photo of MarJacMarJac
    @marjac

Mortgage Insurers do not like high tension/voltage power lines at all and have a minimum distance requirement, although I can't recall what this distance is. It might be less than 100 metres or 300 metres

Some lenders may also have issues as some tend to follow LMI guidlines anyway if if less than 80% LVR

Profile photo of PropertyPanelPropertyPanel
    @propertypanel

There have been numerous studies some “proving” that there are no detrimental health effects caused by living close to power lines and others “proving” that their are (eg: http://www.radiationresearch.org/pdfs/breast_cancer.pdf). Both sides argue their cases strongly.

Personally I would not take even the slightest risk with my families health – There are plenty houses out there that are not close to powerlines so why take the chance?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

PP just like the ‘fly in the soup’, don’t tell anyone or they’ll all want one!

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

I saw one on the net on the weekend. It sounded cheap (in Sydney) and had a granny flat and a big block. Must admit I was getting rather excited.  It mentioned a power easement so I looked at Nearmap and it has a power tower IN the front yard. Searched RPdata and they've been trying to sell it for years. Didn't bother going to the open home.

Oh well I'll keep looking.

Profile photo of bumskinsbumskins
    Participant
    @bumskins

The really High Voltage Powerlines, especially on towers have a massive easement, which means you could have a large swab of your land that you are unable to build on (can get away with temporary structures, e.g. car ports etc) but they can be demolished and and removed at your cost. I can't exactly remember the distance, but think rotating the tower horizontally and that should give you an indication.

Profile photo of SjostromSjostrom
    @sjostrom

Good Evening

I can only answer that I wouldn't live near them, or buy a house near them for myself or IP.  I couldn't in good conscience expect tenants to live where I wouldn't.

I had friends looking to purchase near them once and I studied the research and yes, there were both sides of the coin.  A little like smoking 50 years ago, and look how that turned out!!

I may well be wrong, but I'm certainly not going to subject my health or that of my little daughter to the test.

Regards

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.