All Topics / Value Adding / Shop front fittout

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Join Date: 2010
    Post Count: 38

    Hi guys/gals

    I’m wanting to buy this shopfront near a city but still in surrounded by houses. Its empty. Was wandering if I do get it what can I do to generate some income quickest and best way. Shop is 90m2 + land is 460m2. Its also been DA approved for shop or office

    Can I throw in granny flat or something at back to help me with some income while I fit the shop out?

    Shud I borow. Lot more to help me through fitout stage?

    If all fitout is done is it possible to have granny flat at back and rent to both business and house?

    Any other ideas would b greatly appreciated?

    Profile photo of Daniel CameronDaniel Cameron
    Join Date: 2010
    Post Count: 46

    Depending how good the rental income is for shopping space in your area and how much demand you could apply for a change of use with a new DA application and convert the rear to a unit.

    Does it have car parks at rear does it have rear lane access or street access? Where is the toilet? How many toilets. I've done one through council and rent the rear out as well as a little front office business space up the street front 7×3 meters. To separate rents.

    You have to put a fire rated divider wall between both areas if going that way and fire extinguishers and a toilet in each area if you want a door way through the firewall if not a toilet to access through the back for both. Strange council rules but that's the way it is.

    Don't think Council will allow a granny flat N.S.W have new softened laws on Granny Flats not sure what they are! Possibly put a 20foot shipping container at the rear area for lease of storage space. Just an idea i have considered as well. Very strong quick and easy not sure of Council view on this as well.

    Profile photo of Nino and NinoNino and Nino
    Join Date: 2010
    Post Count: 4

    Hi Lana

    I am a urban planner and property development consultant based in Sydney's inner west.

    You could possibly do a Complying Development Certificate Application for the granny flat.

    What area are you located in?

    Happy to help you out and give further advice

    Feel free to send me a private message or call me to discuss further


    Nino and Nino
    0411 299 865

    Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Join Date: 2008
    Post Count: 970

    CDC development for granny flat by NSW planning is only for zone residential

    I am converting part of my house into the granny flat… pain in the arse dealing with the rules and regulation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.