All Topics / Help Needed! / pre auction offer

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of troy6225troy6225
    Participant
    @troy6225

Hi all,

Could someone give me some advice on how to go about putting in an offer on a property before it goes up for auction.
    Do i need to go through agent or should i approach vendor?
    Any advice on buying a property before it goes up for auction would be great.

Thanks Troy

Profile photo of LHLH
    Participant
    @lh

Hi Troy,

You can always try the vendor directly but they will no doubt point you in the direction of the agent (and even if they accept the agent will do his/her best to get a better offer). Sometimes you can get lucky and understanding the vendor's motivation to sell will help guide you here.
    If you go through the agent the general procedure is to give them the offer in writing, stipulating the amount, settlement terms, any conditions (such as inspection, valuation, finance etc) and an expiration date of the offer.

Bear in mind that if you make the offer within three clear business days of the auction date, you will forfeit your right to cool off on the offer.

A couple of tips in making the offer and the follow up:
     * Request to deal with listing agent only
     * Don't make an offer without first establishing the value of the property first
     * Don't appear excited (as they will use this to get more $$$ from you)
     * Don't chase them up after making the offer, let them come back to you and if they don't then your offer wasn't accepted

Also IMO agents don't like to sell prior to an auction. In a sellers market with favourable auction clearance rates, then the exposure they get from a successful sale is fantastic. They also gain benefits from the advertising up to the auction and of course the people on the street / in the rooms at the auction. They'll also want to get as many people through the property as possible, so if you see a heap of people walking through, then chances are the vendor (also being conditioned by the agent) will prefer to go to auction. If you notice that the place doesn't have the numbers in the frist couple of weeks, then it might be a great opportunity to go for it.

Best of luck, and if you're in the Melbourne area, we provide free workshops about home buying and the negotiation process that you're welcome to attend.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Be sure to put a sunset clause on your offer.  I'm partial to saying "This offer expires 5pm today" as it doesn't give the agent much time to show others through the property to compete with me.  In your case, be very sure you have a clause like this that expires soon, and that definitely expires prior to auction.  For eg, you don't want to say "hey guys, I offer you 3 million dollars for your property" and they say "oh, we'll go to auction thanks" and they do, and the highest bid is say, 2 million, and then the vendor comes back to you and expects to take you up on your offer of 3 million. 

Naturally, remember all the other subject to clauses you might need (eg subject to 80% finance, satisfactory building and pest inspection, specify how much your deposit is to be, and the settlement duration).

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of troy6225troy6225
    Participant
    @troy6225

Thanks

appreciate feedback, will be very useful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.