All Topics / Help Needed! / Development timeframes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of alex654321alex654321
    Participant
    @alex654321

hey everybody

I am curently have to do an assingment for my town planning course that involves creating a development feasibility study and i need some help.  I have to make an estimate for how long it would take to build a 2 storey retail/commercial building with a floor area of  2000m2, 2 x a 3 storey unit block with 5 units the top 2 floors and a carpark on the bottom.  I was also after info about how long it takes to lay down infastructure e.g. sewerage pipes, underground electricity, roads, water pipes ect……..

I know this is a pretty detailed question but if anyone could tell me where to find such infortmation or knows the anwsers themselves and could tell me it would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Profile photo of illuminatiilluminati
    @illuminati

Hey, i study construction management, and have had to do these as well. unfortunately the time data you’re after is just based on experience… there is no real guide available…. for costs there are! but time… no.

It’s really just a step by step process, guesstimates of how long it takes to excavate, pour, curing times, frame work, etc etc etc. wish i could help more… but really lots of it is either experience or guesses.

Could try look at similar buildings and work backwards to find out how long each stage takes… but times also vary state to state, as some construction workers are amazing, some are slack bastards!

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Yep, is a how long is a piece of string type of question, some things go to plan and go up in 6 months, some take 18 if council delays things or weather or materials delays.. etc etc.
    Civil works (sewer, roads etc) can also take a while.
    Easiest thing would be to ring a builder and ask. they'll only ever give you a guesstimate anyway.. but at least it'd be an accurate guess!

Good luck with the assignment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.