All Topics / Help Needed! / Which state is best to start buying an investment property in 2010 market conditions?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of wealthcreationwealthcreation
    @wealthcreation

Hi all,I am a newbie.I am looking buy an investment property.I often get confused with the news or data /reports showing different market conditions in 3 major capital states and cities i.e Sydney,Melbourne and Brisbane. Especiallly when reports say Brisbane market is flat and Melbourne & Sydney market are hot etc.I am not sure whether to buy in Brisbane market(QLD) or Sydney market (NSW) or Melbourne market(VIC).I live in QLD. Are there any additional costs if you buy inter-state? If yes,which ones and how much for $350 k property.My strategy is to go for a standard investment property with "buy and hold".I am looking into 10 years timeline.Budget about $300k-$350 k or $350k-$400k if can't find a well-located good property in a capital growth area.Where should I start for best outcomes, in Brisbane or Sydney or Melbourne ? (considering 2010 current state-wise market conditions & Australia's economic outlook)Time-line for investment 2010-2020.Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.Thanks.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Wealth Creation

Welcome to the forum.

You're right, there's a heap of information and it can seem pretty overwhelming when you begin. The important thing is to get clued up – read and absorb as much info as possible.

Personally, I think it's Brisbane's time to shine. Sydney, Melb and even Canberra, have experienced tremendous growth over the last 18 months. Brisbane on the other hand has remained relatively stagnant, perhaps even declining a little.

As activity begins to slow in Sydney and Melbourne, investors may start looking elsewhere – Brisbane is as good as place as any.

I like Logan in particular – rougher area but affordable buy in (you can pick up a 2 bedroom townhouse for $200k). Being smack bang between Gold Coast and Brisbane also helps.

In terms of different costs, etc – each state charges different amounts for stamp duty. You can use an online calculator to work it out.

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Positive ResultsPositive Results
    Participant
    @positive-results

Hi WC,

All three of these markets offer opportunities, we have had good purchases in all these areas this year.  The ultimate decision depends on your comfort zone, risk profile and personal preferences.  In investing there will always be more than one strategy that will get you from point A to point B however you need to consider each of these and see where you are most comfortable to start.  Where you start does not need to be where you finish, and your strategy will develop more clarity and direction as you start buying properties.

Examples for your budget in my experience this year with our clients:

Sydney:  There are some great buying opportunities at the bottom end of the market, and our clients who have purchased there this year have already received real capital growth, and gross rental returns on average of 7%.  This is a fantastic starting point in the Sydney market where traditionally in most capital growth locations your average gross rental return is 5%.  If your strategy is for 10 years then these investments will certainly be cash flow positive while positioned for even greater capital growth.  There are not many times when an investor is able to achieve both strategies so early in the one purchase.   If you can find a house and land deal there are no stamp duty costs on new purchases in NSW at the moment, this is a big saving however you will be looking a lot wider than the city 20km zone to find one of these.

Close to Brisbane in your price range you get less property, it depends on how far out of the city you want to go.  The outskirts of the city which are only 20 min drive to the CBD and on train lines are offering some great prices.  The capital growth has not really started to move upwards in these areas.  The flatness of the market often turns off investors as they for some reason feel more comfortable buying when there is a frenzy.  I have said it many times before, for some reason Australians like to pay full price for our assets yet we love a bargain when it comes to shoes, tools or other lifestyle expenses.  When it comes to property we only want it when the rest of the market wants it.   This year we have secured splitter blocks, duplex pairs and newer free standing homes in your price range.  The duplex pairs and splitter blocks allow you to manufacture growth in your investment before the market moves.  The newer properties offer an average return of 6% but also have a higher depreciation element providing with a good net return and low holding costs while you wait for capital growth to kick in.  There is high rental demand, large investment into infrastructure and jobs to secure the strength of future values.

Melbourne:  You can buy house and land packages in your price range, receive about a 5% return and depreciation.  There certainly a easy set and forget option.  The other options in this price range are units closer to the city.  Be aware of body corporate and sinking fund as ongoing holding costs in addition to your usual rates.

The main buying costs to allow for are stamp duty which varies in each state:  There are stamp duty calculators for each state you can use as a guide. Obviously you need a deposit for your purchase and need to cover solicitor fees. Also consider ongoing maintenance factors when you assess your potential purchases and make sure you get the right loan product matched to your needs for cash flow and debt reduction strategies.

All the best, don't let the choices paralyze you from keeping your momentum moving and securing an IP as you build your portfolio you can benefit from the flexibility that a large portfolio provides and the increased choices you have in controlling your financial future.

Positive Results | Educating Property Investors / We Find Houses
    http://wefindhouses.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Helping You To Invest With A Purpose To Finish With Successful Results

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1

Welcome to the forum

If you are looking for capital growth, you are right – it sounds like Melbourne has had it’s run and maybe Brisbane is the place to go. But it also seems like all the markets are slowing down – so maybe it’s time to be more cautious.

I read this yesterday – worth a read if your’re starting off. In fact worth a read for anyone;

http://propertyupdate.com.au/is-it-time-to-worry-about-our-property-markets.html

It’s probably worth subscribing to Michael Yardney’s newsletter or buying his books as he’s into capital growth. You’ll find many people on this forum prefer cash flow strategies.

I’d avoid the regional areas and stick with the capital cities

Profile photo of dtbaledtbale
    @dtbale

GEELONG, VIC! There is a lot of infastructure projects coming up in geelong i;e armstrong creek and estates in leopold which are major community/master planed estates.
    Geelong is still very affordable for your price range and is becoming a well known town, as recent world championship cycling was a great success for the town i would seriously put thought to geelong! its a great place to live
    geelong resident.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I prefer Brisbane but well i am slightly biased as i live here and all of my properties are based in SE Qld.

Still plenty of room for price increase and bring it on i say.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of wealthcreationwealthcreation
    @wealthcreation

Hi all,

Thanks for your valuable insights.

I am reading Michael Yarndey's book. It is interesting and useful.

I guess in 2010, affordability is key for buying an asset in any of 3 major markets in Australia.

I am also interested to find out about any historical studies done that shows trends in supply/demand Vs affordability in Brisbane,Sydney and Melbourne market for the past 100 years and projections of supply/demand for next 10-20 years.

Were there similar or worse conditions in the past as compared with 2010 (except the great depression, world wars etc)?

Any references to useful web-sites or articles is welcome.

My next question is whether to go for a house,townhouse or unit in 2010 ?
    Are there any good holding costs calculators available on-line?

Thank you very much again.

Sincerely,
    WC

Profile photo of mcgrandlesmcgrandles
    @mcgrandles
    wealthcreation wrote:
    Hi all,

Thanks for your valuable insights.

I am reading Michael Yarndey's book. It is interesting and useful.

I guess in 2010, affordability is key for buying an asset in any of 3 major markets in Australia.

I am also interested to find out about any historical studies done that shows trends in supply/demand Vs affordability in Brisbane,Sydney and Melbourne market for the past 100 years and projections of supply/demand for next 10-20 years.

Were there similar or worse conditions in the past as compared with 2010 (except the great depression, world wars etc)?

Any references to useful web-sites or articles is welcome.

My next question is whether to go for a house,townhouse or unit in 2010 ?

Thank you very much again.

Sincerely,
    WC

hi have a look at sa victor harbour or goolwa area great areas and are on the move you can buy a house for around 200.000 to 250.000 some even less close to shops beach ect and will rent out before the ink is dry on contract 

Profile photo of Charles 1Charles 1
    Participant
    @charles-1

The news over the week showed some research form BIS Schrapnel- they say Sydney, Perth and Adelaide will do the best over the next 3 years. brisbane not as well – Melbourne will be slow – it’s had it’s run.

Profile photo of wealthcreationwealthcreation
    @wealthcreation

Hi all,

Just wanted to say "Thank You" for your inputs.

As an update, I have started my property portfolio in Queensland.
    Purchased my 1 st IP in Queensland, a house.

So far, OK. Few minor repairs as maintenance. Found a tenant within 1 week after purchase.

Lets see how this asset shapes up.

Regards,
    WC

Profile photo of Andrew_AAndrew_A
    Participant
    @andrew_a

Well done WC, interested in any more details you are able to share.

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m
    wealthcreation wrote:

Hi WC

We have one on our website which might be helpful – http://www.passgo.com.au/pass-go-investment-property-analysis-tool

Cheers

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.