All Topics / Help Needed! / 2 Investment Properties, not working so no income – where is my tax benefit?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of tar_dolmatar_dolma
    @tar_dolma

I have two investment properties. The first I have had since 2005 and the title is 100% in my name. The second I have had since 2009 and the title is split 50% with my husband.
    After having my two children, I have decided to not work and be a stay at home mum.
    My question is, as I am not working and earning an income I have nothing to offset my investment losses against. How or when will I be able to get any tax benefit from them? Or am I better off selling them now?
    Any help or suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi tar_dolma

As you'd know, your husband can offset his losses on the property he has an interest in, right now.  Your losses will accrue indefinitely, until such time as you start to earn an income again, when you will be able to offset your accrued losses against your income.

As you have decided not to work, this has an effect on the total household income.  Possibly you could look at selling one of your properties with a vendor finance (VF) Instalment Contract.  This would allow you to fix both your capital gain on that property allow it to generate fixed monthly positive cash flow.  The plan being, for the fixed monthly positive cash flow to make up the negative gearing on the other property.

A sale of this type would generate cash flow at three points:
    1.  The deposit the incoming VF buyers pay
    2.  The positive monthly cash flow and
    3.  The "back-end profit", i.e. the difference between what you sell the property for and what you owe the bank on the property.

As you are selling to people who cannot get a traditional home loan, you can normally sell at a premium price.  In your situation, I'd probably not sell the property your husband has an interest in, as he is getting some tax benefit from his 50%.

However, please don't take any of the above as advice and consult your appropriate professionals.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of PC_MelbournePC_Melbourne
    @pc_melbourne

Hello there. You have not provided enough information to comment properly e.g. How much income does the household bring in, do you rent the investments and are they positive and do you accrue a healthy amount of savings interest?

This is not necessarily comments just for property. More so overall tax minimization.
    Suggestions are still based on a heap of variables.

Based on what you have said, and assuming your husband makes a good income & the company paying him is up for it.
    – Get salarys paid gross into a family trust. At tax time distribute ALL family trust monies to all members of the family including the kids.

This will assist in overall tax minimization if the income can be paid in this manner.

Thereafter any taxes owed between your Husband and You based on Distributed Funds can then be used by property expenses as deductions.

If the properties have Positive cashflow. Then the positive amounts accrued over the financial year is income your taxed on.
    Therefore you can deduct against that.

If you have money in term deposits of savings accounts. That is also deemed as income.

Once you structure your income properly, the expenses, depreciation, land tax etc on the properties become deductible.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj
    PC_Melbourne wrote:
    Based on what you have said, and assuming your husband makes a good income & the company paying him is up for it. – Get salarys paid gross into a family trust. At tax time distribute ALL family trust monies to all members of the family including the kids. This will assist in overall tax minimization if the income can be paid in this manner. 

Don't follow this advice.  This is a definite No No as far as the ATO is concerned.  Worst case scenario is you will be taxed on any distributions made to you and your husband will be taxed on the whole income. 

Remember before you can carry forward losses this is after applying any exempt income such as Family Tax Benefit.

What was your reason for investing?  Was it simply to get tax advantages now or did you actually have a purpose such as being able to afford to retire.

Profile photo of PC_MelbournePC_Melbourne
    @pc_melbourne

Should clarify that family trusts are if the scenario is you run your own business for profit distribution only.
    Can’t do that if your drawing a PAYG salary and is only a general tax minimization suggestion on overall income.
    Again as I dont have enough info to be specific just offering up ideas.

All scenarios should be run through a proper tax accountant.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If you are employed then using a trust to receive the wages won't really mean much as the individual doing the work will still be taxed – this is known as the alienation of personal services income. Nevertheless, it may still be possible to do it, or have it structured so that part of the work is attributed to a business run by a trust. There are some rules, PSI rules, that need to be over come for this to be possible.

Another way would be for the wife to run some sort of business so that she can be paid by the husband – this will reduce his income (assuming a business expense) and increase her income. This financial year individuals can earn up to $16,000 pa and pay no tax (taking into account low income rebates etc) so it has the potential to save a but of tax – especially if there are losses from prior years too.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tar_dolmatar_dolma
    @tar_dolma

Thanks for the answers.

Both properties are currently negatively geared.

I got into investments so I could do exactly what I am doing now. That is being a stay at home mum and still have an income. Both properties were brought as PPOR and I lived in them for certain amounts of time. When I/we were ready to upgrade and purchase, we brought a new house and didn't sell the previous and kept it as investments.

My husband is on an ok wage and we seem to be surviving on just that and what the government gives us as family assistance. He also runs a small freelance business on the side, but not enough to pay me a wage. So it is not necessary to sell at this stage to have the extra money.

I not sure if I want to do anything too difficult at the moment, I like to understand and be in control of things.

I wasn't aware that I could accrue my losses.

So, if in 5 years if I decide to sell my property I have 100% share in and say I make a $100,000 profit. Over that same time I have accrued $10,000 expenses/losses against that property, would I only have to pay capital gains tax on the difference being $90,000? And then my taxable income for the year would also be $90,000 (assuming that I still am not working) and this would be where my tax benefit is?

Or another scenario. If in 5 years, one of the properties becomes positively geared, meaning that I have to declare that as an income, could I then start claiming any losses from the previous years against this new found income?

Please let me know if either of these scenarios are possible. Thanks.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Say you have a loss of $10,000 this year (1st), then next year you have a $5,000 loss, the third year you will start off with a loss of $15,000.

You then sell a house and have a capital gain. say $100,000 capital gain. I think the loss is applied first – though actually it probably wouldn't apply first as your loses would be income tax losses, not capital losses. So I think you would just get the 50% CGT discount which would bring the CG down to about $50,000 (actually less as you would take into account various costs). This capital gain is added to your other income which is -$15,000. So your net income would be $35,000 and you would pay tax on that.

Say you didn't sell and in year 3 had postive $5,000 income your total income would then be still -$10,000, and in year 4 you had another $5,000 income so your total income would be -$5,000 etc etc

So it would be some time before you had to pay tax.

Also bear in mind that the centrelink has its own rules for calculating benefits

And I am not an accountant, so am not sure if the above is that correct, but it would give you an idea.

ps, if your husband has a business, why not have yourself run that business – assuming it is making a profit.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.