All Topics / Value Adding / Installing solar power to value add

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of michaellisamichaellisa
    @michaellisa

I am thinking of going solar for hot water and /or power generation to 1. reduce/replace power bill for the household and 2. add value to our home increasing our equity.

Has anyone done this and found it to be worthwhile. If so, I would think about this option in reno jobs to increase Investment Property values.

Regards
    Mick

Profile photo of Magpie2010Magpie2010
    @magpie2010

Hi Mick, not sure what state your in, but in Melb today on 3AW radio ,they had a segment on power utilities increasing the peak tarrif for electricity by 40% to those who have installleded Solar. Unbelievable they gode you into doing the right thing, and they sting you.. the listeners worked out it will cost them more.

Cheers

Tim

Profile photo of michaellisamichaellisa
    @michaellisa

Yeah thanks Tim. Makes it hard to know what to do.

I am in NSW and in an area that needs heating in winter and cooling in summer with the ducted reverse cycle system which, although cheap by camparison with other units being an inverter model, certainly puts the power bill up. I have heard there is technology around that enables you to have a gas fired power station type of setup for households to provide electricity. This is supposed to be cheaper to install and "greener" than solar. Have you heard about this or is anyone out there familiar wiyth this product and how do you rate it?

Regards

Mick.

Profile photo of crustycrusty
    Participant
    @crusty

My solar hot water systems were high maintainence and needed replacing  after short life, so were replaced with electric systems.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of House CallHouse Call
    @house-call

This is the best site I have found for all your information/calculations/discussions relating to anything green.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/

I have put solar panels and a solar HWS up on our house in a similar climate to what you describe (central NSW).  Would recommend the evacuated tube option for HWS.  Sorry never heard of your "gas fired power station type of setup for households to provide electricity" unless you meant gas boosted solar HWS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.