All Topics / Finance / Interest Rates on Hold

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Official cash rate unchanged at 4.5 per cent.

Interest rates have been on hold since May, following a string of rate rises since October last year.

The decision comes despite recent strong speeches by RBA officials in which they indicated rates may need to rise soon.

The minutes from the RBA's September board meeting, coupled with the recent Financial Stability Review, also made strong cases for a change to monetary policy.

Most economists were expecting an increase in the official cash rate.

TD Securities says while recent economic data and the near-term outlook did not demand a rate hike, the speeches and publications from the central bank needed to be followed by action.

ANZ and Westpac analysts also expected a rate rise because the RBA indicated it was concerned about the inflationary risks that will stem from the resources boom.

But some economists say the uncertainty in the global economy was likely to have prompted the RBA to hold fire.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ShwingShwing
    Participant
    @shwing

Thank you Glenn Stevens.

After being made redundant late last week, I though for sure I was going to get a kick while down.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Mal

Sorry to hear about the redundancy.

Hope you find something soon.

Cheers

Yours in Finance.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

I thought that I was going crazy…..

It felt like everywhere in the media was reporting an almost certain rate hike but the reality is…… I think it would have done very little to curb inflation driven by international demand for our resources.

As far as uncertainty in the global economy goes, im suprised that a rate rise was even on the cards. The US dollar is tanking, Europe is in pretty bad shape and I feel that we are currently economically at our short-term peak and things will deteriorate from here. If China, whom is very closely linked to the US monetary system suffers from significant further losses in the US dollar, our resources boom will be the first thing on the chopping block, if  that goes….. well its almost the only thing underpinning our economy at this point. Take a look at the true US deficit/national debt and divide that by the population if you want a small shock.

A small rant… My apologies, im not an economist and seldomly post here but given the instability globally at the moment I cant believe that a rate rise could be considered unless we move into a more currency based inflation/hyperinflationary model, then we would all pray that we fixed our rates.

Id love to hear other peoples' opinions on this, tell me that I am wrong/crazy.

Cheers

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

i feel the same way as you patriotsoldier

and also believe that this may have something to do with the uncertainty of the global economy.

there is a strong likelihood of another round of 'Quantitative Easing' this November =/

whether this will mean a stronger economy or weaker economy is debatable…

not sure about what everyone else is doing, but i'm investing heavily in gold and silver

@mickjohn

Thank god for that!

I too am investing in silver….. fairly heavily. A little more speculative than gold i know.

the next round of QE, i believe will do little to jump start the US economy….. Unless its significant, which could cause the pendulum to move heavily into they hyperinflationary scenario. I dont think the US will stand alone in that environment and it will have global implications.

I am reassured by your post. My strategy, although without Gold is similar. I am carefully considering increasing my holdings by using a large portion of $$ from my offset account. I know if I had of done that 30 days ago, id be well ahead regardless of whether it was in Gold or Silver and it looks as if there is still a lot of upwards movement to go.

I am interested to see, if people are buying RE at the moment…. it does seem a little quieter around this forum than it used to be.

Also, Kong, if you have finance on property, are you fixed or variable? I am currently variable but watching closely for a good opportunity to fix for at least 3 years. Just interested to see your thoughts.

thanks again!

Profile photo of kong71286kong71286
    Participant
    @kong71286

haha…

its good to see that there are likeminded people around =)

in my view Gold and Silver are the best investment of this decade

yourmoney.com.au showed that whilst the All Ordinaries index returned 49% and Australian homes returned 127% in the last 10 years, Gold returned 284%! (And still has a long way to go)

I might be wrong, but I think Gold will reach $1,500-2,000 next year, and eventually reach 1:1 ratio with the Dow

And Silver will outperform gold, as the gold:silver ratio is quite high at the moment, and historically has been around 17.5:1

Are you investing in physical silver or Silver mining shares or both? Which companies are you investing in?

I intended to invest heavily in Hecla Mining Company, because of their large portfolio, strong financial management and longetivity… They've been here for over 100 years, and I think they will still be here in the many years to come… However, HL is not available on my E-trade Australia Global share trading account, so I will need to change my plan

As for financing I would opt to go for fixed regardless of whether I am investing in properties, shares or commodities, and I would avoid any consumer debts

Kind Regards,

Kong

@mickjohn

Hey,

Consumer debt = nil
    Variable finance = still considering going fixed.

Currently I am investing in physical silver. I have set a goal and will have achieved that goal within the fortnight. After that I intend to look into more potentially spec stocks. I am yet to do thorough research for prospects on that. I have been focused on building my physical as a base and im not sure that I will move into stocks, but I do believe resource backed stocks have to be a fantastic opportunity over the coming few years.

I may be the only one in Australia, but i believe that interest rates may hold beyond Christmas may have one or 2 rate rises after that and in fact by mid next year -drop off slightly. If there is a drop, that is when I would like to fix. It is an optimistic belief i know. Willing to eat my own words.

Cheers

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi all,

I'm looking to put some money into gold also. What is the most reputable company/way to hold physical gold? I'm cashing out some shares to put that into gold. I agree with you Kong on where you think gold is headed price wise. Many people will see it as the safe bet.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

@mickjohn

Dependant on your capital, location and your ability to securely store Precious Metals, there are a couple of options.
    The number of bullion dealers in Australia is growing at a good rate with presence in most states/capital cities.

Perth mint also offer a few services, you can purchase online/over the phone and they will ship to you(with insurance). They also offer a storage facility i believe.

Otherwise Ebay is an option which i wouldnt recommend due to increasing fraud-like activity, you could do a search for forums in Australia that are focussed on precious metals, there are always deals going there by current physical holders of Gold and Silver.

Good luck.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks patriotsoldier. I had a quick look at the perth mint website. There was so many options when I googled it. I'll keep checking.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.