All Topics / Overseas Deals / MIAMI (ad)VICE

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 395 total)
  • Profile photo of white_goodmanwhite_goodman
    Participant
    @white_goodman
    British Buyer wrote:
    That's an amazing interest rate you've been offered.  I guess it's because you have an SSN and credit history.  The lowest I've been offered is 4.63%.  Perhaps your rate will be even lower, what with Bernanke's controversial quantitative easing plan just starting to hit the market.

their is still literature and talk from Fed members for a slight increase in rates, i cant imagine it actually rising till June and this new round of treasury buying is done…

regarding condos, if i had 35k would i be able to get a loan to buy one then a second one shortly after or is it straight cash? is HOA bodies going belly up a significant risk from what youve gathered BB?

Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer
    white_goodman wrote:
    British Buyer wrote:
    That's an amazing interest rate you've been offered.  I guess it's because you have an SSN and credit history.  The lowest I've been offered is 4.63%.  Perhaps your rate will be even lower, what with Bernanke's controversial quantitative easing plan just starting to hit the market.

their is still literature and talk from Fed members for a slight increase in rates, i cant imagine it actually rising till June and this new round of treasury buying is done…

regarding condos, if i had 35k would i be able to get a loan to buy one then a second one shortly after or is it straight cash? is HOA bodies going belly up a significant risk from what youve gathered BB?

HI THERE

You have just pinpointed the major dilemma when deciding how to invest your $$ in this market.

Both single family homes and condos priced about $100K and up can get financing (70% LTV), although it's easier to get financing for a SFH, simply because if it's a condo the bank needs you to get a questionaire filled out by the HOA to state the following:
    1. They have cash reserves
    2. More than 50% of units have been sold

But the place to make the highest rental returns is the condo market priced 15K to 50K, and no banks, no matter you are a US citizen or a foreigner, will lend on that amount.  This means you must go to the hard money market, where you'll be charged rates upwards of 9%, which will eat away your profits.

One thing I'm intending to look into today is the multifamily home market.  There are many "buildings" (ranging from duplex to 10-units) in the 100K to 400K market.  I will first find out if it's possible to get financing on them, and if so I'll go and see some.

Yesterday, while in the realtor's office, everybody congratulated a client and his realtor for just closing an REO deal (happens every time I visit, so the market is very much alive and kicking).  I went over to chat to the client (the buyer) but he couldn't speak a word of English.  My realtor (who is originally from Ecuador) helped me with translation.

The buyer is from Argentina.  He is a realtor in Buenos Aires.  He heard that Miami is super-cheap, so he got together some investors with cash, and flew over to take a look.  His impression was "the cheapest areas in Buenos Aires are more expensive than Miami's expensive areas".

So he put in an offer on an 8-unit multifamily REO, paying cash.  He told me he is sure he can get local cash-out financing with about 5.7% interest and an LTV of 70%. 

Back to your question: "is HOA bodies going belly up a significant risk from what youve gathered BB?"

I see no such risk with older buildings (anything built before 2005), simply because the older buildings are cheaper, which means they're fuller, so the HOAs get their necessary income.  I have heard repeatedly, and seen with my own eyes, that the rental market is hot.  People need places to rent badly, since NOBODY local is buying property to live in.  For US citizens right now, it seems that buying property is about as popular as eating broken glass. 

Using logic, I don't think that any of these established buildings would have HOA problems because the owners are either:
    1. living in them, so they pay HOA fees
    2. living in them but about to lose the place, in which case they're trying to do a short sale and will still pay HOA fees since they can't do a short if there are liens on the property
    3. banks (after a foreclosure) – they don't have to pay the HOA fees during this period, but once they put it on the market it'll be snapped up by investors, who'll then pay their HOA fees.

One property I've been watching for 3 months already (via Trulia) is a waterside condo that has great views.  Units sell for $50K to 80K, but every time an REO hits the market they go for 30K to 40K.  There were some REOs in the building that came out before I arrived in Miami, but they all had DOM's (days on the market) of just 5 or 6 days (ie. they were snapped up immediately). 
    There haven't been any REO's in that building since I arrived, so I haven't had a chance to make any offers.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Since I'm now starting to look into the rental return market while I wait to hear back about my waterside REO (since it's the weekend I have to wait until at least Monday), let me give any novice investors out there a quick  PROPERTY INVESTING 101 lesson.

It's called the 1% rule.

Basically, when you're looking at single-family homes that you plan to rent out, don't touch anything in which:

THE MONTHLY RENT you can get for it IS LESS THAN 1% OF THE SALES PRICE.

For example, yesterday I looked at a few beautiful single family homes priced around 200K.  Problem is, you could only rent them out for about $1,800 a month.  Using the 1% RULE, these are bad investments (the monthly rent divided by the total price is only 0.9%, ie. 1.8 divided by 200).  Bad investment unless you're just hoping to make capital gains.  I say it's a bad investment because don't forget that you'll still have to pay property taxes (about $300), and flood and hazard insurance ($300) bringing your rental income down to $1,200 per month.  That is an annual rental income of 14.4K, which in turn is a rental return of 7.2% (but because it is a SFH you will have to do a fair amount of maintenance, and have a garden service as well, which will further cut into your profit).

CONCLUSION: Using the 1% rule in the Miami SFH market means that if you find a home where the rent is at least 1% of the total price, you'll make upwards of 7% rental return.

Here's how the Miami rental market for condos is working:

The lowest average amount a single person, or a couple, can pay for a 1-bed condo or a studio is $850. If we we were using the 1% RULE, we'd have found an condo at a cost of $85K.

Because it's a condo, you then need to factor in that you'll lose about half of your income of $850 paying for HOA and property taxes.  That leaves $425 per month, which is a total annual income of $5,100.   Since we paid 85K, that's a rental return of only 6%.

CONCLUSION: When you're looking at condos to buy-to-let, don't use the 1% rule.  Go for a  2% rule (since it looks possible to find such deals).  Here's an example of a 2% rule condo:

If the monthly rent is $850, but you only paid 42.5K, your annual rental income of $5,100 divided by $42,500 gives you a rental income of 12%.  And because it's an unfurnished condo, you have low maintenance costs.  Another good thing about condos is that the HOA fees include your insurance (to the building, not to the interior of your unit).  In addition, since it's Miami, most buildings have a pool and/or gym, which is an attraction to the renter.

Profile photo of snappytomsnappytom
    @snappytom
    British Buyer wrote:

Why is it that you're concentrating on the west coast of Florida?

Whilst living in the US we did go to Clearwater for a vacation once and thought it was a nice place.

(What I say now though is based purely upon speculation and an image of Miami gained from tv/movies.) I think Miami is more a "cool people" destination. What I mean by that is it is somewhere people go to hang out on the beach and look good, go out to night clubs, drive along the beach in there fancy cars, etc. My days of doing that are long gone (mid 30's with 2 kids < 3).

As the property we are after will mostly be used by my wife and kids whilst I am away, we want  a destination which is a bit more relaxed. Also, it is less then 2 hours to drive to Disney from there which gives a good option of something to do with the kids where as it is 4 hrs from Miami.

Whilst I haven't researched the Miami area, I have a feeling the value for money I can get on the west is slightly better (canal water front, close to beach, 3+ bed, acceptable condition) for ~$300k because it doesn't have the "cool" premium you get in Miami.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    snappytom wrote:
    British Buyer wrote:

Why is it that you're concentrating on the west coast of Florida?

Whilst living in the US we did go to Clearwater for a vacation once and thought it was a nice place.

(What I say now though is based purely upon speculation and an image of Miami gained from tv/movies.) I think Miami is more a "cool people" destination. What I mean by that is it is somewhere people go to hang out on the beach and look good, go out to night clubs, drive along the beach in there fancy cars, etc. My days of doing that are long gone (mid 30's with 2 kids < 3).

As the property we are after will mostly be used by my wife and kids whilst I am away, we want  a destination which is a bit more relaxed. Also, it is less then 2 hours to drive to Disney from there which gives a good option of something to do with the kids where as it is 4 hrs from Miami.

Whilst I haven't researched the Miami area, I have a feeling the value for money I can get on the west is slightly better (canal water front, close to beach, 3+ bed, acceptable condition) for ~$300k because it doesn't have the "cool" premium you get in Miami.

I understand your thinking.  I too am not one for buying a red Ferrari and cruising the drag.

However, if you're looking for something quieter, on the northern side of Miami Beach is the last little seaside suburb, known as Surfside.  You can get a cottage there for about 300K to 350K, and you're just a couple of blocks to the beach, and you're also just a short bridge from the city (and just 5 minutes from the millionaire-hangout of Bal Harbour).

Then again, it's a long drive to Orlando!

cheers
    Steve

Profile photo of Sam WilsonSam Wilson
    @sam-wilson

Hi All.  Thanks very much for all the insights posted on this forum. I'm at very early stages of considering investment in the US and have found this discussion very helpful and informative.  I really appreciate the opportunity to learn from your various experiences and research so thanks for your generosity in sharing information.  James, I would be very interested in a copy of your loan comparison spreadsheet if you wouldn't mind. Not sure how to contact you directly, could you pls provide details?

Sam

Profile photo of bumskinsbumskins
    Participant
    @bumskins

British Buyer, what are your current thoughts on the foreclosure fraud issues mentioned of past ? (or possibly even current?) Are you now satisified that banks have done proper(bullet-tight) due-dilligence on the properties they are listing/have relisted? If not what do you intend to do to protect yourself.

Also what are people's thoughts & feelings about the US & QE2? Will this affect the timing of when you decide to buy?

Profile photo of white_goodmanwhite_goodman
    Participant
    @white_goodman
    bumskins wrote:

British Buyer, what are your current thoughts on the foreclosure fraud issues mentioned of past ? (or possibly even current?) Are you now satisified that banks have done proper(bullet-tight) due-dilligence on the properties they are listing/have relisted? If not what do you intend to do to protect yourself.

Also what are people's thoughts & feelings about the US & QE2? Will this affect the timing of when you decide to buy?

economically speaking QE2 is ridiculous, counter fiscal policy and Keynesian economics is terrible flawed IMO… however from an investing standpoint (property and stocks etc) its putting an artificial floor in the market, and any hint of deflation will be met with further stimulus.

Basically the Fed is Gandalf… "you shall not pass!"

Participant
    @british-buyer
    bumskins wrote:

I'm seeing and learning so much every day, and as a result my knowledge and understanding constantly evolve, so it's easy to forget what my previous concerns were.

I now do not think that the Foreclosure Fiasco was a serious problem.  It seems the media just blew it all out of proportion, and the big banks (the ones most concerned about their reputation) played along, pretending to halt foreclosures while they cleaned up their books. 

I have certainly been seeing new REOs coming onto the market while I'm here.  Unfortunately I wasn't here earlier this year, so I can't make a comparison.  However, no agents I've met have mentioned noticing a foreclosure moratorium.

One very interesting event that took place this week was as follows (sometimes I get rather verbose, and I know lots of people don't have time to go through all the postings I've made, so I'm going to CAPS LOCK AND BOLD this next comment since it's pretty important and I want it to stand out for all to see):

ON NOVEMBER 1 (6 DAYS AGO) THE MIAMI GOVERNMENT CAME OUT WITH THEIR NEW TAX ASSESSMENTS FOR EVERY SINGLE PROPERTY IN MIAMI
    (Miami property taxes are calculated at roughly 2% of the estimated property value, but because properties were overvalued during the bubble, property taxes over the past few years have been too high for comfort as they've still been reflecting previous bubble-prices).

ACCORDING TO THE LATEST GOVERNMENT TAX ASSESSMENT, GENERALLY SPEAKING 2010 PROPERTY TAXES ARE ABOUT 30% CHEAPER THAN 2009 TAXES.

THIS IS VERY SIGNIFICANT FOR MIAMI PROPERTY IN THE LONG RUN.  APPARENTLY THE MIAMI GOV. HAS REALISED THAT THE HIGH PROPERTY TAXES WERE ONE OF THE MAIN IMPEDIMENTS TO LOCALS BUYING PROPERTY, SO THEY'VE REDUCED PROPERTY TAXES WHILE RAISING OTHER TAXES.

The single greatest impediment to enticing people to buy property was the fact that taxes were too high, and as a result people preferred to rent than to buy.

That is no longer the case.  A lot of renters (people I've spoken to yesterday and today while visiting condos for sale) have told me they are already looking to buy, since it's now cheaper to buy and pay your property tax + HOA fees than it is to rent.

Here I need to add some more very important info.

THERE IS SOMETHING CALLED THE HOMESTEAD EXEMPTION.  IT MEANS THAT THE FIRST 25K OF YOUR PROPERTY'S VALUE IS TAX-FREE, SO LONG AS YOU, THE OWNER, LIVE IN IT.

SO IF YOU BUY A CONDO FOR 30K, YOU'LL ONLY BE TAXED 2% OF THE EXCESS 5K, WHICH IS ONLY $100 PER YEAR, OR ABOUT $9 PER MONTH.

NOW LET'S DO THE MATHS TO FIND OUT WHY IT'S CHEAPER TO BUY THAN TO RENT.

IF YOU BUY A 1 BED 1 BATH CONDO FOR 30K, IN A NICE AREA (NEAR THE INTERCOASTAL WATERWAY) BUT WITHOUT A WATER VIEW, YOUR HOA FEE WILL BE $250 PER MONTH.

TO THIS $250 YOU ADD THE $9 FOR PROPERTY TAXES.  TOTAL = $259 PER MONTH

IF YOU GET A LOAN AT ABOUT 4% INTEREST (FOR US CITIZENS) YOUR INTEREST WILL BE $143 (30-YEAR FIXED LOAN ON 30K AT 4%)

SO YOUR TOTAL MONTHLY COST WILL BE $259 + $143 = $402

COMPARE THIS TO THE COST OF RENTING, WHICH IS $850!

THIS IS WHY I'M CONVINCED LOCALS ARE GOING TO START SNAPPING UP THESE CHEAP CONDOS SHORTLY.

Profile photo of ChuiChui
    Participant
    @chui

Steve,

British Buyer wrote:
    IF YOU BUY A 1 BED 1 BATH CONDO FOR 30K, IN A NICE AREA (NEAR THE INTERCOASTAL WATERWAY) BUT WITHOUT A WATER VIEW, YOUR HOA FEE WILL BE $250 PER MONTH.

TO THIS $250 YOU ADD THE $9 FOR PROPERTY TAXES. 

30k would be the purchase price, not necessarily the assessed value. I saw some pretty horrific property taxes on Zillow for some cheaper dinghy-looking SFR in Miami.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    Chui wrote:
    Steve,

British Buyer wrote:

30k would be the purchase price, not necessarily the assessed value. I saw some pretty horrific property taxes on Zillow for some cheaper dinghy-looking SFR in Miami.

Hi Chui

since finding my "dream home" (the waterfront REO SFH I put in a cash offer for $281K for) I haven't made any new offers.  I'm still nervously awaiting the outcome.

However, I've been staying busy.

I've started compiling a list of condo buildings in good areas (they're all on the east coast of the city near the intercoastal waterway) where it's possible to pick up 30K REO's (but you have to wait until they hit the market, and pounce as soon as they do).  My list only includes:

1. buildings I've visited myself and chatted to tenants/owners, and checked out the entrance hall, the elevators, the gardens, and the parking
    2. HOA no higher than $300 per month
    3. tenants all middle-class and professional (which generally goes without saying because the minimum monthly rental for a 1 bed 1 bath is $800)
    4. have a well-equipped gym
    5 have a clean pool

Why am I making this list?

My current strategy is as follows:

Buy the waterfront SFH (my dream home) and failing that, get a different SFH that's also an REO.  This home will cost over $200K, so I'll easily get financing. 

I'll then return to China.  Since I really trust my current realtor, and also because I have my "Steve's List" of condo buildings I've visited personally and on the basis of which my realtor has set up an automatic search,  every time a 30K REO comes onto the market, she'll help me to put in a cash offer, so that I can buy even in absentia.

Over the next few months to a year I'll buy up as many of these condos as time allows, using cash, and then my realtor will help me to rent them out.  She already does that for all her international clients, and I see her all day working on this while I'm driving her around to view REO condos.  Because I'll rent out the condos unfurnished (which is the norm in Miami) I won't need a property management company.

I'll then hold on to all my rental condos, and continue adding to the portfolio, until the market turns.  When it does, I'll already have a credit history (because of my mortgage on the SFH) and I'll either start flipping the condos, or just get cash-out financing on them.  I've checked with a few mortgage brokers and they're sure that financing on investment properties in the 50K range (that's what my 30K condos will be worth by then) will return as soon as prices start to rise (back in the "good ol' days of pre-crisis" you could easily get financing for 50K condos).

Participant
    @british-buyer
    Chui wrote:
    Steve,

British Buyer wrote:

Chui

I forgot to mention that if you want to find the most recent assessed price for any property in Miami (ie. the amount of property tax you'll pay) go to this government website:

http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyHome/propmap.asp

Under Select Item, choose Address, and type in any address

It's a great site because it also shows you the price history of every property.

It seems it's hard to find an REO in Miami that isn't for sale at less than 30% of the 2006 high!

Participant
    @british-buyer

Hi

I've had a surprising number of people contact me (via e-mail) requesting advice and info pertaining to investing in the Miami property market for both capital gains and rental returns.

Also, a lot of people have requested more info on lenders willing to make loans to foreign investors.

As I just mentioned in a previous post, I'm working with my realtor to create something that I'm starting to think of as "Steve's List".

Although it won't be anywhere near as heroic as Schindler's, it will at least be as altruistic, and should prove to be extremely useful to anyone trying to pick up a cheap REOs in Miami.

This list will be divided into 2 sections:

1. REO condos priced 20K to 40K that have just hit the market, and will give good rental returns (10% to upwards rental return after paying HOA and Prop. Tax).  The condos these buildings are in will all have been checked by myself and my realtor, will all be in good areas, and will all have pools and gyms.

2. REO Single Family Homes that have just hit the market, that are priced between about 120K and 350K (so as to ensure that they are expensive enough to be  in good areas, but not too cheap so as to rule out financing opportunities), and that should offer about 6 to 8% rental returns, and very good capital gains opportunities.

This list will be automatically generated by setting up parameters using the MLS listing for Miami (ie. if condos, according to buildings I've already checked out, or if SFHs, according to areas I've already visited). 

My realtor will automatically receive daily updates (from the Miami MLS listings) to add to this list.  I shall make this list available to the public (free of charge).   However, I won't publicly display the list, so as to reduce the number of people making concurrent bids, and thereby working at odds with each other. 

If you're interested in access to the list, you just need to e-mail me.  Once you've located an REO that interests you, you can make contact with my realtor and make bids of your own, according to the price asked by the bank.  There would be absolutely no fee charged by my realtor since she makes her commission (3%) from the seller (ie. the bank).

In addition, my realtor belongs to a realty co. that has a subsidiary that deals with financing for purchases by foreigners, so you can ask her what her company's best interest rate is for the property you're interested in.  If you don't visit Miami you will probably need to use this kind of service.  If you are able to visit you can just do the rounds of the banks that have Foreign Lender Programs.

Not a bad deal for you guys, no matter you decide to visit Miami or not. 

Only one condition, if you make any great purchases, you need to treat me to a meal next time we're both in MIami at the same time!

Participant
    @british-buyer

HI KEVIN

(I just received an e-mail from Kevin asking my thoughts on LLC's and asset protection.  Since it's a relevant topic, I've decided to reply on the forum for all to see).

My current thinking is that LLC's serve no purpose other than when you sell (if your property is in an LLC you don't get any money withheld by the buyer).

LLC's only other advantages are:
    1. get around rent withholding (but if your agent is collecting your rent, the buyer won't even know you're a foreigner)
    2. protection against lawsuits (but for this you should just purchase landlord's insurance)

The major disadvantage of having your property in an LLC is that you've drastically reduced the number of lenders who might now, or in the future, give you a loan on that property (the majority of lenders don't like to lend to an LLC).

So to get around having $ withheld when you sell, while not ruling out lenders who'll lend only to private individuals, it seems to me the best way is not to use an LLC until the last moment (just put it in an LLC a month before you sell).

That's the advice I've received from a guy who seemed very on the ball.

Participant
    @british-buyer

I just received an e-mail from someone asking if it's possible (or how easy is it) to buy a property in Miami (particularly an REO) without flying here.

I haven't looked into this yet, but I understand the buying process, so here's what I currently THINK the answer is (but will have to check up on it)

The first offer made on your behalf by the realtor (even when you're in Miami sitting at her side) is done by signing the forms on which you make your offer, and she then e-mails the bank a scanned version.  No more signing is required until about 1 month later, on the Closing Day.  During that one month period (which is referred to as the Inspection Period) you are supposed to be having the property checked out (physically by a building company), and legally (by doing a title search to check there are no outstanding liens against the property).  Liens can include:

1. money is owed by the property since the old owner didn't pay his property tax or his HOA fees
    2. lawsuits against the property since the old owner had renovations done, but didn't pay the renovation company
    3. fines against the property because the person did illegal alterations that violated the building code

Banks are not supposed to sell REOs until they've personally seen to all the liens (ie. done their own title search, and paid all the fines).  However, it can happen that when the bank was doing its search, a particular liens hadn't come out yet, so this is why it's good to do your own follow-up title search.

The realty co. provides both these services for a small fee (I think about $250 each).

if you decide, about 10 days into the inspection period, that you want to go ahead with the purchase, you should immediately sign the Closing Contract (which the realtor would e-mail to you) and send the original by DHL, so that it's ready on Closing Day.  The realtor would then receive the keys on your behalf.

I just mentioned the whole process, from making an offer up to Closing Day, is about 30 days.  That seems to be the norm, but both sides (ie. the buyer and the seller) have a fair amount of leeway because the contract leaves a space to fill in what closing date you prefer.  Obviously, you can't write a ridiculous date (eg. 2 months after making an offer).  You could if you wanted to, but when the bank is reviewing all it's offers, they will see your strange request and probably not consider your offer.

Participant
    @chui

This one just came in through the mail. (for Delray Beach FL)

http://imgur.com/a/ffZ3r/delray_beach_fl

Looking up Zillow:

http://www.zillow.com/homes/511-nw-50th-Ave,-Delray-Beach-FL-33445_rb/0-_baths/0-_beds/

Offered at $43,900, ZEstimated at $94,500, valuation range 68k-105k.

This is described as a “condo home”. Is this correct? I thought condos were apartments.
    Update Wikipedia clarifies

Quote:
    It is also possible for condominiums to consist of single family dwellings: so-called “detached condominiums” where homeowners do not maintain the exteriors of the dwellings, yards, etc. or “site condominiums” where the owner has more control and possible ownership (as in a “whole lot” or “lot line” condominium) over the exterior appearance. These structures are preferred by some planned neighborhoods and gated communities.

According to email, 2009 taxes were $1448, but Zillow reported $2977. That’s odd.

The HOA fees were minimal.

Comps were 50k, 56k but for 3BR 2B.

Rentals: not tenanted, but nearby properties 2B 1.5B offered at 1150/mo Using Steve’s 2% rule, we arrive at price of no more than $57k. It then depends on how much does it cost to fix the place up – coat of paint, cleanup yard. etc.

The known issue is the question mark over taxes, at $2977 would amount to 20% of the rental income, while at $1448 amounts to only 10%.

Say final cost after repairs at $56k

Assuming rental property agent charges 1 month’s letting fee (and tenant leases for 2 years), 10% of revenue, $1k insurance/maintenance per year
    Then, the return rate is
    (1150*12-1448-240-1150/2 – 1150*12*0.1-1000)/56000
    is around 16%

Are there anything else (unknown unknowns) that needs to be taken into consideration?

In terms of housing affordability, according Wikipedia “median income for a family was $51,195”. This kicks butt compared to housing affordability in Australia, which is running at in the 8s in Sydney.

Participant
    @british-buyer

HI CHUI

To find this years property tax on that condo, use this government site:

http://gisims2.miamidade.gov/MyHome/propmap.asp

Just type in the address (if you have it).  You'll see this year's assessed price (ie. assessed by the tax dept.), so to get the property tax multiply by 2%.

It's a great site, because it will also show you all the previous sales history on the property.

Participant
    @chui

Thanks Steve.

I couldn’t find the said property on the MiamiDade website. I wonder if Miami-Dade is not Delray Beach. Delray Beach is just north of Boca Raton. It’s about an hour’s drive from Miami-Dade. It sounds like a small residential community (pop:60k).

My gut feel is to avoid it, because it is an hour’s drive from Miami Beach. A small residential community of 60k has less upside. You can always modify a building, but you can never change it’s location.

Another observation: the photo of the building consists of two properties, 509 and 511. Perhaps this is why it is classified as a condo. The larger/tidier one is 509 (not for sale). I wonder if it used to be a single residence that has been subdivided. No wonder the living room looked longish.

Here is another one in Delray Beach. This 2BR 2B has just been on the market for 3 days. $54900 14549 Canalview Drive #A, Delray Beach FL 33484. The building is in much better condition.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Today I looked at condos that I'd estimate are about 7.5 times cheaper than the equivalent in China's only city with tropical beaches: Sanya, on Hainan Island.

For example, I saw a south-facing, 80 square metre, 7th floor, 2 bedroom 2bathroom, with balcony looking down at a pool and a waterway (where you could conceivably moor your yacht alongside all the others) with an unobstructed view to downtown Miami in the distance, and the islands to your east.  The asking price was $70K.  The entrance hall looks smart, the gym a bit small but fully equipped.  The HOA fees were reasonable (about $400 per month).  The area is safe, and the street its on very beautiful.

The only thing making the comparison with China difficult, is that this building is from 1973, whereas in China all highrises are new.  However, the Miami buildings have been well-cared for (because the HOA fee is so high).

Despite the above condo looking cheap at the price, it's a bad investment as a rental return.  You could only rent out for $1,000, which probably only leaves about $400 per month profit, or $4,800 per year, which is a rental return of 6.86%

Participant
    @british-buyer

I just got an e-mail from someone interested in the Miami market, asking why properties are listed on Trulia for $1,000K

These prices do not appear on the MLS site, and they are in no way real (obviously!)

They may be the price that the bank will set the first bid of the auction at after they've foreclosed.  In other words, these properties are not short sales, and they're not REOs, but are heading for the auction on the courthouse steps.

One other possibility is that the person listing these properties (realtytrac.com) is trying to attract your attention, and get you to sign up for their service. 

Do not waste your money signing up for realtytrac.  I already tried that, and cancelled my subscription as soon as I realised that the "extra" info they were providing was adding more confusion than clarity.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.