All Topics / Overseas Deals / MIAMI (ad)VICE

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 395 total)
  • Profile photo of MinimanMiniman
    @miniman

The wife and I have been giving this a lot of thought over the last few days, condo v SFR. We have decided to go for just 1 condo close to the beach for our own future use and then the rest SFR. At the end of the day if they don’t make land anymore so for long term investment we feel SFR is the way to go.

Yes maintenance may be an issue but based on the inspection report we were provided for our last purchase not much gets missed and a very detailed report was prepared. Newer properties should be relatively maintenance free.

Seems a lot of these condo HOA fees bend you over and give it to you right up the mangina!

Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer

My current opinion of the Miami market:

I have not heard anyone say there are any signs of a turnaround yet.

I have heard some people (not agents, just average folk) mention that if you want to buy near the sea it's best to buy before the Snowbirds fly in from Canada and Europe, since they tend to buy up all the best properties with water views or within walking distance of the beach.

I cannot give any opinions on the buy-to-rent market, since the first property that I'll buy is just for personal use.  I may rent it out from time to time, but primarily I want a spot to enjoy with my family.

I'll start looking into rental properties later, so please be patient.  Even the realtors I've been dealing with (all situated on Miami Beach) are clueless about the rental market since they deal only with foreign cash buyers of island properties.

Today I saw a property I really want, so although it won't be the kind of property most readers are interested in, read below to find out my first experience of REOs.

The property I want is a single-family home, and it's an REO.  It was listed only 2 days ago.  The listing price is just over $220K.  It's within walking distance of the beach (about 100 metres). 

All the other similar size houses nearby are selling for $500K plus.  

So why on earth is the realtor who represents the bank listing the house for only $220K?

It appears that they list too low simply to attract lots of viewers.  A whole bunch of novice investors (like myself) will look at the property, think it's lovely, and bid $210K.  These kinds of bids won't even be in the running when the bank makes its decision.

Experienced investors will realise that the house is worth at least $400K, so they'll bid anywhere from $250K to $400K, and one of them will be the lucky winner.  Of course, if you bid 400K and you get the property, you might not be a winner if prices go down further.  And if you bid 350K and get the property, you may always wonder if perhaps you wouldn't have won the bidding if you'd only offered 300K.  And if you offered 280K and then didn't win the bid, and later you find out the property sold for $290K you'll always be kicking yourself.

So as you can see, REOs are just another form of auction.  They are the auction that takes place after the action at the court house steps that returned the property to the ownership of the bank.

I'm gonna be up all night figuring out whether I should bid $250K, 300K, or more.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    Miniman wrote:
    The wife and I have been giving this a lot of thought over the last few days, condo v SFR. We have decided to go for just 1 condo close to the beach for our own future use and then the rest SFR. At the end of the day if they don't make land anymore so for long term investment we feel SFR is the way to go. Yes maintenance may be an issue but based on the inspection report we were provided for our last purchase not much gets missed and a very detailed report was prepared. Newer properties should be relatively maintenance free. Seems a lot of these condo HOA fees bend you over and give it to you right up the mangina!

Hi Miniman

Yep, the condos near Miami Beach that my realtor has wanted to show me have ridiculous HOA fees (ranging from $500 to $900 per month).  For this reason I haven't bothered to see any yet.

She says one reason the HOA fees are higher here is because the fee includes insurance, and these buildings are worth more so if they burn down it'll take more to refurbish them.

But honestly, if there are 300 hundred condos in a building and everyone's paying $500 a month, that $150,000 they're raking in per month.  There's sure to be a lot of wastage with that kind of cash flow.

But I reckon if you're buying cheaper condos with HOA's at $250, and property taxes at $200, and the condo only costs 50K, and then you rent it out for $1150 per month, then you're making $700 per month, which is a rental return of over 15%.  I've seen a number of condos like this for sale on Trulia and Zillow, in Miami's cheaper areas (eg. Allapattah, Flagami).  However, whether you can in fact buy them at 50K remains to be seen.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    JacM wrote:
    Has anyone out used a buyers agent (or whatever the U.S. equivalent is) to purchase U.S. property?  I suspect it would be more cost efficient for me to pay for such a service than to fork out for airfares, time hunting for property etc myself.  I'd love to hear if anyone has some feedback!

Hi JacM

I have found that Trulia really is an amazing website.  It is almost a mirror image of the MLS listings (that's the site that agents use to find properties for you), and in fact all the properties I have viewed so far I found myself on Trulia, and then e-mailed to my agent here in Miami, and she set up appointments for viewing.

What I'm trying to say is that you could conceivably  buy a property simply by checking out its listing on Trulia and then contacting an agent here and putting in an offer. 

Thus far, the only advantage that I've gained by spending so much time and money coming to Miami is just getting a feel of this city, and growing comfortable with the idea of investing lots of money here (ie. peace of mind).

So here's some advice: if you know a city you like (and preferably a suburb in that city) then just buy from a distance.  You can do all the closing just using FedEx (or so I've been told).  Of course, having a friend or relative here would make you feel much more comfortable, since they'd give you third-person advice on the area you've chosen.

But one good reason to come is to organize financing.  It's actually pretty easy for foreigners to get loans here.  Of course, you can't buy REO's with a loan (or it's hard to anyway) but there are lots of houses being sold by the owner, which can be bargained down a lot (about 15%), and they are easy to get loans on.

Hope that helps

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Awesome – thanks British Buyer.  Who is this agent you speak of?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jeff2tractjeff2tract
    @jeff2tract

Hi Kate

I am investing in upstate NY, good entry point re price, the people that I am dealing with only sell tenanted properties. ROI can be up to 25% nett.

I am also looking in to Denver as the capital gain prospect is better that upstate NY.

It depends on what your strategy is re capital gain hold for 4-7 years or positive cash flow.

I have set up a business that advises investors with info re were to invest.

My email is [email protected]

If you want to get more info

Jeff

Participant
    @british-buyer
    JacM wrote:
    Awesome – thanks British Buyer.  Who is this agent you speak of?

Hi JacM

send me a private message, and I'll send you the name.  I don't think it's appropriate to recommend someone on an open forum whom I haven't dealt with for very long.

Also, I'm happy to give some pointers in terms of suburbs if you're thinking of Miami, although remember I've only been here 5 days
    cheers
    Steve

Profile photo of jeff2tractjeff2tract
    @jeff2tract

Hi JacM

There are a number of companies that have set themselves up here in Australia to advise people were to purchase in the USA, some are buyers agents the others are not. I have read some of the blogs on these forums from what i have read they provide a service, it is a hit and miss result.

My brother in law purchased 4 properties from one of these business;s was promised quick rentals for all of the 4, months later 5 to be exact as far as I know he has only rented out 2 of the 4 and the other properties are vacant, his property taxes were double from what the brochure said.

I know that my brother in law should have been careful…still one needs to be dilligent in there research.
    I don’t know what property investment experience these business’s have or what financial expertise that have in advising someone to invest.

It is still cheaper than getting on a plane and traveling to Atlanta or some city in the USA and just looking around to se what is out there.

I have been researching the USA for a while and so have a background in real estate investing here in Sydney I have come to the belief that one can gan good capital gain here but forget positive cash flow.

The USA has many opportunities you need to know were they are looking.

Be very careful when talking to these companies as they offer very good ROI, but can they deliver????

I have set up a business that advises were to invest with a business partner who like me is an investor here, but also has a financial background and is a mortgage broker.

If you are interested in having a chat then you can email me

[email protected]

Jeff

Profile photo of ChuiChui
    Participant
    @chui

Awesome Steve, thanks for all your tips. I noticed too a lot of the low ball prices point to auction.com, and it is clear that the reserves have not been met.

Have you visited the offices of any rental agencies?

Profile photo of investininvestin
    Participant
    @investin

Hi Steve,

I have been keeping tabs on your posts for the past couple of weeks and am intrigued by your comments on obtaining finance in the U.S as a foreigner. I have made contact with countless people here in Australia and the U.S but can't seem to get any firm answers or direction. I had a response from the International Banking Centre division of HSBC Bank USA,  N.A this morning outlining:

'Please be advised, however, that HSBC USA is not currently offering
    financing to foreign nationals for the purchase of investment property;
    we are only offering financing on mortgages for a primary or secondary
    (vacation) residence.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may
    cause.'

I have also been advised by BOA that they will not offer any of their loan products to non-citizens.

I am unsure if I am speaking to the wrong people. I have a few mortagage broker leads which I am following up however it is taking some time. I would appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this subject?

Kind regards,

JD (Investin)
    Melbourne, Australia

Participant
    @british-buyer
    investin wrote:
    Hi Steve,

I have been keeping tabs on your posts for the past couple of weeks and am intrigued by your comments on obtaining finance in the U.S as a foreigner. I have made contact with countless people here in Australia and the U.S but can't seem to get any firm answers or direction. I had a response from the International Banking Centre division of HSBC Bank USA,  N.A this morning outlining:

'Please be advised, however, that HSBC USA is not currently offering
    financing to foreign nationals for the purchase of investment property;
    we are only offering financing on mortgages for a primary or secondary
    (vacation) residence.  We apologize for any inconvenience this may
    cause.'

I have also been advised by BOA that they will not offer any of their loan products to non-citizens.

I am unsure if I am speaking to the wrong people. I have a few mortagage broker leads which I am following up however it is taking some time. I would appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this subject?

Kind regards,

JD (Investin)
    Melbourne, Australia

Hi JD

HSBC definitely lends to foreigners, but only as part of their Premier account program.  So first open a Premier account (for which you are supposed to keep an average balance of $100K or above) and then they will give you a loan.  However, they prefer to loan on bigger purchases (perhaps $200K and above).

Here's an interesting event that took place yesterday when I visited HSBC here in Miami.

I have not yet made a Premier account.  I just took all my documents (letters of reference plus bank statements) to one of the loan officers dealing primarily with foreigners.

He let me know he'd be happy to give me a mortgage, and then ON THE SPOT, without me even having a single HSBC account anywhere in the world, he typed me a pre-approval letter, stating that HSBC will be happy to lend me up to $200K for a purchase of a Miami property that fits with their criteria.  This means I can purchase up to$300K.  I think he wrote that figure simply because I told him that was the range I was looking at.

Basically, here are their criteria:

1. Do not state it will be an investment home.  Just state that it will either be your residence if you move to the US, or that it will be your vacation home if you don't move to the US

2. After you find the home you want to buy, you pay HSBC a sum (I forgot to ask how much, but other banks are charging about $250) and they will have the property appraised (meaning they just get a realtor who works with them to go and estimate the price).  Whatever the appraised price, that is how much they will loan you.

Here's an example:  Say you like a house costing $320K.  You put in an offer of $300K, and it is accepted.  Then you go to HSBC, but their independent realtor only appraises it at $200K (at this point you should get a bit worried that you've overpaid, and you still have the chance to pull out of the deal).  But let's just imagine that you love this place, and the owner won't go lower.  So then HSBC will just give you a 70% loan of the $200K, in other words they will loan you $140K, so you'll have to come up with the rest in cash.

One more thing about HSBC.  Their interest rate is phenomenal compared to all the other banks here that have Foreign National Mortgage Programs.  HSBC yesterday was offering 4.623% on a 30-year fixed loan!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The rate changes every day, but only slightly.

So now I've got a pre-approval from HSBC, but in fact it's probably worthless to me, as is their great interest rate.  I'll make a subsequent post to explain why.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Yesterday I got a crash course in buying REO's.

And here is the best way, in my opinion, to make some serious money.

You need to have about $200K in cash (I'll explain why below).

When REO's come on the market, pounce on them.  Quickly check all the comparable SALES in the area (not LISTINGS).

If, for example, comparable sales for a particular area are $300K, then the listing agent representing the bank who owns the REO will list it at about $200K.  You then make an offer of around $200K.  Since you only offered in the range of the listing price, you probably won't win the bidding.  So that's why you should be making offers on lots of different REOs simultaneously.  Eventually you'll win a bid, and you'll have purchased an REO at a sizeable discount (about 33% lower, which in fact is the average discount price for REOs according to RealtyTrac).

The problem is, you need to pay cash.  , because it's an REO.  Having done so, go to a smaller bank (not HSBC, since they don't offer Cash-Out financing) which will give you a so-so interest rate (5.7% for 30-year fixed)) and a 70% loan.  So you can get 140K cash out of your property. 

Why did I say that you need to start with 200K?  Because the 140K loan I mentioned above is the minimum banks are willing to lend on with cash-out financing.

You now have 140K, so you beg from your brother-in-law, or you start doing cash-flow seminars in Sydney trying to con your fellow countrymen out of their hard-earned cash, whatever it takes to come up with another 60K so that you have $200K once again to repeat the process.

Profile photo of TassieJHTassieJH
    Participant
    @tassiejh

Hi Steve,

Great dialogue and insight from "the average punters perspective".  Most of us reading your travels are probably owners of a few properties in our home country but the hurdles and different practices we are all seeing / reading / experiencing with regard to the US as a country and the individual states is mind blowing.  In Australia we have fairly minor differences with the real estate laws, fees, taxes etc between the 6 states…. but in the US with 50 ….

Keep up the great diary.  I look forward to my updates on your adventure……with a great happy ending we all hope.

TassieJH

Profile photo of MgsendonMgsendon
    Participant
    @mgsendon

Hi Steve,

I’ve been following your posts and am curious if you had to get an ITIN to purchase property before you went over to the US and, if so, how long did it take to receive?

Good luck with your property hunting!

Mg

Participant
    @british-buyer
    TassieJH wrote:
    Hi Steve,

Great dialogue and insight from "the average punters perspective".  Most of us reading your travels are probably owners of a few properties in our home country but the hurdles and different practices we are all seeing / reading / experiencing with regard to the US as a country and the individual states is mind blowing.  In Australia we have fairly minor differences with the real estate laws, fees, taxes etc between the 6 states…. but in the US with 50 ….

Keep up the great diary.  I look forward to my updates on your adventure……with a great happy ending we all hope.

TassieJH

Hi Tassie

Thanks for the encouraging words.  Now that I'm here it doesn't seem so difficult as it did from afar.  Just last week I felt unsettled, but this week I already feel completely at home (except for the absence of family).  I've rented a great spot near the beach (for a month), I've got my own parking place for my rental car, I'm loving my morning and evening swims, plus all the amazing restaurants (not expensive ones, just the incredible variety of fast food like Taco Bell and Subways plus the little local South American restaurants).

I'm not finding the shops expensive (eg. Publix) and sometimes I cook up some great steaks at home, with a nice bottle of cheap Californian red wine.

I think it's important to first be comfortable and settled, so as to have the peace of mind to do some serious bidding.  Also, you need a realtor you trust and like.  I have such a person, and what she lacks in experience she makes up for with enthusiasm.  I have not used her at all to hunt for properties, but did it all myself on Trulia, or by sitting at her computer and going through MLS listings.  There's just no way she's going to understand "value" like I can.  Sounds arrogant, but when it's your own money, and you've being buying properties for yourself for years, you will develop your own instincts, which are bound to be sharper than someone who's just in the market to earn a salary.

Two days ago I found the property I want, and have been absolutely focused on it ever since.  I've posted on Trulia and Zillow to get ideas for what to offer, I've phoned up and bugged people knowledgeable in the Miami market (people I met on the internet) until I got their opinion, I've spoken to every agent, plus the senior partners, in the agency where my realtor works, and I've visited the house in question several times, and have even spied on other buyers who've come to view it (by pretending I'm a dumb tourist who happens to be passing by, and then engaging them in a conversation, and asking them how much they intend to bid).  I have built up in my mind the range that I believe others are going to bid within, and today I put in an offer that hopefully will be a touch higher than I feel the second highest offer will be.  Yet I'm absolutely convinced that if my offer is accepted, I'll have got it at about half of its real value.

Since it's an REO, I know have to wait a few days (6 at the most) to find out if the bank accepts or rejects my offer.  When I placed the offer (which you do via the MLS website) I saw that 5 offers had already been submitted in just the past 3 days. 

So now all there is to do is wait, and hold thumbs.

In the meantime, I'm gonna start looking at small investment properties.

I forgot to mention: the number of people going to view my "dream property" is quite astounding.  Every time I've visited it, I've bumped into at least one other buyer.  And I've visited it often, since it's near where I'm staying.  Today there was a company viewing it, doing all the measurements and checking out the walls and foundations.  I got talking to the manager, and he told me their business is buying up REO's, fixing them up for a month, and then putting them straight back on the market.

So, although prices have come down by at least half since 2006, don't think this isn't a competitive market.  If you want to buy something that has intrinsic value, there'll be plenty of other vultures circling.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    Mgsendon wrote:
    Hi Steve, I've been following your posts and am curious if you had to get an ITIN to purchase property before you went over to the US and, if so, how long did it take to receive? Good luck with your property hunting! Mg

You don't need an ITIN, but I guess you'll need one when you start renting it out, or if you make an LLC.

To purchase a property, you need nothing other than the cash and your passport.

cheers
    Steve

Profile photo of latormorlatormor
    @latormor

Hi Steve,

Have anyone recommended you the areas Kendall and/or Biscayne Park?

I'm just wondering whether those could be good areas for investment, I haven't read it anywhere but I have been there. Kendall seems to be very populated because is a bit far from the city so, some people who can't afford to live in the city lives there and it's lovely. Biscayne Park is more central, therefore more expensive, I'm not sure if there could be investment properties opportunities there. I found some in Trulia.

Cheers

Alex

Participant
    @british-buyer
    anelxander wrote:
    Hi Steve,

Have anyone recommended you the areas Kendall and/or Biscayne Park?

I'm just wondering whether those could be good areas for investment, I haven't read it anywhere but I have been there. Kendall seems to be very populated because is a bit far from the city so, some people who can't afford to live in the city lives there and it's lovely. Biscayne Park is more central, therefore more expensive, I'm not sure if there could be investment properties opportunities there. I found some in Trulia.

Cheers

Alex

Hi Alex

The first real estate agent I met (and originally was going to work with) deals primarily in Kendall, and was recommending it.  His offices are located in Coral Gables.

The reason I didn't work with him on my first purchase, and have not yet visited Kendall, is because of my current focus on buying a beach property for myself.

I put in an offer yesterday, so over the next few days while I'm waiting for the result, I shall be going around to areas that might be good for cash flow investments.

cheers
    Steve

Participant
    @british-buyer

Someone asked whether they should borrow in Aus $ or US$.

Assuming you were offered the same rates (eg. 30 year fixed at 6%) in both countries, then you should definitely borrow in Aus.

I say that because the current commodity cycle will end at some point (let's say 8 years from now), since:

1. China will slow down it's infrastructure investment and residential property development

2. African and South American countries will get their acts together and bring on line more and more mines and farms, resulting in a glut.

When commodity prices crash, the US $ will go down to 0.65.  That's when you get a cash-out refininance on your US property, and use the cash to pay off your Aus loan.

But if you are offered an Aus loan at 9% but a US loan at 5.5 for 30 year fixed, perhaps go for the US loan.  At least you're dealing with certainty, and a 5.5 fixed is going to look very cheap one day when the US economy is humming and everyone else who didn't lock in their rates now are all paying 10%.

Participant
    @british-buyer

My agent just called to say that the bank selling the REO that I really want (and put in an offer on last night) is closing the bidding at the end of today, so I should know by tomorrow if I got it or not.

I'm quite surprised at the speed.  The property only came on the market 5 days ago, so they only need 6 days to decide.  My agent tells me this is normal (here in Miami).

Whether I'm the highest bidder or not, the good news is that by tomorrow I know whether to keep looking or not.

Lesson: if you're coming to Miami to buy, and you're in a rush, just try to put in offers on just-released REO's, assuming you can find any decent ones. 

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.