All Topics / Overseas Deals / MIAMI (ad)VICE

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 395 total)
  • Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer

REGARDING LLC'S

I went to see a CPA last Friday.  He often helps foreigners create LLC's to put their properties in.  He said the ONLY reason foreigners use LLCs is so that 15% of the total selling price of your property isn't withheld when you sell.

He offers the following service:
    Creates LLC for $650
    He says every year the LLC needs an "annual renewal" that is less than $150 (but who knows if that's true).
    For $400 each year he'll help you do your annual tax return, and he'll provide you with an address and deal with whatever paperwork is mailed to you each quarter.

I asked him "If I don't make an LLC, will 30% of my rent be withheld by the tenant?"

He said he'd never heard of any such law.  My realtor, who was with me at the time, also hadn't heard of this obscure IRS law.  She helps her foreign clients rent out their properties (I hear her doing this all day long on the phone when I'm driving her around to see houses) and none of them have 30% withheld by the tenant.  The money is just deposited straight into their bank accounts.  Also, most of them don't have LLC's.  One assumes that they aren't declaring this rental income, but who knows.

The accountant said, "Just let them wire the rent money to you overseas". He thought paying any tax on your rental income was a stupid idea, but did concede that it wouldn't be good if you were caught.  I should add that this CPA was Brazilian, so has a more fuzzy view of the law than your typical Yank CPA.

As to the fear of being sued for your property if it's not in an LLC, he didn't see much danger in that.  I've been advised from another US investor that you can just buy insurance to cover you against this danger.

I've also been advised, by other overseas investors, not to bother paying lawyers to open your LLC or to do your tax returns.  Apparently you can open your own LLC for only $150 using incorp.com and you can do your tax returns for free using Turbo Tax, an easy-to-use and free online tax program.

I think the reason people wanting to invest in the US hear so much about LLCs before they get anywhere near the US, is because that is the easiest way for Cash Flow Companies to sell the property to you.

A Cash Flow CO. will buy an REO, put it in an LLC, then simply "sell" the LLC to you (which just means putting your name as the sole owner of the LLC, and cancelling the original buyer's name from the LLC).  To do this, the new buyer does not even need to come to the US.

This benefits the Cash Flow Co. since they do not need to have 15% withheld, and also because there are no closing costs (like when a private owner sells to a private buyer).  Closing costs are usually 1.5%  The accountant I spoke to says he can change the ownership of the LLC for roughly the same amount as the closing costs.

The benefit to you, the new buyer, is you have an LLC already set up, so it's easier for you to sell it (ie. you won't have 15% withheld)

Profile photo of British BuyerBritish Buyer
    Participant
    @british-buyer

A reader e-mailed me this great question:

> Hey BB,
    >
    > I'm very intrigued by your posts, researches and efforts and I'm very curious as to how one becomes as successful as yourself. I've just turned 20 but have no deposit (just started saving) nor does my mother have a property of her own. I'm working full time for under 30k a year, if you were in my shoes how would you go on about investing? Or how would you go on about it in general. Sorry for this PM it sounds almost like a personal assault but I was also looking to start investing in the US (in particular, Miami) since my income does not cover for the overpriced costs of properties in Australia. Just looking for tips on how I can build up my wealth.  Thanks :)

Here's the answer I e-mailed to him

Hi

The way to get rich is to be frugal at first.  You have to get a steady income, and then save more than 50% of it each month.  If you can't, you must work two jobs.  Other than borrowing money, this is the only way to build up some capital to invest.  You have to be willing to sacrifice for a period of time.  You have to be willing to stay at home when you know your mates are going out on a bender that'll leave them all a few hundred dollars shorter.  You have to learn to take the bus, ride a bike, or walk, instead of buying a car before you can afford it.  You have to eat cheap (no expensive restaurants) and drink less in bars (during my 20s I always took a hip flask of whisky with me when I went to bars, and while my mates drank 10 expensive beers I just ordered one and happily sipped from my flask to make the beer last the entire night).

Under the right circumstances, these are things you just need to do for a few months up to a year, until you've saved enough.  And then you take the plunge.

If you're young and fearless and have lots of time left to get back the money you may lose, you throw everything you've saved into one venture.  It could be a small business (I've done that twice in my life, and while these small businesses didn't become big businesses, they did turn small capital into big capital within a year due to hard work and commitment). 

But I must add that the only way to run a small business is by using the same methods you used to get your initial capital: be ultra frugal.  Don't go around pretending your business is bigger than it is.  Don't borrow for the business unless it's got 100% certainty of success (which is almost unheard of).  In these kinds of small businesses, try to structure it so you can do everything yourself, or with very few other workers.  When it's your success on the line, you'll work much harder, longer and cheaper than anyone you could hire.

Once your capital has grown ten-fold, decide whether the business is worth continuing.  In other words, if you stop doing all the work, will it still make profit. 

If it will, expand it.  

If it won't, ask yourself whether you're happy working in this business.  If you are, and if the income is satisfactory, continue.  If the work doesn't make you happy, quit.  Close it down (or sell it if you can) and take a holiday to a cheap place and reassess your life.

Live cheap (or get a steady job) for the next stage,  Make sure your money is well-invested at this point (not too risky, yet not too conservative).  You'll be a bit older now, and a bit wiser, and you'll have more money.  Sooner or later you'll see the next opportunity.  Repeat above steps.

I've had many businesses along the way, all of which I've sold or closed down, except for the most successful one  (a franchise company teaching Chinese entrepeneurs how to open and run English schools in China).  This company grew much too big for me to simply close down, although that didn't stop me from walking away (I just employ good managers, whom I pay well, and to my surprise the business continues to grow despite my absence).

Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to copy both your question and my answer onto the forum (I won't post your identity though).

Good luck!
    Steve

Participant
    @british-buyer

Hi Gary

Melbourne Beach sounds amazing.  But since I'm not planning to immigrate, it's probably better I invest in a large city with a good rental market and an international airport.

BTW, what's the nearest airport to MB?

And one more question, have you ever heard of someone getting an EB-5 visa by investing 500K in property?  I'm guessing not, since by doing so you won't have created any jobs for anyone.

cheers

Steve

Profile photo of gmpropertygmproperty
    Participant
    @gmproperty

Hi Steve,

There is an international airport 15 mins drive in Melbourne, however the "international" flights are limited, however Orlando Airport is just 45 mins drive from my house.

My EB5 was  as a partner with american life in seattle, who invest in commercial property in areas which have beeny ring fenced for investment, unfortunately you cant do this yourself, you have to join the scheme as a limited partner. I believe there are ways to get an EB5 as an individual but instead of $500k you would have to prove an investment of 1 million. I think the schemes are great for individuals who have income elsewhere and just want there green card without having to buy a Business etc… the investments themselves are poor with very little cash flow. In a way you are paying a premium for property to get your green card.

Gary

Profile photo of TassieJHTassieJH
    Participant
    @tassiejh
    Zita wrote:
    Thank you to Steve & Pat for your prompt responses!

Re: HSBC Bank types. After speaking in person to a Bank representative, he stated that The Premier Account does require $200,000 deposit, however I will follow this up. If perhaps it was required as an inital deposit and then later withdrawled, then your advice to then downgrade the Bank Account would work, but if my memory serves me well, not only did they require the $200K deposit, they also require the it to remain in the account. Again, I will indeed follow this up!

The set back with wiring money from Australia to Miami is supose I'm wiring $50,000. With the 'Standard' Bank Account, the max you can withdrawal from an ATM is $400 daily (and the standard bank accounrt does not recognise you in Miamia). We are planning to travel for 15 days… It is not enough time to withdrawl the required cash and it  could potentially cost us missing out on a place if we don't have the funds available immediatly. I think you are right Steve, I will now investigate the idea of opening an account when we get there, so long as you arent required to do this in your home country first…

Pat, this sounds like the way to go, i'll be visiting the closest ANZ tomorrow to follow up. I suppose again, not having the cash at hand for example at an auction, could cause us to miss out, but with 8-10 days to withdrawl it may just work. Thank you for that, I will keep you posted.

Miami has been on my brain for weeks and months now and this forum has been such a fantastic way of staying on the game, with everyone contributing advice, support and feedback. Its funny when you discuss the idea of investing in Miami 'socially', the sceptisicm, the negativity and the naivity that so many people have towards the topic is amazing (despite thier lack of knowledge or research they all seem to have a preset mindset). I've had a variety of reponses when I raise the topic, most to which have been negative. Still, thats why the minority of people are fulfilling thier life's potential while the majority continue on with thier 'playing it safe' 9-5 jobs. No thanks!

All the best to everyone and thanking you all for your great blogs!

Zita,

after many weeks I have finally been granted access to my online Wells Fargo account that was opened from Australia BUT via the creation of a new US entity – an LLC.   The formation by a US firm included the introduction to the bank for a US$200 fee and they facilitated the IRS papers to receive the EIN.  (equivalent of our Aus tax File Number for use by the entity when you do not have a Social Security Number)

All up the creation of the LLC and associated paper trail was invoiced at around $700US.  I will be using this facility to be my holding entity for any rentals. 

TassieJH

Profile photo of jasperjonssonjasperjonsson
    @jasperjonsson

Hi BB, really great reading all your posts! Thank you so much for these, I have this forum as the number 1 favourite and I read the updates everyday!

I am Australian, have been researching for about 2 months now, I have narrowed my areas down to: Naples or Cape Coral/FL, and Atlanta, GA. My reasons why these locations: an average mixture of undervalued properties and good rental returns. I am looking to buy in cash only (at this stage, can’t be bothered to go through all the complexities for the lenders, may refinance in a year or 2), my budget for 2 houses is around $200k.

The one thing I wanted to ask you – what is your opinion on auctions? For eg. Auctions.com – it feels to me like a kid in a candy store – there are so many great properties with such low reserve auction prices.

Has anyone had experience with auctions in the US? What is generally the rules of thumb for bidding eg. do you just bid the reserve price that is stated on the property, or should you bid more, or start less??

Secondly, what are the liabilities that are purchased? I really don’t have a clue when reading the titles, it is such legal speak and really hard to understand.
    Can I give you an example, can you tell me – do we also have to pay out the mortgages on these properties??

For example: taking a very random property: http://www.auction.com/property.php?page=1&venueId=1663&auctionID=H-213&itemID=243713&listPaging=25&start=0

It states in the “Chain of Title”:

Warranty Deed from John Wieland Homes, Inc. to Charles E. Wells, Sr., dated 1/26/96, recorded 2/20/96 in Deed
    Book 20653, Page 336, Fulton County, Georgia Records.
    Deed of Heirs between Barbara Hambry Wells and Charles Edward Wells, Jr. as legal heirs of Charles Edward
    Wells, Sr. and Barbara Hambry Wells and Charles Edward Wells, Jr., dated 3/81/04, recorded 3/26/04 in Deed
    Book 37294, Page 513, Fulton County, Georgia Records.
    Quit Claim Deed between Charles Edward Wells, Jr. and Barbara Hambry Wells, dated 3/18/04, recorded 3/26/04
    in Deed Book 37294, Page 516, Fulton County, Georgia Records.
    Security Deed between Barbara Hambry Wells and MERS, dated 12/21/05, recorded 1/9/06 in Deed Book 41736,
    Page 225, Fulton County, Georgia Records, conveying subject property to secure a note in the amount of
    $380,000.00.
    Security Deed between Barbara Hambry Wells and MERS, dated 12/21/05, recorded 1/9/06 in Deed Book 41736,
    Page 248, Fulton County, Georgia Records, conveying subject property to secure a note in the amount of
    $95,000.00.
    Foreclosure Deed between Barbara Hambry Wells and Aurora Loan Services, LLC dated 11/3/09, recorded
    11/30/09 in Deed Book 48571, Page 544, Fulton County, Georgia Records.

So – can anyone tell me – what is the total mortgage liability to take over on this property? Who is responsible for this, the new owner? So is it right that this is added to the purchase price?

Many thanks for your help

Louise

Profile photo of dhillon2dhillon2
    Participant
    @dhillon2

Hey British Buyer,

Sorry about missing the REO deal. But I believe with your passion and determination, they’ll be another dream house around the corner!

Although things may not be going your way, I’m so inspired by how much you’ve learnt in just a few weeks! Why go to college when you learn so much more in real life, in real time! Fortune favours the brave – so good on you for having the guts to get out there and give it a go!

About immigration, I’ve been told by our relatives residing in the US, that since 9/11, its extremely difficult to get the Green Card. Understandably. We’ve actually successfully applied and received a B1-Business Visa. This is a non-immigrant visa, meaning that you need to prove that your base is still abroad. However, the upside is that the visa is for 5 years. You will still need to explain why you want to do business in the US and Homeland Security reserves the right to ask you to leave the US and re-enter within the 5 years, at anytime. I’ve been told that like a Chinese Business Visa, even if they ask you to leave after 6 months, you wouldn’t need to go back to your home country – you could say make a weekend trip to the Bahamas instead, then re-enter the US :)

Check out ==> https://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/b1-business-visa.html

Also in response to tips on building up wealth – I totally agree. The hard road will lead to the easy road; just as the easy road leads to the hard road. Just learnt something quite simple, but profound, over the weekend: “Economics is the study of choices”.

As for HSBC, the criteria for opening a Premier Account varies from country to country. Opening this account in Australia enables you to automatically qualify to open a Premier Account in the US. Also, good to note that $200k doesn’t have to be in cash only – can be in equity too. Just another option to perhaps re-finance some of your investment loans to HSBC, so you don’t have to leave as much of your cash in the account.

Buying under an LLC is like taking out private health insurance in the US. It may cost you abit, and you may never use it. Fine not to have it if nothing happens to you. But if you plan on having an extensive property portfolio – then the exposure may become too great.

e.g If ‘Tenant A’ in ‘Investment Property A’ decides to throw a pool party, the tiles get slippery near the pool and 3 people trip and hurt themselves; technically the Landlords insurance will cover it – under your Public Liability. But what if the injury is more severe and the Public Liability does not cover ALL the expenses? Then these 3 people can sue you PERSONALLY, and when the court finds out you have ‘Investment Property B and C and D’, then those assets will also be affected in the lawsuit. No Landlords insurance is going to exempt your property from being involved in an unrelated incident in one of your other investment properties!
    *Technically you’d need to have a different LLC for each property to protect them fully – so I guess it really depends on how much each is worth and your risk tolerance.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Once again, I have to say "WHAT A DAY!"

But first let me say thanks to GARY, DHILLON and TASSIE for once again sharing valuable information in their posts above. To JASPERJONSSON, the only thing I can tell you about auctions is that I'm not going to go near them.  I haven't even figured out how to buy REOs from a bank yet!

Before I tell you what a learnt today, let me tell you what happened.

Last week, while waiting to hear back about my "Dream Waterfront SFH", I went to see many other REOs for sale.  Of the 2 dozen I saw, I finally found one that stood out.  It was a cute little house (traditional Spanish style with gables and high ceilings) on a large property (12,000 square feet, or about 1,100 square metres) with amazing palm trees (the highest I've ever seen) and plenty of space to make an enormous swimming pool and still have plenty of lawn left over.  It's in Miami Shores, which is a good area.  The asking price was only 120K.  This house in Sydney would probably be $1 million.

My agent tried to contact the bank's listing agent, but since they hadn't given a phone number on the MLS, all she could do was e-mail them.  They didn't reply. 

On Friday afternoon I learnt that I hadn't got my Dream Home, so I told my realtor to try harder to contact the agent for Dream Home No.2

By the time we tracked down the office of the listing agent, it was the weekend, and no one answered the phone.

This morning (Monday) I drove to the listing agent's office.  To my surprise they are a small unknown start-up company with only 5 staff, yet they have over 60 REOs on their books.  I explained to one of the agents that I wanted to put in an offer on Dream Home No.2, and he was super motivated.  He told me the exact history of the sale so far (he put in a 114K offer last week Wednesday for one of his clients, but the bank rejected it, and then another realtor came to his office on Friday and put in a 120K offer, which was still awaiting the bank's response).

Alas, as I was filling out my offer form, the listing agent received an e-mail from the bank accepting the 120K offer.  I was understandably pissed off, since I was offering 130K so would definitely have got it.

Now here's what I think I've figured out:

The listing agents for the REOs only get a small commission (about 1%, paid by the bank), yet the buyer's agent will get 3% (also paid by the bank).  Therefore, the listing agent would ideally also like to be the buyer's agent (and get a total commission of 4%, instead of just 1%).  This explains why, in the above story, the listing agent:

1. did not bother to give any phone number in the MLS listing to be contacted at (the MLS listing is the one used by all the estate agents)

2. only gave an e-mail to send offers to (this allows the listing agent to screen the offers, which they don't necessarily have to send to the bank if they don't want to)

3. does not reply to phone calls or e-mails made by buyer's agents (but I have a feeling they'd be happy to talk to a buyer directly, since they could then become the agent for that buyer).

What I think is happening is this:

The listing agent gets the REO from the bank.  They put the listing on the MLS (I'm sure they have no choice in the matter, since it's probably stipulated in their contract with the bank) yet they do whatever they can to hinder the number of offers made by other buyer's agents (by not assisting people to view the house, and by not being cooperative in answering the phone or e-mails).  During this stalling period, they are hoping to find a buyer whom they can represent themselves.  Once they've found their own buyer, they submit this offer, and hope nobody bids higher.  If somebody does, they have the option of just ignoring the bid (by not sending it to the bank) or of telling their own buyer to increase his bid so it becomes the highest.

This is what I saw today in the case of Dream House No.2.  The listing agent found his own buyer willing to offer 114K.  Unfortunately, the bank rejected it.  While the agent was hoping that his buyer would increase a bit (maybe to asking price of 120K), unfortunately for him a buyer's agent came to the listing agent's office and submitted a 120K offer on the spot from the listing agent's computer direct to the bank. 

Why did he actually come to the office?  Because he knows how the system works (ie. that the listing agents are going to be uncooperative, and probably won't even send in your offer to the bank).  How do I know all this took place on Friday?  Because the listing agent told me with glee this morning, while filling out my new offer of 130K "Wow, that aggressive agent who came in here on Friday and forced us to submit a 120K offer is going to be REALLY pissed off when he finds out someone has outbid him, ha ha ha". 

But unfortunately for both me and the listing agent, the 120K offer was accepted first thing Monday morning, before mine even went in.

What's the lesson though?

If you want to buy an REO, and you think you're going to do so by recruiting a buyer's agent to help you, it's like running a race with lead in your shoes.

The only way to go forward, as far as I can see, is to figure out how to track down every large REO listing agent in Miami.   Since they're going to be your buyer's agent, they'll illegally yet happily share inside info with you, and the only reason you'll be outbid is if you're not willing to better the offer made by some outside bidder.

Profile photo of weathjessweathjess
    Participant
    @weathjess

Hi All,
    I literally spent all of yesterday reading this topic from start to finish – FASCINATING!!!

I am planning a trip to the US in April with the hope of buying a couple of properties myself and a couple through a SMSF.

What are people's thoughts on Atlantic City……….prices seem really good, but looking at the future – I see that they are a tourist spot with casinos etc, on the water – but as the crow flies only about a 100kms to Philadelphia and 300kms to New York.

Looking at Trulia there are a number of bottom of the market houses that have been listed for 180 days or more (in all parts of the US) – what are people's thoughts on why this is? Is it potentially falling down or in a really bad area?

Also – there has been some discussion on here regarding the taxes that are needed to be paid in the US – however, when you then transfer that money into an Aussie bank account does anyone know whether that money then gets taxed again?? Conscious of the trouble that Paul Hogan had recently with disputes over where the taxes needed to be paid. Or are people keeping the money in the US and not bringing it home?

cheers,
    Jessie

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Jessie – earnings will have to be declared in Australia regardless of whether you've transferred earnings to Australia or not.  Foreign income has to be declared, and you indicate whether you've paid any taxes (ie in the U.S.) already and that is taken into account.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of jasperjonssonjasperjonsson
    @jasperjonsson

BB – So the question is: how can we identify a REO listing agent (from a buying agent)?

Participant
    @british-buyer
    weathjess wrote:
    Hi All,
    I literally spent all of yesterday reading this topic from start to finish – FASCINATING!!!

I am planning a trip to the US in April with the hope of buying a couple of properties myself and a couple through a SMSF.

What are people's thoughts on Atlantic City……….prices seem really good, but looking at the future – I see that they are a tourist spot with casinos etc, on the water – but as the crow flies only about a 100kms to Philadelphia and 300kms to New York.

Looking at Trulia there are a number of bottom of the market houses that have been listed for 180 days or more (in all parts of the US) – what are people's thoughts on why this is? Is it potentially falling down or in a really bad area?

Also – there has been some discussion on here regarding the taxes that are needed to be paid in the US – however, when you then transfer that money into an Aussie bank account does anyone know whether that money then gets taxed again?? Conscious of the trouble that Paul Hogan had recently with disputes over where the taxes needed to be paid. Or are people keeping the money in the US and not bringing it home?

cheers,
    Jessie

Hi Jessie

I don't know anything about Atlantic City.  Perhaps someone else can answer that one.

As to some of the crazy prices you see listed on Trulia, there are a number of reason:

1. The very low ones are often placed by RealtyTrac.  This company has teamed up with Trulia, and I suspect they are able to place free ads on Trulia.  By placing ads for foreclosed homes at $1000, they probably attract a lot of interest, which leads to people signing up for their service (which comes at a high monthly fee, and is useless unless you're mad enough to think of buying homes at an auction, because RealtyTrac's only benefit is it's attempt to inform you of how many liens there are on a property)

2. Sometimes they are bogus posts, by agents wanting to get people to phone them, and then they'll say "Oh, that just sold, but I've got something a bit more expensive but soooo much better…"

3. Sometimes they are real ads, but the property is in an awful area

One good thing I've noticed about Trulia: it has every good listing that's out there.  IE. every decent property I've gone to see was listed on Trulia.

One bad thing I've noticed: it has dozens of expired listings which the agents haven't bothered to take off, plus it has those bogus RealtyTrac ones.

Sometimes, when you've located a property you're interested in, and you're investigating the sales price history, you will see recent sales of anywhere from $100 up to about half of the current listing price.  Upon further inspection (which you do through the local gov. tax websites) you will discover that these were random figures that were chosen to be put on the deed as it changed hands from the bankrupt owner to the bank during the foreclosure process.  The figure has nothing to do with the actual price or value of the property.

Participant
    @british-buyer
    jasperjonsson wrote:
    BB – So the question is: how can we identify a REO listing agent (from a buying agent)?

Firstly, I should point out that I'm a perfectionist.  I'm not someone who just does things on the spur of the moment (although that's exactly how I was in my 20s).  I calculate risks, and (except when a market is rising rapidly) I get an idea of exactly what I want, and then can be very patient while waiting to get it (I learnt this through property investing, since it requires you to be patient enough to wait at least several years until you can cash out).

Why am I telling you this?  Because I want to point out that my buying experience will probably be different from that of most other foreigners who come here on a quick purchasing trip.  Since I arrived in Miami I've been on the hunt for "treasure" properties.  I'm not after run-of-the-mill houses.  I want ones that stand out, that have something that sets them apart from the others, and that's why I chose Dream Home 1 (waterfrontage to moor a yacht) and Dream Home 2 (good location with large plot yet very cheap).  Because I'm looking for treasure, my competition will be tough.  The listing agents will know that they're holding on to something special, and they have a good chance of being able to sell them themselves, instead of waiting for clients with their own buyer's agents in tow.  Hence my current need and desire to team up with listing agents.

For most foreigners who come to the US to buy property, they won't be as picky as me, nor as patient.  You must remember that I'm planning to live here for the first half of next year, so if I don't find my dream REOs now, I can always wait.  If any readers of this blog decide to come to Miami to buy property, they will probably just look around for a week, and snap up something cheap and ordinary before their time runs out.

OK, now to answer your question.  I've already found one listing agent (the guys with the 60 REOs on their books), and I found them by keeping my eyes open, and doing some private investigative work (using Google and then personally visiting their offices without any buyer's agent accompanying me).  I intend to keep going on this track in the coming days.

Participant
    @british-buyer

Today I met with 3 different "teams" of REO listing agents.  The biggest realty companies will all have their own teams dealing with the REO's given to them by the bank. 

Each team I spoke to repeated the exact same information:

Right now, in Miami, there is only a fraction of the number of REOs that there were before the Foreclosure Moratorium hit the market (about 2 months ago). 

In the past 3 weeks I've asked many realtors whether the Foreclosure Moratorium had affected the number of REO's coming out, and they all said no.  I now believe that these people were either uninformed (since none of them were REO listing agents, just regular agents) or they were purposefully lying (so as not to scare away investors like myself, who prefer to buy only when there's an excess of REOs on the market).

The REO listing teams I spoke to today didn't lie, and nor could they, since they don't have any REOs to show my right now (at least no SFH's in the range I'm looking for).

They also all told me that they have been informed by the banks that REOs will hit the market in much greater numbers next year, perhaps around March.  I shall be back here in January though, just to make sure I'm set up and ready, because I fully intend to buy at least 10 SFH's next year (in the 120-200K range).  I have already told my wife to sell one of our prime Shanghai apartments to raise extra cash.

Here's some more very good advice: just figure out which areas you want to buy in, and then drive around and jot down the address of each place you see for sale (and believe me, there are many on every street).   Nearly all will have a realtor's phone number on a sign stuck in the lawn outside.  You can either call this number, of just do a google search later.  Either way, you will be able to pinpoint which property is an REO, and then since you didn't see the property with a realtor you can get direct access to the listing agent (who'll then also be your buyer's agent).  For example, if you google search an address, and it turns out to be an REO, the person who placed the ad you've found (eg. on Trulia, Zillow or Movoto) will be the REO listing agent.

I should also explain why there are always "teams" doing the REO listings.  The head of the team deals with the bank, but the other 1,2 or 3 members of the team are buyer's agents, who run around trying to find  buyers for a particular REO.  Once the sale is completed, the bank won't realise that the buyer's agent was actually working together with the listing agent (the head of the team), so they won't figure out there was insider trading.  I suspect that the entire team then splits the profits they made from the bank (ie. about 1% for being the listing agent, and 3% for being the buyer's agent).

Participant
    @british-buyer

I just received an e-mail of someone asking my advice on whether he should invest in Las Vegas.  Here's what I told him:

Hi

I think you can't go wrong so long as you invest in a city with high numbers of foreclosure (ie. LV, Phoenix, or anywhere in Florida).  Foreclosures = forced sales.  Those people didn't want to sell, but the bank has taken their property and is now selling it.  This means that there are more sellers than buyers (because you have banks selling, as well as regular sellers), so the price is very low (much lower than it'd cost to build the house ). 

So I repeat, you just can't go wrong.

cheers
    Steve

In Miami I keep hearing the figure $200 per square foot to build a house.  This means that if a house is 2,000 square feet it would cost $400,000 to build it (let alone the cost of buying the land, which in a decent area would be at least $100K).  So to build such a house would need more than 500K, yet REOs of that size are going for less than 200K.  Also, you can't just go and buy a piece of land in a decent area.  There aren't any (which is why I'm not sure what the land value is). 

Participant
    @british-buyer

Below you will find a link to watch a short video clip on Bank of America's outlook on home prices (November 13, 2010)

I'll summarize: they think prices will still fall further, namely 5% nationwide.  Considering that California, New York, etc. are rising, places like Las Vegas and Florida will have to fall much more than 5% to create that average figure for the whole US.

Now don't forget: Bank of America has an enormous number of REOs on their books, so they're more aware than anybody just how large the so-called "hidden inventory" is.

See for yourselves:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/video/64482410/

Participant
    @british-buyer

IN TODAY'S NEWS

(Reuters) – Consumer inflation was subdued in October and new home building slumped to its lowest level in 1-1/2 years

In a separate report, the Commerce Department said housing starts plummeted 11.7 percent to a 519,000 annual rate from a downwardly revised 588,000 in September.

It was the weakest starts rate since 477,000 in April 2009 when the economy was still struggling with the impact of the 2007-2008 financial crisis.

Economists surveyed by Reuters had anticipated a starts rate in October of 600,000 — far higher than the actual outcome.

Homebuilders have to do serious market analysis and forecasting so as to know how many houses to start building now.  This news indicates that they are very negative on the 2011 property market, which I suppose is good news for the likes of us, hoping to get good deals next year.

Here is another very interesting article (also pretty negative on the future of the US economy) on Reuter's today:

CHANGING WORLD ORDER

Soros also spoke on the changing geopolitical order, outlining his expectations for a rapid decline of the United States, equaled in speed only by the ascent of China's economy since the global economic crisis erupted.

China, he told his audience — which included Bank of Canada governors past and present and CEOs from banks and corporate giants like Research In Motion (RIM.TO) — has been unscathed by the crisis and now has a better working economy and a better working government than the United States.

The present world order is on the brink of breaking down, he said.

"There is now a rapid decline of the United States and a rapid rise of China," he said. "It is happening very quickly."

He said that China got to where it is today by looking out for its own interests, but he warned that the Asian powerhouse would have to start considering the needs of others if the new world order is to emerge intact.

"If they persist in their present course, it will lead to conflict," he said, adding that China's neighbors are already getting nervous about its rising global influence.

Participant
    @british-buyer

And since I'm in the mood for sharing Reuter's articles today, read the one below.  It appears China is quite willing and able to use hacking to obtain sensitive political and corporate secrets from the US.  The article points out that for 18 minutes last year the Chinese government had full access to sensitive US web traffic. 

More alarming is that in a separate incident they hacked into Google's source code, probably for the purposes of copying it and giving it to China's version of Google (called Baidu).  If Baidu can copy Google's source code, it's searching abilities will be equal to Google's.  The Chinese gov. will then happily bankroll Baidu's global expansion (as they are currently doing with their top car, banking, computer, aircraft, and pharmaceutical companies). 

20 years from now China will be a giant compared even to the US.  It's influence and greed will spread to every corner of the globe.  That's fine for greedy little countries with lots of resources and no morals (Aus, all of Africa and South America, and even part of Europe) but it's a real bummer for idealistic countries, or wannabe number ones.  

Anyway, here's the article:

(Reuters) – China Telecom sent incorrect routing information last April that resulted in Internet traffic to major corporate websites and U.S. military and government sites being sent through China for 18 minutes, according to a report by a congressional advisory group.

The incident was one of several discussed by the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission. Reuters obtained a copy of the draft report, which will formally be released on Wednesday.

In the hijacking incident, the Web traffic, much of which originated in the United States and was directed toward U.S. corporate and government websites, should have gone the shortest available route and not through China.

Some of the traffic was headed to sites owned by the U.S. Senate, the office of the secretary of defense, NASA and the Commerce Department, the draft said.

In all, the report said that 28 percent of all targeted phishing emails, a type of scam, originate in China. "Anecdotal reports about the success of these activities continue to surface, some with compelling links to the Chinese government," the report said.

The report also discussed the battle between Google and China, which began with Google announcing that it had been hacked and that it would no longer censor searches for Beijing. Eventually, Beijing took over the job of censorship and renewed Google's license to work in China.

The hackers reportedly got Google's source code, perhaps the most valuable computer code in the world. Cyber experts are watching Baidu, Google's competition in China, to see if it improves suddenly. Sudden improvement would indicate that Baidu was using Google code.

Google was unusual in that it announced that it had been hacked. Failure to report attacks has been a source of frustration for the FBI.

The U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission, which wrote the report, was set up in 2000 to advise the U.S. Congress on the economic and national security implications of the U.S.-China relationship.

Profile photo of white_goodmanwhite_goodman
    Participant
    @white_goodman
    British Buyer wrote:
    CHANGING WORLD ORDER

Soros also spoke on the changing geopolitical order, outlining his expectations for a rapid decline of the United States, equaled in speed only by the ascent of China's economy since the global economic crisis erupted.

China, he told his audience — which included Bank of Canada governors past and present and CEOs from banks and corporate giants like Research In Motion (RIM.TO) — has been unscathed by the crisis and now has a better working economy and a better working government than the United States.

The present world order is on the brink of breaking down, he said.

"There is now a rapid decline of the United States and a rapid rise of China," he said. "It is happening very quickly."

He said that China got to where it is today by looking out for its own interests, but he warned that the Asian powerhouse would have to start considering the needs of others if the new world order is to emerge intact.

"If they persist in their present course, it will lead to conflict," he said, adding that China's neighbors are already getting nervous about its rising global influence.

Id be wary of old Georgey boy, he certainly has his own socilaist agenda that he's driving and its certainly in his interests to talk down the US. Also the sheer fact he will change his opinion/bias on a whim… his whole investment/trading thesis in discussed in his book "Alchemy of Finance", its not uncommon for him to cut and reverse positions as he constantly runs 2 possible scenarios in his head for whatever he's looking at, just gives different weighting for each one.

Personally i think George is speaking more from a socialist rather than investment standpoint in recent times, and some circles ie Glenn Beck think he's the Antichrist lol

Profile photo of ChuiChui
    Participant
    @chui

BritishBuyer, what are your opinions on Chanos’s doom and gloom over the Chinese property market? http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/17/chanos-vs-china

Quote:
    “He said they were building 5 billion square meters of new residential and office space — 2.6 billion square meters in new office space alone. I said to him, ‘You must have the decimal point in the wrong place.’ He said no, the numbers are right. So do the math: That’s almost 30 billion square feet of new construction. There are 1.3 billion people in China. [In terms of new office space alone] that amounts to about a five-by-five-foot cubicle for every man, woman, and child in the country.
Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 395 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.