All Topics / Help Needed! / bad investment – is it time to run?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of karma.lenakarma.lena
    @karma.lena

hi everyone,

i know the first rule of property investing is "do not sell" but i'm wondering if it's time to break that rule.

i own a property in beenleigh, a lower socio economic area in brisbane. i bought it in 2004 for $225k & saw slow & steady growth in the first 3 years. in 2007 the market seemed to grind to a hault. now, 3 years later, it seems to be taking a slow & steady dive. the suburb has become less desirable over the past few years & i'm afraid it's also going down hill.

now, it's not costing me much to keep as it's neutrally geared & rented, but i wonder if it's time to let it go & invest in something else? or should i wait it out while the economy stabilises? any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm really confused right now.

thanks for your help guys,

lena

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Personally I think Beenleigh (and the rest of Logan) will do pretty well over the coming years. Prices have seemed to stagnate over the last 12 months and it hasn't experienced the same massive growth increases down south in Syd, Melb and Canberra. Maybe it's only a matter of time before it takes off again.

If it was me –  I'd keep it.

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

I'd probably ask what your strategy is. If you are looking for long term then holding is probably ok. If you can do something better with the money then selling is not so bad. Think about your strategy and if this property fits with where you want to be in the future.

Good Luck

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Positive ResultsPositive Results
    Participant
    @positive-results

Hi Lena,

What type of property is it, how big is the land etc.  Maybe there are some ideas which might help you improve the value.  Often if you look at what your costs are which you would incur in getting rid of a property and the loss you might make as well, you would get a better outcome by investing some of that amount back into the property, lifting the value and then reaping the increase in rent and equity.

The trend is also consistent with the market over the past few years, many investors get bored with their properties, and also are too ready to cut and run instead of keeping with their strategy of riding out a few property cycles and sticking to why they purchased the property.

You shouldn't have to set your strategies in concrete as there are always times where a change is needed, however consider it seriously before making a decision to sell.  Perhaps there are other options….

Happy to do a report on the property and area for you and brainstorm other ideas if that would be of interest.

Don't stress though, there are always many solutions.
    Cheers
    Paul.

Positive Results | Educating Property Investors / We Find Houses
    http://wefindhouses.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Helping You To Invest With A Purpose To Finish With Successful Results

Profile photo of Johnwilly1000Johnwilly1000
    Participant
    @johnwilly1000

What the heck I suggest keep y wud one sell when its neutra geared leave it and ignore it even exists. It not costing u a cent so y sell. Invest ina nother. I can’t wait till mine ip go neutral its gona b a while but if it ever gets there I aint selling

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Lena,

I agree, hold on tight.  If you sell, you've kind of wasted the stamp duty and legal fees money you spent acquiring the property. 

Hey have you had a depreciation schedule done on the place?  If not, quantity surveyors do them, they cost about $500.  Basically they work out how much the building, carpets etc are "depreciating in value due to age" each year and they come up with a magical number that you are allowed to just declare on your tax return as a "loss" for the next however many years.  This means you get some tax back from your regular day job simply because your property is ageing.  And of course the fee charged by the quantity surveyor is also deductible.

How long has your tenant been in place? Are they paying the rent and looking after the place?  Are you putting the rent up each year?  ie are the tenants paying the current "going rate" for the area?

JacM

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Lena

Based on all the above, I'd probably stick with the property.  However if you did decide to sell, a traditional sale could be pretty disappointing in the current market.

If you did decide on a sale, we'd suggest you use something like our "negative2positive" process.  It has the potential to allow you to sell your property at a premium price and allow you to get a deposit up front, positive monthly cash-flow and a fixed lump sum captial gain payment when the new vendor finance buyer refinances.

Sandra on the Testimonials page of our website is a negative2positive client.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of karma.lenakarma.lena
    @karma.lena

hi everyone,

thanks for all your advice, i have decided to hold on. 

i was just worried that the downward trend would continue and i'd only lose more money. i thought it would be smarter to take my profit & invest in a nicer area, one that will guarantee future growth – as this one is a bit of a gamble. especially since my property's earning potential has been reached with renovations (& claiming depreciation).

well, let's hope for better times ahead

lena

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.