All Topics / General Property / Signs of Bogus Property Ads

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of roxie.springsroxie.springs
    @roxie.springs

How to distinguish real property ads from bogus ones?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Not easy to do.

• Always check the local value of property in the area. (these adverts may target out of state buyers)
    • Ask local council  and other real estate agents if any issues like having a buffer zone because the property floods.
    • Or having a methane gas leak  (old rubbish tip) or a chemical waste dump site next door to housing estate.
    • As you may be paying extra for sales commission and developers commission.
    • Do not rely on their solicitor or their valuer get independent advice and services.
    • If they will not give you the interest rate and term of any finance they are offering to you be suspect of deal.
    • Check if any roads/ train lines are planned to go through property in question in the future.
    • At the very least of due diligence Google Map the site to see what street looks like and as I noticed in Mooropna Vic on a block of land that the land was right next to a dry river bed which I would assume is now possibly flooding over the site I was looking at due the recent flooding in the area.
    • Check likely flood zones as land might flood

(if they start kicking up a fuss over you going to get  independent advice – become suspect on the deal)

• As Neil Jenman says DON'T SIGN ANYTHING until you get independent legal advice.
    • If the returns are too good to be true they probably are too good to be true.
    • Rental Guarantee's can be paid for by inflated purchase prices
    • Be wary of mezzanine finance deals see http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mezzaninefinancing.asp

You may wish to read Neil's book called DON'T SIGN ANYTHING to get an idea of what can happen.

Profile photo of roxie.springsroxie.springs
    @roxie.springs

thanks for the inputs, Duckster.  I would include these in my next blog article on tips on how to distinguish real property ads from bogus ones.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.