All Topics / Help Needed! / PPOR Advice

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum since buying Steves book several months ago now. I've slowly been absorbing as much info as I can.

Some details.

Our current PPoR is worth an estimated $480 – $500,000
    We still owe $250,000 paying $1000 a fortnight although the mortgage I think is closer to $800.

wife – 38

incomes
    me – currently $85,000  (approx $2100 clear a fortnight)
         soon potentially around $95 – $98000* (approx $2500 clear a fortnight)
        (I say potentially because it's a reclassification of the job I've been doing for the last 4yrs).

wife – $80 – $90,000    (approx $2100 clear a fortnight)
    (Actually my wife just passed her Nurse Practitioners Masters so she'll be getting a raise as well).

Both secure (government) jobs.

My wife would like to upgrade to a bigger house, and she probably deserves that. I'm not against the idea, but not particularly eager either. I've indicated my preference is to stay where we are and buy IPs, but without her on board I'm flogging a dead horse! I've agreed in principle to a new PPoR on the proviso she agrees to buy IPs as soon as we can. We're looking at a 4 bedroom around $650-700,000. Repayments around $1500 a fortnight.

I know these may be impossible question to answer, but I'll ask anyway ;-)

1 – How much of a set back will this be to my plans to get into IPs?
         I'm hoping not too much as my raise should cover most of the increase in mortgage?
         Financially we're doing OK anyway.

2 – If I'm looking to buy IPs in the foreseeable future would it be best to buy the PPoR in her name, mine, or both?

3 – Now the biggy.
         Should we use the equity we have in our current home (approx $200-250,000) toward the new PPoR?
         Or, assuming the banks would lend us the full cost of the new PPoR, to buy an IP? Or Shares?

4 – I'm not sure how I feel about keeping our current PPoR as an IP as the yards are definitely high maintenance,
         although it's an option if the consensus points that way. It's not a house I'd pick as an IP though.
         (Considering my vast experience ;-))

5 – This is a general question, and again probably no definitive answer, but when did you all know you were
         financially in a position to buy your first IP? If in fact you were? I'm a bit (understatement) of a procrastinator
         but in this case am determined to jump as soon as is possible.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum :)

MRW wrote:
    I know these may be impossible question to answer, but I'll ask anyway ;-)

1 – How much of a set back will this be to my plans to get into IPs?
         I'm hoping not too much as my raise should cover most of the increase in mortgage?
         Financially we're doing OK anyway.

A $700k PPOR could end up being a burden in terms of your serviceability down the track. However, if it's the compromise that allows you to get into property investing……A decent broker can run a through scenerios for you, working out what you can afford based on a number of variables.

MRW wrote:
    2 – If I'm looking to buy IPs in the foreseeable future would it be best to buy the PPoR in her name, mine, or both?

You have similar incomes. Unless one of you are planning on dramatically reducing your incomes anytime soon (eg. wife leaves the workforce to look after kids) then it shouldn't really matter. I'm not an accountant, so someone else might be able to advise otherwise.

MRW wrote:
    3 – Now the biggy.
         Should we use the equity we have in our current home (approx $200-250,000) toward the new PPoR?
         Or, assuming the banks would lend us the full cost of the new PPoR, to buy an IP? Or Shares?

I would access some of this money to use as a deposit towards your PPOR loan. Be careful with the bank lending you the full cost of the new PPOR, chances are they'll cross collaterise your old PPOR with your new one. This will cause dramas later on when you want to purchase another IP.

MRW wrote:
    4 – I'm not sure how I feel about keeping our current PPoR as an IP as the yards are definitely high maintenance,
         although it's an option if the consensus points that way. It's not a house I'd pick as an IP though.
         (Considering my vast experience ;-))

It's your call. You can always have the tenant maintain the yards – or you could supply a gardener once a month.

MRW wrote:
    5 – This is a general question, and again probably no definitive answer, but when did you all know you were
         financially in a position to buy your first IP? If in fact you were? I'm a bit (understatement) of a procrastinator
         but in this case am determined to jump as soon as is possible.

Financially, I only had a measly $50k in equity to get me started. Mentally, when I realised that working 9 to 5 until I was 70 just wasn't the life for me :)

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Jamie

I think Mark gets the point now lol.

Whilst Jamie has made some good observations there are a few other points to consider.

Off to my sons soccer final now but will come back and answer it this afternoon.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

One thing to consider when choosing which name is asset protection. Who is more likely to get sued? Possibly a Nurse could be sued for a negligent mistake – Although it may be a remote possibility it is still possible. Depending on what you do it may be better to have the house in your name.

But you also must be careful about whose money goes to pay the mortgage on this house. Even though it may be in your name, if sued, it could be argued that your wife has an interest in it, especially if she was paying the mortgage, You could be her trustee in effect. Having the house in one name may not protect the other person 100%, but it would be a great deterrent and it may be unlikely the creditors would pursue it any further.

Jointly going on loans also adds risk. If something happens and you can't pay both of your credit files will look bad.

It may also work out better for long term borrowing capability to start getting loans in one name only. No sense in wasting borrowing power by jointly going on loans.

Also since you may be renting out the existing PPOR in the future i would immediately stop paying any extra off the loan. Change it to IO and pay excess cash in the offset account. This will make you future tax deductions much larger and save you heaps of tax.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Thanks Jamie,
    read all just in case I missed something ;-)
    (I think this server may need a reboot. it's lagging a bit today as well).

Richard,
    looking forward to your reply. Hope your son had a win.

Terry,
    Some good information there. I guess I just have to sit down and fully understand it.

Any more input greatly appreciated.

Mark

Profile photo of MRWMRW
    @mrw

Hi all,
    Things went as planned and we were successful with the purchase of the new property.
    I was completely clear on what we were to do until the auctioneer made a suggestion as we were signing.
    I mentioned we were keeping our current PPOR as a rental and moving into the home we just purchased.

He said it was obviously up to us but have we considered renting the new house out for 12 months to save on stamp duty!
    That made a lot of sense. The wife hinted she would be more than happy to stay put for 12 months if it meant saving some money.

I don't pretend to know all there is to know about property investment so would be happy to hear from you all.

From a financial point of view would a) or b) below be the better option. (Don't say not to spend so much on a PPOR as it's already done ;-))

New house – purchase costs $683,000. How much we'd get for rent? Not sure
                loan will be around $400,000 I believe.

Current PPOR – value $500-520,000. Loan $248,000 remaining.
                   rent? we've been told around $450 per week.

a) stay in the current PPOR and rent out the new house for 12 months to save on stamp duty?
    b) move into new and rent out our current home.

To me a) seems like the obvious choice, but like most things I'm sure there's other things to consider?

Again, thanks greatly (especially Jamie, who's been incredible over the last few weeks. Highly recommended).

Mark

Profile photo of Jamie MooreJamie Moore
    Participant
    @jamie-m

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the purchase! I was going to give you a buzz to see how it went.

Feel free to give me a call on the mobile to discuss the stamp duty scenerio – I was just about to write a response but there's a fair bit to cover.

Cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Moore | Pass Go Home Loans Pty Ltd
    http://www.passgo.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Mortgage Broker assisting clients Australia wide Email: [email protected]

Profile photo of AJAY14AJAY14
    Participant
    @ajay14

Hi There,

Can someone advise me on this.

I am living in unit which i planned to make IP i owed 90000 on it only and value of this unit is 320000. So making it IP and geting max tax benefit I redraw cash on this propety and made loan value to 232000. and have put all redraw cash(142000) into off set account for the time being.

Now I like to buy one more IP and PPOR from that money. i
    f I make my current house into IP will I get tax deduction on 232000.
    IF NOT my next plan is to BUY future PPOR as IP For 12 month and then make that as my PPOR and current unit as IP after 12 month when i move into PPOR. can i then claim tax deduction on unit which i own 232000 after redraw.

Hope under stand what i am trying to explaine.

thaks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

hi

Since your loan on the property is $90,000 the interest on this amount would be deductible, normally, if you moved out and rented the property. The interest on hte $142,000 reborrowed will only be deductible if this is used for investment purposes – which you won't be doing if you use this money for the new PPOR.

It doesn't matter if you wait 12 months or 25 years, the interest situation won't change as it all comes down to what was purpose the money was borrowed for.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.