All Topics / Help Needed! / deposit when first signing a contract

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

just a quick question – if the contract falls due to building/pest/finance is the seller legally allowed to keep that initial deposit … or does it always go back to the buyer?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

According to this you forfeit the cash
    http://www.domain.com.au/content/advertorial/misc/aussie/Pest-Inspection.pdf

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of JamesSampsonJamesSampson
    @jamessampson

If the contract fails you get back your deposit.

well thats been my experience anyway in QLD.

Profile photo of Ryan McLeanRyan McLean
    Participant
    @ryan-mclean

You can create clauses in the contract before you sign it to say that the contract is subject to building/pest inspection or even subject to you obtaining finance. These clauses allow you to get your deposit back if you get a bad inspection.

Get your solicitor to do this for you

Ryan McLean | On Property
    http://onproperty.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of mccozmccoz
    Participant
    @mccoz

You'll should only get back your deposit as a buyer, if you have specified in your Contract of Sale, that the purchase is subject to "building/pest/ finance" or whatever item.  Even then. the purchaser needs to be specific in how he/she words these "conditions"  of sale.

For example. simply " subject to finance" is very vague.

If for example, the sale was condition was worded  eg "subject to finance being to the purchaser's satisfaction", this should be sufficient for the buyer to get his/her deposit back.

mccoz

Profile photo of LHLH
    Participant
    @lh

You should only lose funds in the case of cooling off and not if the security fails a condition.

Always get a good conveyancer/lawyer to look it over as conditions must be very specific and you can only pull out of a contract subject to an item failing its provisions.

You can also get vendors who might dispute a condition if they feel it's not a deterrent. It can depend on the vendor but I've never seen this happen personally.

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

k thanks.  just askin cos we have had another contract fall through due to finance on the house we are trying to sell.  its costing us so much in advertising but the house keeps going under  contract.  then by the time the contract crashes its been a month and we are due again for another lot of advertising.  was hoping to recoop some of my costs through the deposit they paid on the contract.

oh well :)  was worth a thought!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

If the buyers are issued with a contract before making the offer and undertake their due diligence then they should be in a position to sign a S66W and waive any right to a cooling off period or other conditions they seem to be imposing.

Profile photo of SandraLSandraL
    @sandral

Hi Karen,

It depends on the state the property is located in. If it's in NSW and a contract was signed without any 'subject to' clauses, then the seller keeps the deposit if the buyer doesn't settle. 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.