All Topics / Help Needed! / Home warrant insurance – required?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of steven_packsteven_pack
    @steven_pack

Hi All,

I have received a number of quotes for fire rating walls in a 3 unit block of flats as part of my first strata title deal.

Quote #1 was very detailed and came in at $30k.
    Quote #2 was far more vague and came in at $20k.

I asked the builder behind quote #2 to add more detail and provided the main details from quote #1 to see if it would still come in at the same price. It has, but with the following qualifications:

1. Home warrant insurance is not included, because $20k divided by 3 flats is less than the $12k required for home warrant insurance

Is this a problem? If they stuff up and the roof comes crashing down (the work requires bracing roof beams), will that be covered by basic liability insurance from the builder? Or my insurance?

2. Asbestos removal is not included.

I need to check with them, as they’ve actually been inside and checked it out, so maybe they’re simply saying that there IS no asbestos, and the first builder is just trying load up their quote with additional items that aren’t required. I think the flat was built in the 1970s – what’s the likelihood it would contain asbestos? In fact, isn’t asbestos only a problem if you start cutting it?

Appreciate this is a little vague, any help, especially on point 1 would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

This is one contract not 3 so the contract value exceeds the threshold. (I assume that you own all 3 units).

Every building pre-1985ish contains asbestos in one form or another. The builder is required to undertake a clearance test to identify hazards before they commence works. If they don't identify the risk until they start works then you may be hit with some additional costs for decontamination, if they identify it early you'll only have the additional costs for removal or containment- how long is a piece of string?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.