All Topics / Opinionated! / Do you agree or disagree with a ‘Big Australia’

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of JamesSampsonJamesSampson
    @jamessampson

After watching Dick Smiths docco on a big Australia i almost changed my view on if we need a big Australia.

He makes some interesting points. You can watch the docco by clicking the link below:

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/618641

Personally i still believe we need a big Australia to continue to grow and prosper as a nation. You only have to look at Japan to see what happens when your population stagnates.

Perhaps we grew a little fast recently, but I believe we need to grow in order to prosper as a nation.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

Can we not have something in the middle. How about a nice steady growth Australia.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

It was an interesting doco and I agree with devo – nice steady growth is probably the best option.

Nice steady growth will not sustain current debt levels or capital gains that have been experienced in property over the last 15 odd years, though. these things require exponential growth – the kind which our gubberment was previously pushing for. Steady growth could yield a market that holds steady with inflation though – so 3% (ish) capital gains in house prices PA.

Also, as the doco eluded to, nice steady growth may not be able to replenish the workforce fast enough or offer near enough new debtors to sustain the BBs retirements.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

We're going to have a bigger Australia by 2050 regardless of what Jools or the Mad Monk say, it is not Kevin's big nation it was the Aus Bureau of Stats which came up with the numbers (they may know a little, not much granted).

As a nation, there needs to be planning for this capacity – in the 1960's & 70's the govt of the day did some planning on the growth of cities, growth corridors, satellite cities etc only to be overturned by short-sighted (live for the current term) modern governments.

If the population grows unchecked (without government intervention for infrastructure, land releases etc) then there is absolutely no way that the country can cope with 30 million let alone 50 million pax.

It is time to start turning towards large non-coastal cities, decentralisation, improved transport/power/water infrastructure to support such growth. Like it or not, the pollies will have little to do with the numbers only shaping where it goes and the quality of the slums that they create.

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Quality and quantity should be considerations, in growing Australia.

( It's doubtful Gillard or Wingnut have plans past next week at this stage.)
    Neither of them would have more than 3 shirts ironed at the moment.

It'd be good to hear the Govt's big plan, assuming they have one, rather than just Dick Smith's, although I applaud his effort in getting the spotlight on the subject, irrespective of his motives whatever they might be.

Immigration should consider compatibility.
    It'd be nice to have less problems, not more.

Regional Australia needs more employment opportunities, before more population, because it already has youth drain and talent drain toward the big smoke, due to lack of employment opportunities in rural areas.  
    Some towns are so accommodating towards big business relocating there because they want more jobs, it's amazing more companies don't  relocate. They get Council honeymoon deals and fast track on land, rates, water, sewerage, DA's, roads, whatever it takes, plus lower staff turnover and absenteeism, almost singular culture and language workforce, lower cost housing, short easy commuting, country lifestyle, lower crime rate etc.

Anyway, growth can be achieved, but quality must be maintained along with quantity and timing.  

Sounds like a lot to expect of a Govt.

cheers
    thecrest 

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

The problem is far bigger than population; it is the way a capitalist economy operates.

We need growth. Without growth we go broke.

Problems is; if we reach 50M we will need to continue to grow to support our economy. So then we go for 100M. At 100M we still need to grow to support our economy; so we aim for 150M. So on and so on…

We can slow it but we can’t stop it. The only difference is how long we take before we hit self inflicted ruin (stable or retracting population).

Let’s look at the sad reality;

Infinite growth is impossible!
    Without infinate growth our economy will collapse…

I don’t have time to save to save the world today – I’m off to the pub!

P.S. I challenge you to draw a circle – any size. Them draw a circle inside that circle and keep repeating the process.

If eventually you can’t draw any more circles it’s fair to assume we will eventually have a world wide collapse (not just a little GFC). Otherwise a 3rd world war.

Regardless of your views. Please don’t vote for the Ranga…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.