All Topics / Help Needed! / Need help! really…!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Profile photo of yashduggalyashduggal
    @yashduggal

Hey all! i hope your answers can help me make a decision! we have a loan approved for $350k. planning to buy our first home! :) budget – $350k. its not an IP…..this house is just for us!

I was looking at a 3 bedroom house.  by just doing some research….i found that my budget limits me to some western and northern suburbs. i dont want to buy anything more that $350k as i dont want to over commit myself.

was looking at land size of 500sqm. we are both 27yrs and dont have any kids.

i was looking at Meadow Heights, mill park, trugnaina, tarneit, werribee, wyndham vale.

any advice?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

What are your jobs and where do you currently work?  This will have a big impact on where it is convenient to live… 

Have you looked at Laverton?  It's the last station in zone 1.  It has fast train links to both Melbourne and Geelong.  You can still get a 3br house for under $350k there.  You'd be just down the road from Altona which has Altona Gate Shopping Centre and a beach.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of NHGNHG
    @nhg

Hi, what city?

Also I assume your using your first home buyers grant?

Participant
    @jacm
    NHG wrote:
    Hi, what city?

The suburbs mentioned are suburbs of Melbourne

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of ShelleyVealeShelleyVeale
    @shelleyveale

Hi

I would advise looking in the Altona, Altona Meadows area you will still find 3bedroom, garage large back yard etc there for $350K

Regards
    Shelley Veale

http://www.empowerwealth.com.au / 0409508211

Profile photo of yashduggalyashduggal
    @yashduggal
    JacM wrote:
    What are your jobs and where do you currently work?  This will have a big impact on where it is convenient to live… 

Have you looked at Laverton?  It's the last station in zone 1.  It has fast train links to both Melbourne and Geelong.  You can still get a 3br house for under $350k there.  You'd be just down the road from Altona which has Altona Gate Shopping Centre and a beach.

hey! Thanks for your reply! i will look at Laverton right away! :)

@yashduggal
    NHG wrote:
    Hi, what city?

Hey NHG…..these suburbs are in melbourne. yeah i am a first home owner…would get some $7000 grant! i guess…

@yashduggal
    ShelleyVeale wrote:
    Hi

I would advise looking in the Altona, Altona Meadows area you will still find 3bedroom, garage large back yard etc there for $350K

Regards
    Shelley Veale

http://www.empowerwealth.com.au / 0409508211

Hey Shelly, i have been lookin at Altona for the past 2 months! but thrs not a single house below $350k on realestate.com.au and domain.com.au. 

will check out Altona Meadows…. 

Profile photo of rishi78rishi78
    @rishi78

Hi there,

I have got IP in Altona  Meadows. Its very hard to find 3 bedroom house with decent size block in Altona Meadows for 350K. Instead of looking at Laverton, i would advise you to look in Hoppers Crossing as you can get something in Hoppers with that budget. Also its only 10 minutes drive from laverton station and their is good infrastructure in Hoppers . i.e. Shopping centre, bus/train etc.

Also with laverton, even though its in Zone 1, their is no proper infrastructure in Laverton at the moment . i.e no Shopping centre in laverton you have to go to Altona Meadows for your grocery shopping.

Hopefully Laverton will get boost once the William landing suburb is fully developed.

Hope this helps.

@yashduggal

i work in the city and my wife works in the northern suburbs….but will soon shift to city.  so we want to be able to drive to a train station – park our cars (if we get a parking spot ;))  – and catch a train!

how about derrimut??? and what abt Sydenham? OMG this is soo tuff!

also…is it a good option to consider a townhouse? or should i just stick to a traditional house. read somewhr that land always appreciates…and house depriciates! but townhouses are built on small pockets of land!

helllllpppppppppppppp!

@yashduggal
    rishi78 wrote:
    Hi there,

I have got IP in Altona  Meadows. Its very hard to find 3 bedroom house with decent size block in Altona Meadows for 350K. Instead of looking at Laverton, i would advise you to look in Hoppers Crossing as you can get something in Hoppers with that budget. Also its only 10 minutes drive from laverton station and their is good infrastructure in Hoppers . i.e. Shopping centre, bus/train etc.

Also with laverton, even though its in Zone 1, their is no proper infrastructure in Laverton at the moment . i.e no Shopping centre in laverton you have to go to Altona Meadows for your grocery shopping.

Hopefully Laverton will get boost once the William landing suburb is fully developed.

Hope this helps.

Hi rishi,

thanks for your advice. i have also looked at altona and altona meadows…..all the houses are above $350k.  i did think about hoppers crossing but i have heard from few people that its not a safe suburb!

i guess in that sense even werribee is not safe…some parts! i guess i need to do more research. will check out hoppers also!!!

cheerss…

Participant
    @jacm

No, Laverton is not going to get a shopping centre any time soon, and the area between Old Geelong Road and Leakes Road will house a massive commercial park.  I have spoken extensively to Wyndham City Council about all this.  It is considered that the Williams Landing shopping centre will service the residents of Laverton.  To be fair, Williams Landing is not particularly far away.

Yes you are right about the land.  If you are ever going to want a backyard for your future kids to run around in, the sooner you buy it the better.  Land is going up in value faster than you could save for it.  So if you can, get yourself a house with a yard now.  It also leaves the option open in later years to subdivide and sell off the back yard when you no longer require it.  Or indeed build a dwelling in the backyard and rent it out for income in your old age.  This presumes there are no convenants/caveats on the title preventing this.

If I were in your position, I would be trying to do one of two things:

1. Get a house as close to the city as I could afford (eg Laverton), and close to a railway station
    or
    2. Get a house within a 5min drive of a Westfield Shopping Centre (eg Hoppers Crossing) – with busroutes to the train station

With a major Westfield Shopping Centre already in Hoppers Crossing with a major expansion on the cards, I cannot imagine Mister Westfield suddenly opening a similarly large centre just down the road in Derrimut.

Property values seem to go up in a nice stable manner around Westfields.  It is also the case that there is only a certain amount of land available near train stations.  It's not like they can make any more land…

If you are dead set on the Tarneit thru Derrimut area, stick to Tarneit.  It's getting a new rail station in a few years, is close to the Werribee Plaza Westfield, and has lots of schools including Westbourne Grammar.  History has shown that on the other side of the city, property around private schools performs well.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

ps 99% of Hoppers Crossing is so safe it is boring.  Steer clear of the birdsville estate, which is the area south of the Werribee Plaza where all street names are named after birds.  That's the trouble area.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of octainoctain
    Participant
    @octain

I currently live in williams landing. Brought land here 2 years ago for 206k their now selling blocks in a new release for around 350 our size. Things are going up fast. Yet on the other side of the raaf base in laverton you can still buy a 3broom house on the same size block for that price. Laverton is zone 1 train station. Has existing shopping district and gym and pool and many schools. Prices are currently going through the roof. My advise would be buy there while you still can.

Rumours are that there will be a westfield built in williams landing too which will boost prices. As far as I know there is no westfield in hoppers crossing unless your refering to werribee plaza which is 100% not a westfield

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.