All Topics / Help Needed! / Take control of negotiations when buying. Get a better price!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

I’ve recently discovered that in VIC this can be a powerful stratergy when buying.

Properties in Melbourne are often under quoted. E.g. Vendor has reserve of 500k however property is listed at 420k -470k. The reason behind this is to generate interest in the property. A lot of buyers expect properties to be sold over the advertised range and see this as a 500k plus property.

However. If you offer 480k in writing, the vendor / agent can no longer advertise a 420-470k price range (it is now blatant under quoting which is illegal). They now have to adjust to 480k + or a range starting at 480k. This takes the wind out of their advertising campeign and hopefully pushes interest away from the property (people now expect reserve to be 550k).

Therefore you, as a buyer can take control of the vendors marketing stratergies reducing the level of interest in the property you want to buy.

Bit aggresive yes. But if the agents are playing games on price (false advertising). Why not take a little control of negotiations.

P.s. the only reason agents still get away with under quoting is because the reserve is left “blank” until the day of auction… A rejected offer proves the lower figure in the range won’t be enough – therefore can no longer be advertised.

Knowledge is power….

I think that line is taken…

Profile photo of Matt_ArnoldMatt_Arnold
    Participant
    @matt_arnold
    Banker wrote:
    However. If you offer 480k in writing, the vendor / agent can no longer advertise a 420-470k price range (it is now blatant under quoting which is illegal). They now have to adjust to 480k + or a range starting at 480k.

Hi Banker.

The same applies in NSW.

Matt

Profile photo of LHLH
    Participant
    @lh

Definitely, and who know's, you might even get an acceptance on the offer!

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Sounds like an excellent strategy to me.

K

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Good one Banker, we need all the strategies we can get.
    cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Interesting.

I recently had a bit to do with a purchase in Melb (not mine) where for about 4 mths the person was looking for somewhere, and 90 % of stuff was listed as going to auction and the agents would not accept an offer before hand! …and I kid you not, stuff listed at $450-$490 was going in the high 5's EVERY time at auction, which among other things causes a lot of inconvenience, besides being blatantly misleading – they know it will go well over the 'suggested' range.

MIght have been interesting to submit an offer in writing regardless then.

Cheers

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

Great point V8ghia,

The reason agents dont take offers is because of the reason I’ve listed in my original post.

The agent however has no choice – if you make an offer – they MUST, BY LAW, amend the quoted range to start not less than any formal offer received. They can not claim to have not received your offer; only discourage you from putting your offer in writing.

In your case. If you made an offer in writing. They would have had to increase th marketing. Regardless if they wanted to receive the offer or not.

Banker

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.