All Topics / Help Needed! / Needing tenants out for repairs – anyone had experience with this?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of bouncecfbouncecf
    Participant
    @bouncecf

Hi everyone :)

Just wanting to pick your brains regarding the below and see if anyone has had any experience with it, and what you have done, or what you think we should do?

Have just been given a quote for repairs on a tenanted property my partner and I own which advises "tenants move out for approx 3 days while the work is done as it is messy job." To put it in to context the 'work' is the complete removal of a chimney (brickwork) which has started to collapse internally and is also the cause of extensive rising damp around the fireplace (no longer working). The job involves removing a section of wall to get to the chimney, taking it all out, then fixing/replastering the wall/s. The repairers will need to remove approc 9T of brick and have said they will cover the house (where they are working) with plastic.

The work needs to be done and I'm curious if anyone on here has had to temporarily move tenants out for major, unexpected repairs and what you have done in such a situation. As the owners what are we required to give the tenants? We already told the PM we will not charge rent for the week they have to be out (that's a given) however I'm assuming if the tenant requests we pay for temporary accommodation then that would be fair on their part?

Sorry about the lengthy post, just curious is anyone else has had a similar experience?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.