Forums / Property Investing / Help Needed! / Where to Start – Building a duplex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of IndieIndie
    Join Date: 2010
    Post Count: 1

    Hi there,

    I am looking into building a single level duplex for investment purposes only. I would like to sell one to recoup building costs and keep one for a rental property. I have been looking into it for a while but i am still stuck on where to start. I have an area and block of land in mind but not sure how to go about it. I would also like to find out who to speak to in regards to whether or not this is financially the best option for us as we own other properties as well. Can any body steer me in the right direction? I am in Sydney. Also is there a flat fee for getting DA approval?

    Thanks for your help!!!!!!

    Profile photo of TrevTrev
    Join Date: 2006
    Post Count: 39

    The very first thing you need to do is speak to the Council and find out in principle whether the block can be subdivided; talk to a planning officer at the Council.  Unless it is an exceptionally large block I would be surprised if a single level duplex was viable; work out the area of each unit (allow 2 or 3 bedrooms, living, bathrooms, laundry, garage and circulation) to verify whether a single or two-level building is required.  Work out the total building area and try to estimate the building costs using $/ m2 from other similar buildings in the area (a real estate agent might help with that information), and add site works, paving and landscaping.  If the figures show a reasonable profit margin (20% +) after costs then once the property has settled (assuming you have to buy the block) the formal application to Council can begin.  Apply for Development Consent, Subdivision Certificate and Construction Certificate (I think that's what they're called in NSW).
    This is Development 101, a lot to pick up if you haven't done it before so take one step at a time: first approach the Council to see whether a subdivision of the block can be undertaken.

    Profile photo of david jbdavid jb
    Join Date: 2010
    Post Count: 4

    I also want to do the same thing here in brisbane, only under the ipswich city council. Not too sure about down south but i know i will need at least 800m block for dual occupancy(duplex) and 900m block for sub division. The costs are about $25,000 for the sub and da. There is also certain amount of yard needed for each unit and car parks. Like Trev said the best thing to do is call the councill and have a chat.

    Any body who has any experience in subs or duplexes in ipswich area would be good to hear from.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.