All Topics / Value Adding / two living rooms

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of elizabeth01elizabeth01
    @elizabeth01

hi all, i am planning to buy my first property. it has two huge living rooms. just wondering if anyone can give me advise whether i need council approval or building permit to convert the other living room into 4th bedroom? thanking you in advance

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

If you are only looking to put in lightweight walls (timber framing with plasterboard lining) to form the bedroom/s, Council approval is not required.  Approval would be necessary in cases where structural alterations are to be carried out (e.g alterations to roof framing or removal of load-bearing walls), or an additional bathroom is added, or any changes to the external appearance of the house are intended.  Councils are usually helpful with giving advice on this matter, if you want to discuss your proposal with the local council.

Profile photo of elizabeth01elizabeth01
    @elizabeth01

Thanks heaps Trev…so i can just get a licenced carpenter to put up the wall for me?

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

Hi Elizabeth
    You will need a few trades: carpenter for the wall framing and skirtings, fixing of plasterboard and skirtings; electrician (for any power points and lighting); flusher (to flush the plasterboard joints and fix cornices); and painter.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.