Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of MrsCMrsC
    @mrsc

Should i bother try doing the cgt calc myself or get an accountant?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Get an accountant.

Profile photo of MrsCMrsC
    @mrsc

too complicated for diy?

@dan42

I'd say yes for two reasons. If you get it wrong and you under pay CGT, then the ATO can apply penalties and interest to the shortfall. (That's if they find out)

On the other side, an accountant will work out the amount of the capital gaijn, and may find amounts that can be added to the cost base that you may hafve missed, reducing the amount you thought you would have to pay.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree that you should get an account – but you could try to estimate it yourself. Accountants will hopefully find you  more to claim and do it correctly.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of MrsCMrsC
    @mrsc

Thanks. I think i will go down the accountant route.

Following on from this, any views on whether the ITP's and H&R block people are any good for this? When i call other practicing accountants they bad mouth these organisations. But surely a lot of people still benefit well from their services…

@dan42
    MrsC wrote:
    Thanks. I think i will go down the accountant route.

Following on from this, any views on whether the ITP's and H&R block people are any good for this? When i call other practicing accountants they bad mouth these organisations. But surely a lot of people still benefit well from their services…

I think it depends on who you see at these organisations. They are cheap, and the staff are generally not as experienced as CA or CPA firms. The problem is they usually do the basic returns, and their training is geared towards these types of returns.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.