All Topics / Creative Investing / Need understanding on investing for a group of private investors.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of jackyngewjackyngew
    @jackyngew

Hi

I have a group of private investors intending to do some serious investing looking on short term 3-6 years or long term returns.

One of the options proposed in the meeting was to buy a piece of land (i know…not very creative) of at least 1000 acre, zone and build as developers.

I would like to know if anyone knows what and where of such land is available and how to get them? Alternatively we are open to suggestions on possible investing options. We do not mind using agency or project managers to manage the investments.

Anyone with ideas? :)

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Hi jackyngew
    Your question is the same one asked by developers such as AV Jennings, Mirvac, Australand, Austland, and so on and so forth. Tracts of land of that magnitude, in large part, has often been already land banked by development groups such as those I've mentioned, for future development. Other tracts of land that are of that size if not already landbanked, are not zoned appropriately or are rural/farm land and can't be developed in the manner I think you're seeking.

There are, however, a number of large tracts of land that have undergone subdivision or had development started in the hands of receivers/agents, that may suit your purposes, if you have someone on board who can do the feasibilities and demonstrate highest and best use of the land you're considering. That might be a less frustrating and more available source of projects for your group. I know of a few people who may be able to assist on that front if your group has more specific parameters etc.

IT all depends on their level of investment, their apetite for risk and expected returns etc.

Matt.

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi jackyngew

One section of our business revolves around our JV Partners buying existing properties, on selling them at a premium price with vendor finance and sharing the profits.  This is a great business and we're currently exploring an extension of this idea that includes the building of new residential property, as new builds usually have an amount of built in equity at the end of the build.

Our JV Partners expect our joint ventures to last for somewhere between 2 to 4 years, i.e. the time it takes for our vendor finance buyers to be able to transfer across to traditiional finance.

Not quite a 1,000 acre development but you never know ;-)

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of jackyngewjackyngew
    @jackyngew

Hi Matt

You are absolutely right and I did noticed that Australand and Oliver Hume seems to be the major player in land acquisition and obviously I am rather new.

Currently, the investors are overseas and will be coming onshore visiting possible proposals in Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. One of the investors have already invested in a mine (not sure if it's coal or steel).

What kind of "parameters" do you need to understands their need?

Matt007 wrote:
    Hi jackyngew
    Your question is the same one asked by developers such as AV Jennings, Mirvac, Australand, Austland, and so on and so forth. Tracts of land of that magnitude, in large part, has often been already land banked by development groups such as those I've mentioned, for future development. Other tracts of land that are of that size if not already landbanked, are not zoned appropriately or are rural/farm land and can't be developed in the manner I think you're seeking.

There are, however, a number of large tracts of land that have undergone subdivision or had development started in the hands of receivers/agents, that may suit your purposes, if you have someone on board who can do the feasibilities and demonstrate highest and best use of the land you're considering. That might be a less frustrating and more available source of projects for your group. I know of a few people who may be able to assist on that front if your group has more specific parameters etc.

IT all depends on their level of investment, their apetite for risk and expected returns etc.

Matt.

Profile photo of jackyngewjackyngew
    @jackyngew

Hi Paul

I've taken the liberty to visit your website. At this point, I'm interested but also a little confused on how this works as there's an example yet I cannot quite the idea and need a little hand holding to understand this.

One thing I need to clarify is that the investors are not locals but overseas investors. At this point, I'm in collecting proposals for them as I'll be their point of contact for projects and investments in Melbourne (they have others in other city).

Let me know a little further as the investors can still be interested.

Cheers
    Jacky

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Hi Jacky,
    If you like, email me at [email protected] and we can chat about it there. No doubt your investors appreciate some confidentiality and discretion :)  I also deal a little bit with offshore folks now and then..

Look forward to talking with you.

Matt

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Jacky

As a general rule the Foreign Investment Review Board will allow non residents to purchase residential land, if they agree to commence building a home on the property within 12 months.  Otherwise non residents are not normally allowed to buy existing residential property (other than specifically approved FIRB projects).

Please send me a Private Message or Email and I'll get back to you with more details.

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.