All Topics / Finance / Mortgage broker

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of ChristineBHChristineBH
    Participant
    @christinebh

I am new to propertyinvesting.com after reading Steve McKnight's 0-130 properties book.
    I was keen to contact propertyinvestingfinance after reading the book, only to find it is now being run by a new company, Acceptance Finance. Does anyone have any views/opinions of them?
    (I live in the ACT and have given up trying to find a local broker.)

Thanks in advance

Profile photo of Paul DobsonPaul Dobson
    Participant
    @pauldobson

Hi Christine

I'd suggest you give Richard Taylor a call.  Richard can be found on this forum under the username of Qlds007

Cheers,  Paul

Paul Dobson | Vendor Finance Institute
    http://www.vendorfinanceinstitute.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

An alternative way to finance your home.

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

Maybe you could do a better job yourself?

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

Hi Hans,

You must be the only person in the industry looking for people with NIL experience to work part time as mortgage brokers?

The wider industry has been making massive efforts to professionalise the industry and do away with the ’truck driver today, mortgage broker tomorrow’ image the industry has earned over the last decade.  What’s with benefit for the client with the NIL experience approach?
    How are your part timers going to code with the minimum volume requirements?
    You mentioned you are recruiting for Mortgage House – Is this really the type of broker they’re trying to build their franchise with?
    Sorry to be a prick but I don’t get it?Banker

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I have to 100% agree with Banker and surely you dont want people with 5 days of mentoring experience out there advising sophisticated investors on the lending requirements.

The new legislation is trying to clean up the image and professionalism of the broker market and to me this means a combination of  experience and education and understanding. Non of which in my opinion you can hope to get in 5 quick days.

If i had my way then there would be minimum education standards and the time spent in the industry would be minimum of 5 years before you could be accreditated with a lender.

The days of the part time broker or the job sharing approach between your day job and a wee bit of broking in the evening surely has to be a thing of the past.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of heathersheathers
    @heathers

Just out of interest, how do you become a mortgage broker? And Richard where would the 5 years in the industry be involved?
    Is there a uni degree or tafe course on offer?

Participant
    @qlds007

Regretfully all you need these days is a Cert 4 in Mortgage lending which as Hans points out takes a week and an aggregator to take you on (sometimes harder than it sounds). A couple of industry memberships Credit License and you are up and running

I would like to see a minimal education standard (Cert 4 is a joke) and that you have had some previous lending or financial experience.

Just dont get me started………

Profile photo of WhatIfWeFinanceWhatIfWeFinance
    Participant
    @whatifwefinance

I agree with Richard and co anybody can become a broker. Infact Certificate IV is a "Clayton's Qualification" and teaches you very little about lending and the things you need to be aware of.

Standards must be harder! You do not go to the accountant and decide I can do this and next week become an accountant!

Participant
    @hschmid

Hi Banker, we like ‘new blood’ because they have no reference points from the glory days.

Many ‘experienced’ brokers have a tumour about what was and what is.

Our training systems and technology can help newbies become confident and competent.

It helps when they are the RIGHT candidate to start with.

I agree with the truck driver analogy, and this would make you cynical but the RIGHT candidate would surprise you with their achievements,

As a banker, you might want to triple your earnings

http://www.brokersite.com.au/mortgage_house.htm

Participant
    @banker

Don’t know about tripling your earnings;

Firstly I don’t work in a bank however I am a career banker. Retail, Corporate and institutional banking – mid to senior management.

Secondly some of the leading bank employed mobile lending managers (retail) are earning 500k plus. It is very easy in banking to reach the 100k mark and there are far more bankers settling 100M p/a than brokers. A lot of business bankers earning 90 – 130k bases plus bonuses up to 100% of their salary (even in junior management roles)… The best income in a bank is either at executive level or leading retail mobile banker (p.s. They also ge trail).

When you talk about average earnings in a bank; you get say 70k as a starting point as a mobile banker or branch lender. Plus car ph and super works out to close to 120k if your were self employed ( by the time your pay your own expenses etc). The better you are the higher it goes.

Brokers need a strong network, good understanding of accounting and legal structures and there is no doubt experience goes a long way.

There are a lot of companies that have taken your approach before you. Most of them failed or have now cleaned out the inexperienced staff and now focus on proven quality.

Who takes responsibility when one of your guys stuffs up?
    What do your guys on average make p/a?

Banker

Profile photo of heathersheathers
    @heathers

How would you suggest someone wanting to become a broker get started? Obviously the Cert IV, but then where?
    Who do think would be the most suitable mentor, and what other courses could one do to learn more about legal and accounting issues?
    Would a uni degree in finance make one more equipped to offer advice in mortgage broking, or simply time in the industry?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

heathers – sounds better if you were to just join a bank!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @hschmid

Looks like i am being dragged into a p*ssing contest.

We spend more time mentoring accountants, financial planners, property marketers, school teachers, ex corporate executives than truck drivers and brickies labourers.

So lets adjust the image of a new broker (you were also once new to the industry, remember).

It would be argumentative and arrogant to suggest that no one outside the industry would be worth recruiting and mentoring.

Banker, you are totally misleading this forum to say that most mobile / retail lenders working for the Banks earn hundreds of thousands
    even half a million per year.

I challenge anyone to produce a bank employed mobile home loan lender earning 500K (hey, even 100k would be rare).

Staying with newbies…

I don’t think Mortgage Choice has ever recruited an existing experienced broker but are one of the great success stories.

Loan Market (Ray White), Aussie, Mortgage House, are all running public information evenings to recruit new brokers
    from outside the industry.

Frankly, many existing brokers have become too negative and aren’t coping that well in the world where comms and trails have been
    slashed and deals are harder to get set.

I recruit for many aggregators and lenders in the industry and most prefer clean slate, new brooms to mould than disgruntled dinosaurs
    living in the past.

Participant
    @hschmid

BTW, cert 1V is just the bare minimum start of the education.

I agree that by itself it is way insufficient.

Mortgage Broking is a career with ongoing training, field mentoring and support.

2 years mentoring is now the norm

Profile photo of cuteyoungchiccuteyoungchic
    Participant
    @cuteyoungchic

Hey guys,
    I think we can make our point without putting others down.
    Start your sentences with, “from my experience, I’ve found…..” instead of losing control and criticising someone else’s experience, huh?
    :)

Participant
    @hschmid

Just a bit of testosterone. Nothing personal

Participant
    @banker

Sorry – my posts would come across as putting Hans down but it’s not my intention.

From my experience, lack of experience is one of most crippling factors in the industry. It also affects the viability of a good brokers business by blocking lenders turnaround times with crap deals (one bank recently saying they need to rework 70% of broker applications versus 30% of their own).

You can google or read this site for hundreds of complaints where people have been let down by bankers or brokers. People have lost money, lost their homes and in some cases families have separated due lack of competence and experience of their advisors.  

To clarify to Heathers questions, what you need to do to get into the industry?

The answer is not much. There are people out there that are looking for people with no experience.

The other thing to keep in mind is your expectation.

One of Australia’s leading aggregators recently announced settling more than 800M per month. The second time in the history of the company.  Shared between almost 1200 members at say 0.6% this is $4000 a head before the brokers pay their fees and charges. And thats a good month! Unfortunately the top 20% of their brokers will take the lions share leaving the average broker with a measly income.

Hans,

Sorry to pick on you. However there are a couple of posts you have placed where people ask questions re finance. Your reply is “do it yourself” with a caption in your signature promoting NIL experience?
    Above you say you bring on accountants and planners rather than truck drivers?
    Maybe clarify your market – i
    n my view, if you promote your business in an on-line forum expect people to question or poke sticks at it.

Re your quote above “As a banker, you might want to triple your earnings”.  I think you’re a little of the mark. Terry has the best advise I’ve seen on this post – heathers – sounds better if you were to just join a bank!

At a starting point of 70k for a mobile banker you your guys need to make min 210k to give your statement an credibility.  Bankers also get bonuses.

Maybe brokers with less than five years experience should have a ‘P’ on their cards. OR at least get the clients to sign an acknowledgment that they understand their broker is still learning?

Participant
    @qlds007

Now i would like to see that extended to 10 years.

Maybe brokers with less than five years experience should have a ‘P’ on their cards. OR at least get the clients to sign an acknowledgment that they understand their broker is still learning?

Or even a statement that the client had to sign to state "taking advice from me could seriously damage your wealth.
    However if you have any questions about plumbing / electrical / bricklayer which were my previous occupations i would be happy to answer them with confidence".

Profile photo of PetriaPetria
    Participant
    @petria

Back to the original post "Does anybody have any views on Acceptance Finance". I too have email property investing finance only to get an email back from Acceptance Finance?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

maybe they changed their name?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.