All Topics / Value Adding / Getting Permits

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of emmybemmyb
    @emmyb

Hello everyone,

We are getting organised for our first major renovation project in October and will need to get some permits for some of the work.

What is the process of getting permits? Do we need somebody to draw plans which we submit to council? Does somebody from the council come and look at the property?

There are a few things which we are not even sure if we need permits for. These include..

Two sets of french doors which are going in  where there are existing windows so do we still need a permit?

Decking in the front and back of the house – although it is going on top of an existing concrete verandah, but it will be extended – do we still need a permit?

Removal of two interior walls, one which we think will definitely be structural, the other we are not so sure (We are meeting with the builder on Saturday 31st July to ask him)

Fence in the front which will be more than 1.5m high

We are meeting with some builders to get quotes for all the work that needs doing in just under a couple of weeks. But I thought I would try and find out what is involved before we meet with them as I am just unsure of the whole process.

If anybody can shed some light on the matter it would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
    Emmy

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

You should use an architectural draftsman for this kind of work.  The Council will expect to see a drawing (plan, elevations and details) and specification with the application. 
    If the French doors are wider than the window openings, thereby requiring a lintel to be placed above the opening, the application would need to show the lintel sizes. Requirements for decks vary between Councils but in general the application would need to show bearer sizes, placement of posts etc.  Removal of load bearing walls needs to be detailed.  The walls will support roof framing over, and the detail of any beam used to support the roof where the wall is removed will need to be shown; not so for non load bearing walls. An examination of the roof framing should help you to differentiate between any load bearing/ non load bearing walls.  Generally a fence over 1.8 m high needs to be approved.
    If you work with a good draftsman these sorts of questions will quickly be resolved. The builders will then be able to give you more accurate quotes for what you are looking to do.  

Profile photo of emmybemmyb
    @emmyb

HI Trev,

Thanks so much for your advice..

I've just had a very confusing conversation with somebody from the council. Basically she said that I can pay a draftsman to prepare the plans or can do them myself as the owner with the builder as long as I am willing to put my name on them. I've never heard of that option before. Have you? what are the implications of me putting my name to the plans? She also said we could put the walls,  and deck both on the same permit. I'm not sure who she was but she kept having to go off and check her information with a building planner so I'm a bit dubious.

Does this sound right to you?

Cheers,
    Emmy

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

Hi Emmy
    You should seek the services of a competent architectural draftsman. Trying to do that yourself would be very difficult for you, and fairly unwise.  The council person you spoke to was probably a clerical person; she is giving advice to you as an owner/ builder. Working with one builder would not be cost effective; with a drawing for the work required you can get competitive quotes from several builders and then choose the preferred builder.  
    Everything that you are looking to do, including French doors, deck, and structural alterations to the house can be shown on the one drawing. You could contact the Building Designers Association for the name of a good draftsman in your area.

Profile photo of emmybemmyb
    @emmyb

Thanks for the advice Trev. Makes sense :)

Emmy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.