All Topics / Help Needed! / when buying a villa few years old, do we require depreciations already claim from the previous owner?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of housegoodieshousegoodies
    @housegoodies

Hi guys, when buying a villa few years old, do we require depreciations already claim from the previous owner? I know by law the owner needs to give us some information regarding deductions already claimed. But I am not sure what is exactly needed from the owner when buying a property only few years old?

Profile photo of nightelvesnightelves
    @nightelves

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought depreciation is claim at the start of settlement regardless of any claims made by the previous owner.

Profile photo of housegoodieshousegoodies
    @housegoodies

Hi, that is exactly I am not sure about. Say if the the aircon, furniture, the light fitting etc etc was $5000 when new, the seller has made depreciation claim using the 10% methods, and after 2 years the value claimed is $500 + $450 = $950. Does that mean we claim on the depreciations on the remaining lot of $4050? If the owner did not bother claim any depreciations, does that mean we can now claim the depreciations on the original purchase price of $5000?

Profile photo of nightelvesnightelves
    @nightelves

Nope you claim on the $4050 regardless of whether there was a claim or not in the past

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.