All Topics / Commercial Property / Commercial – residential – is GST applicable?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Profile photo of TroodygTroodyg
    @troodyg

Would anyone know?: If I was to purchase an untenanted previously commercial property with the intention of reverting it to residential use would GST still be applicable?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Yes, i believe GST is applicable to commercial. Don't forget you you might be able to claim it on a purchase.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

It's not a going concern as untenanted.  If the current owner is registered for GST then GST will need to be charged in most circumstances, if you are cnverting to residential after you purchase it is unlikely that if GST is charged to you that yuu would be able to recoup it as it would be an input taxedd supply to you

Profile photo of TroodygTroodyg
    @troodyg

THankyou Terry w and crj – unfortunately a call to ATO today confirms you are right – the current owner is registered for gst and must charge GST on a commercial property regardless of my intent.

If I the current owner changed the use before I bought no GST would be charged however getting this actually achieved is ? fairly unprobable talking to the agent and lawyers. 

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Troodyg – but you can claim it back.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TroodygTroodyg
    @troodyg

Yes Terryw  we could claim it back if we were GST registered in the entity we were buying- though it isnt- not sure how hard it is to be. we were trying to make a win win situation for the vendor and ourselves – we have put in an offer but of course they want more!

Of course we dont really want to pay more! However we thought if we could get out of the GST  as we only want it as residential, We would be able to pay the price we were prepared to and in fact the vendor would get more than they want because they would not have to pay the GST to the tax dept!

This one is certainly problems all over we thought of some great solutions to- unfortunately there may be to much red tape to make it worthwhile! Not to worry we have a few more angles yet!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The gst does not go to the vendor, it is passed on by the vendor to the govt – so not an issue with the vendor (although they must receive the gst in order to pay it).

By being registered for gst, you could purchase 'as going concern' hence not paying the tax, providing it meets the other requirements of the ATO.

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    By being registered for gst, you could purchase 'as going concern' hence not paying the tax, providing it meets the other requirements of the ATO.

'

It;s not a going concern – it is untenanted

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

(Get a very short term lease in place, problem solved).

Profile photo of JeremyVJeremyV
    @jeremyv

As always – Ask your accountant to make sure :) lol.

Queenbury Investments

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.