All Topics / Help Needed! / Tax Deduction on recent purchase

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of harripharrip
    @harrip

Hello

I purchased an investment property on 9 July 2010.

I was looking to obtain a depreciation schedule on the property, but an accountant advise I may have to wait until the next financial year to be able to obtain the deductions. Is this correct? I have to complete a monthly IAS for the tax office, so could this possibly prevent me from submitting the PAYG withholding variation form that I believe is usually used to obtain the tax benefit now rather than waiting?

Thanks.

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
    harrip wrote:
    Hello I purchased an investment property on 9 July 2010.

Congrats!

harrip wrote:
    I was looking to obtain a depreciation schedule on the property, but an accountant advise I may have to wait until the next financial year to be able to obtain the deductions. Is this correct?

No, you will be able to claim deductions in the 2010/2011 financial year.

harrip wrote:
    I have to complete a monthly IAS for the tax office, so could this possibly prevent me from submitting the PAYG withholding variation form that I believe is usually used to obtain the tax benefit now rather than waiting? Thanks.

No that won't prevent you – do it now (do both now )

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    harrip wrote:
    Hello I purchased an investment property on 9 July 2010. I was looking to obtain a depreciation schedule on the property, but an accountant advise I may have to wait until the next financial year to be able to obtain the deductions.
     Is this correct?

Yes because you missed out on last financial year 30/06/2010 anything after this date is claimed after 30/06/2011
    You are waiting for next tax return lodgement after 30/06/2011 for the time 1/07/2010 thru to 30/06/2011

harrip wrote:
    I have to complete a monthly IAS for the tax office, so could this possibly prevent me from submitting the PAYG withholding variation form that I believe is usually used to obtain the tax benefit now rather than waiting? Thanks.

This depends on if the new purchased property expenses exceed rental income and if this loss is greater than the extra income you are earning now. As an IAS usually occurs if you earn more income that is not PAYE.
    You have to work out the overall non PAYE income – new property loss = 0 or < 0
    If you make an overall loss you can offset against wage then you would be able to vary tax.
    May have to wait till tax return done to figure this out with ATO.

Profile photo of nightelvesnightelves
    @nightelves
    Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think that article is regarding those who have owned properties and never claimed the depreciation. If they get one done now the can amend tax returns up to 4 years ago to claim the depreciation they missed out on.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.