All Topics / Help Needed! / Rewiring an older house – any leckies or forumites give me a rough idea of price? Ta

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Hi All,

Much as it pains me, it appears I need to have the wiring redone on one of our IP's – timing sucks FYI. Got to speak to the guy who the agent had look at it asap, and was wondering as a very general idea, what sort of pricing to expect. It is an older, weatherboard 4 br house, not huge, and not that long ago we had the mains box etc and cabling at the facia replaced for around $700.
    Any rough estimates? Anyone in wimmera/central vic interested in a job?
    Appreciate any input.

Cheers

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of cadadccadadc
    Participant
    @cadadc

Hey V8ghia,

Very hard to put an exact price down, as there is no definite way to tell without seeing a layout of the place, how much cabling needs to be replaced, how hard it is to get to the outlets/lights/hotwater etc. Im a sparky in brissy, and we charge 77 an hour (roughly) plus all your materials, just as a general idea of prices.

The only thing i can think of is to get several quotes, and watch out for any that are too narrow in their specs, or have three pages full of disclaimers (eg "no allowance made for blah blah") as they may try to pull extra money out of you with variations

Be great to hear from you as to how much it all ends up being, with any luck it'll be one of those easy jobs where everything just goes easy (they do happen, and theres no better feeling than a seemingly hard job going smoothly)

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Thanks guys.  I'll keep you posted too cadac -got a guy looking at it today, after the original one lost interest in quoting (calling me back actually) He sounded helpful, and claimed to do a lot of rewires of older laces so we'll see. Appreciate the comment on the disclaimers too. – I'll watch out.

Cheers

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Well……
    Was not a painful as I thought it might be.
    If it helps, aside from the fuse box (which was replaced 3 mths ago for $700) it ended up costing me a tad under 4 grand which included replacing most of the switches and power points too. However, there were a couple of circuits already updated. SO, I guess 4.5 – 5.5 k is a real world figure. I did have some higher quotes though, and as usual, one that could not be bothered returning a call.

Cheers       PS There goes the tax return!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I was just watching a show on TV and they said around $6,000 to rewire an old house.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.