All Topics / Help Needed! / Subdivision question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of dougaldogdougaldog
    @dougaldog

Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can help… been a long time reader, but have recently decided to get serious and jump into the property investment market.

I want to subdivide in Bayside Vic.

Basically – Does anyone know what minimum plot size I’d need to look for for a 2-lot subdivision in R1Z? A mate has been telling me 650m2 for R1Z, but I can’t find this info anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

p.s. I’ve read through the docs on the lands.vic.gov.au and am finding them a little difficult to get to the bottom of (anyone have a cheat’s guide??!).

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I think the problem lies with the council requirements.
    Like for example
    Minimum distance from street frontage
    Minimum driveway wide for common property
    Minimum land space for each dwelling for recreation rather than building
    Where is the sewerage going  to run from the dwellings – uphill doesn't work !
    Stormwater where does it go ?
    Turning circles for vehicles.
    650 m2 sounds like the figure

but what you need to do is get a team together first.
    A designer / architect
    A private town planner for the suburb you are looking at- would be helpful or ask the council
    You can have a pre planning meeting with the council with the design to try and find out if the design is ok.
    A surveyor

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/Documents/two_or_more_dwellings.pdf
    http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/building_forms_and_guidelines.htm

Profile photo of dougaldogdougaldog
    @dougaldog

Hi Duckster,

Thanks for this response… I think you have nailed the question with a suitable answer: “it depends”!!

Does anyone out there have experience of subdivision south of Melbourne?

Also – any private town planners on this forum worth their salt??

Thanks.

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan

Hi Dougaldog,

"It depends" somes it up pretty well!  As a first step I would have a look at the Neighbourhood Character Policy, this is one of the local policies for Bayside CC found here: http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/PlanningSchemes/bayside/home.html
    Once you know your area and what is envisaged then you may have a better feel for what density would be accepted.  Also check out if you have any overlays on the property as they can impose greater restrictions on a development.  Finally there are some variations to the standard Clause 55 (requirements for setbacks, overshadowing, built form etc) in Bayside which will also impact on the development.  Hopefully you can put this information together to get an idea of density.  You can then talk to the council planners to see if you are on the right track.

I work with several architects/designers out that way who I know do a fair amount of work in Bayside and would be happy pass on the details, if you are interested.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.