All Topics / Value Adding / Bathroom Reno – Knocking down the Shower wall

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of fxtrader8fxtrader8
    @fxtrader8

Hi guys,

I need some help with renovating a bathroom. I'm not sure on how to go about knocking down the shower wall. I plan on doing this myself, can someone point me in the right direction?

Please have a look at a similar bathroom with the shower wall I want to knock down.
    http://www.domain.com.au/ore/Public/Gallery/Photo.aspx?adid=2007247144&pic=1&st=1 (its the 5th pic)

Also what is the best way to go about removing all the tiles? I was told to use a small jack hammer to lift all the tiles from the floor however I'm not sure about the wall tiles. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
    J

Profile photo of Shannon_tShannon_t
    @shannon_t

Hi J,

I would speak to a plumber first and ensure he can make the pipes inactive and let you know when its fine to rip stuff out.

A small Jake hammer would be best for the floor, depending on for size of the wall you might just look at a blunt chisel and a hammer to get the wall tiles off, if your not keeping the cladding behind it you might be able to just rip the whole thing off

Cheers,
    Shannon

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Hi J,

Sound advice from Shannon. Always determine two things when considering knocking out a wall:

1. Are there any services (electrical or plumbing) in the wall. It's dangerous and potentially expensive if you find these the hard way! When you have removed the linings you will be able to see if any services are present.
    2. Ascertain if the wall is bearing any load. Again this could be embarrassing to learn the hard way!

As for removing the tiles, they do sometimes come away in large sections on the sheet to which they are attached. That's to say you could try removing the whole sheet rather than individual tiles.

Good luck with your project.

Profile photo of fxtrader8fxtrader8
    @fxtrader8

Hey Guys,

Thanks for both your comments, made it really clear on what I need to do. I spoke to the real-estate agent concerning those points you outlined and he said its fine to knock down the wall as many people in the apartment have done so in the past. As for the tiles he said they come off really easy as they are on gyprock walls(and probably on sheets). So thank you for pointing out which tools I needed to get that sorted. I won't be changing the arrangement of bathroom, so its a straight knock down/rip out and replace type job.

Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated.

Best regards
    J

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

By the way, if you did have trouble removing the tiles in a different reno you can rent from any of the building supply rental companies (Coats, Kennards, etc) an attachment for the jackhammer which is specifically used for removing tiles (helps get under them easier to lift).

Wishing you every success, Ana Stankovic

Profile photo of NBSNBS
    @nbs

To be honest if the tiles are on gyprock (hate that product in water areas) I would try and take the top row of tiles off and cut about 50 mm below the previous tile line and remove the sheets as a whole with the tiles on. Resheet and then tile. Easier and quicker. I assume its the nib wall you are wanting to remove  should be nil water or power in that wall.

To take the floor up I start at the door and put a bar under the tiles and lift then hit with a sledge hammer and it cracks in easy removed blocks, just cut the wire and you then just remove little slabs of concrete and tile. 

Brian 

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

Don’t know if you have already done the job or not.
    It is not load bearing, so you are safe there.
    There doesnt seem to be any services visible.
    These nib walls are really easy to remove.
    We try to keep them intact, as it is easier to transport in a whole wall, tiles still attached etc.
    you remove the shower rail, and then you need to start levering the wall away from the floor and the attached wall using a pinch bar. Once the wall has been removed/detached, we get our huge Kiwi labourer in and he picks up the wall and takes it to the bin.
    if you don’t have a front rower at your disposal, remove the tiles and the sheets in sections.
    If you use a large screwdriver and hammer, you can usually work the point of the screwdriver between the substrate and the timber frame, then work in a pinch bar and carefully loosen the substrate.
    Remember to use gloves and goggles, as the tiles can splinter, throwing little shards, and the edges get very sharp!

good luck

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.