All Topics / Help Needed! / Im having trouble disputing Phil Jones and his deedlien.com website.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of mark76gmark76g
    Participant
    @mark76g

Hi,

This makes me really angry. I signed up to and attended the USA tax liens and deeds seminar after attending Steve Mcknights property seminar last year.

At the seminar they convinced me that I need to subscribe to their web site to get lists and Support.
    I signed up for a 1 year silver subscription.

The silver support was terrible and was nothing like what he promised. Based on their forums and the highly exagerated advice of Phil I went bymyself to the USA and attended various Deed Auctions in Florida and Texas only to find out that securing a bargin property was really really tough.

I wasted two months and thousands of dollars in travel expenses. The advice given on their forums was terrible.

Last November I decided to just cancel my visa card and forget about the whole thing. Then I found out that in the fine print Phil had got me to sign a direct debit contract so even though I changed my visa card number the payments kept comming out. The bank told me that even if I canceled my card and closed my account the payments would still go against my name.

I put in dispute forms with visa (12 of them one for each month) on the grounds that…

a) The support was terrible
    b) The support forum disapeared from the deelien.com website for several months and has only just reapeared.

I check the website a few times in the early part of this year and noticed that the forums were missing.

Phil has responded to the dispute by sending visa a copy of the forms I signed last year.

Does anybody know if there is anything I can do to defend my self here and get my money back off Phil.

The whole thing makes my VERY VERY Angry and goes way beyond the money itself.

I feel like taking out full page newspaper ads against Phil.

Thanks,

Mark

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Is this company or business australian? If so you could approach the dept of fair trading in your state with a complaint.

You can't dispute the payments with visa, as it really has nothing to do with them You signed up with a business and they are only processing the payments. any dispute you have is with the business.

There may be other legal actions you can take so it may be worth talking to a lawyer.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

Is this company or business australian? If so you could approach the dept of fair trading in your state with a complaint.

You can't dispute the payments with visa, as it really has nothing to do with them You signed up with a business and they are only processing the payments. any dispute you have is with the business.

There may be other legal actions you can take so it may be worth talking to a lawyer.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of mark76gmark76g
    Participant
    @mark76g

The company is called north island holdings.
    My guess is its not an Australian company.

One of the bigest problems is that its very hard to prove that the support forums were not even available for months as they
    are back now.

I wonder if anybody else managed to get out of it.

Mark.

Participant
    @mark76g

The company is called north island holdings.
    My guess is its not an Australian company.

One of the bigest problems is that its very hard to prove that the support forums were not even available for months as they
    are back now.

I wonder if anybody else managed to get out of it.

Mark.

Participant
    @terryw

do a search at asic.gov.au to see if it is registered.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw

do a search at asic.gov.au to see if it is registered.

Email Me

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Mark

I agree with TerryW.  You cannot go through VISA to cancel the payments.  You entered into a contract with Phil Jones' company and signed a direct debit form.  VISA are just complying with the form you signed.  Any dispute you have is with the company and you will have to take up the issue with them.

The truth is with most of these seminars, everything looks so easy.  If it was all that easy then everyone would be doing it.  If the company was fraudulent in what it presented then it may be possible to chase up an American agency that you can report the company to.  But there is a clear difference between fraud and the company just presenting its' best results.

Given that the company is not Australian I expect that you will have a very difficult time getting any money back from them.  However, I suggest you contact them again, pointing out that the forums are no longer available and the promised support is not there.  They may just agree to cancel your direct debit.

Once upon a time I was a solicitor.  A very common legal saying is that when a client says something like 'it's the principle" or "this goes way beyond money" that's the time to ask the client to put $50,000 into the solicitor's trust account!  Fighting for principle is very VERY expensive.

Good luck

K

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Mark

I agree with TerryW.  You cannot go through VISA to cancel the payments.  You entered into a contract with Phil Jones' company and signed a direct debit form.  VISA are just complying with the form you signed.  Any dispute you have is with the company and you will have to take up the issue with them.

The truth is with most of these seminars, everything looks so easy.  If it was all that easy then everyone would be doing it.  If the company was fraudulent in what it presented then it may be possible to chase up an American agency that you can report the company to.  But there is a clear difference between fraud and the company just presenting its' best results.

Given that the company is not Australian I expect that you will have a very difficult time getting any money back from them.  However, I suggest you contact them again, pointing out that the forums are no longer available and the promised support is not there.  They may just agree to cancel your direct debit.

Once upon a time I was a solicitor.  A very common legal saying is that when a client says something like 'it's the principle" or "this goes way beyond money" that's the time to ask the client to put $50,000 into the solicitor's trust account!  Fighting for principle is very VERY expensive.

Good luck

K

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

As Linar and Terry point out, your dispute is with the supplier not with Visa. You will need to address your issues with Deedlien.

When you cancelled your visa how did deed lien follow you up to chase the outstanding money (as they couldn't charge visa)?

You continued to use Deedliens website after you stopped payment – so were you dissatisfied with their service?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

As Linar and Terry point out, your dispute is with the supplier not with Visa. You will need to address your issues with Deedlien.

When you cancelled your visa how did deed lien follow you up to chase the outstanding money (as they couldn't charge visa)?

You continued to use Deedliens website after you stopped payment – so were you dissatisfied with their service?

Participant
    @mark76g

I stopped using the site back in November 09.
    The support and information given on the site was terrible. I actually travelled to the US and wasted 2 months and thousands of dollars going
    to deed auctions. The site was no help at all. I paid for a supposed special level of silver support but there was hardly anybody on the silver support forum and my questions were answers in a very superficial way that didn’t really properly answer them.

In the fine print when I signed up I didn’t realise I was entering into a direct debit contract.
    Even though I changed my visa the bank informed me I couldn’t stop the payments. Even if I shut down my account.
    The payment would still go against my name and the bank would consider me liable for them.

They can only be disputed after they have been taken.

Participant
    @mark76g

I stopped using the site back in November 09.
    The support and information given on the site was terrible. I actually travelled to the US and wasted 2 months and thousands of dollars going
    to deed auctions. The site was no help at all. I paid for a supposed special level of silver support but there was hardly anybody on the silver support forum and my questions were answers in a very superficial way that didn’t really properly answer them.

In the fine print when I signed up I didn’t realise I was entering into a direct debit contract.
    Even though I changed my visa the bank informed me I couldn’t stop the payments. Even if I shut down my account.
    The payment would still go against my name and the bank would consider me liable for them.

They can only be disputed after they have been taken.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.