All Topics / Value Adding / Window Furnishings for new property to rent out

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of ladybirdladybird
    Participant
    @ladybird

I am in the planning stages of building two 2-storey townhouses that will be initially rented out, but may be later sold. The properties should sell for about $800K+ each, so as rentals they will be up market. I am interested in what window furnishings people would suggest.

If I were to build them to live in myself, I would be looking at aluminium shutters for all bedroom and living room windows, except for a few high line windows where I would use venetian blinds (that match the shutters). Would this be overkill for rentals?

Profile photo of BexsBexs
    Participant
    @bexs

Hi Ladybird,

I have a 2 bed flat which is rented out, it is significantly less in value than yours will be though! We bought a good matching set of sun-block curtains for a bargain off ebay to install in the bedrooms, loungeroom and dining room. We chose them due to the flat having large windows and heating up a lot during the day, and also for privacy. They were in such good condition it would be difficult to tell they were 2nd hand. Im sure you could pick up some 2nd hand venetians too.

If i personally were living in the flat I would have bought new items, but with a rental there is always the risk of them getting damaged. But this risk is alot less for you due to your property being of a higher value. Its always a bit of a gamble with a rental property.

Profile photo of lostnomadlostnomad
    @lostnomad

Consider the market that will rent it, are you building for yourself or for them to live in.
    At the end of the day what want you want to do is put something in as cost effective as you can that will cater to the people that will be living there and blinds are generally more expensive than curtains.
    I would personally get a nice but cheap set of curtains, it does the same job.

Profile photo of akirkakirk
    Participant
    @akirk

Children and pets can make pretty short work of venetians!  Anything aluminium can bend and scratch easily as well.  I have a beautiful house that I rent out – and as much as I would love to have fabulous blinds – I settled with curtains which are much more forgiving!

Profile photo of RnPRnP
    @rnp

Do a price comparison between a regular set of curtains and the aluminium shutters your considering and see what the difference is – if it's $1000 (for example) – that could be two weeks of rent.  Best thing to do is ask local real estate agents and rental agents if they think its worth it.  Would you recoup the cost in increased rent?  How long before (if at all) that item will return a profit…all good questions to ask yourself.

Amanda

Profile photo of ScratchScratch
    @scratch

If you’re aiming at a higher quality tenant with a higher then average income then you are going to need to finish the development with high quality furnishings to justify the rent you want. This forum is great for free advice but I’m not sure if you will get the right answer. For a development like this it might be worth enlisting the help of an interior designer? If you don’t want to outlay the fee for their service, as they don’t come cheap, talking to a real estate agent who has had successful sales in that area or that type of property and ask their opinion.

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

Aluminium venetians are the best!
    Who cares if they damage it – you have bond.  Never had mine damaged. But they would be easy and cheap to replace.

I always order them online.Cheppa Blinds seem to always be the best deal – http://www.cheapa-blinds.com.au
    I measure and install them myself – and I'm a girl with no special training.
    It's easy.

3 bedroom house with bay windows + venetians in all bathrooms and toilets (I think they add class) cost around $1,700-$2,000 and takes about 4 hours to install. But I’m getting faster each time!

Profile photo of ladybirdladybird
    Participant
    @ladybird

Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Profile photo of kattimakattima
    @kattima

Blind Inspiration strive to provide excellence in quality blinds, shutters and window dressings to suit varied tastes, purposes and budgets.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.