All Topics / Finance / Interest only loan repayments with an offset account.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)
  • Profile photo of Dan_Dan_
    @dan_

I’m a little confused on how to understand my loan repayments. 

The best way to outline my question is with the following example.

Assume you have a interest only loan which is currently at $100,000 (30 year term) and you have an offset account which contains $80,000.

Your repayments are based on the amount owing ($100,000) and the interest is calculated on the difference between the loan and the offset account (effectively $20,000).

Every month the principle reduces due to the interest payment being greater then the interest charged.

In effect you are getting ahead and paying your loan down faster.

The confusing part to me is the following,  

• Even though the principle reduces each month, the loan repayments stay the same (expect for interest rate movements). Shouldn't they reduce?
    • Even though you are paying down the principle faster, if you wanted to keep the same loan term, the bank will not adjust your repayments accordingly, despite having paid back more then required. Shouldn't they want me to pay slower?

I don’t understand why this is and if you can please clarify the above for me it would be great.

Thanks

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

In short

The loan is an interest only loan and therefore the loan repayments will vary depending on the number of days in the month but the principal debt will stay the same. Interest will only be charged on the $20K rather than the full $100k being interest only.

There is the odd lender that still charges interest on the full debt in this case $100K and then has the interest on the $80K is treated as an advance repayment.

If the loan was P & I then of course it would be different and your calculations would be correct.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Dan_Dan_
    @dan_

Thanks for your response Richard,

Qlds007 wrote:
    In short

The loan is an interest only loan and therefore the loan repayments will vary depending on the number of days in the month

My loan is this yet the repayments remain static, regardless of days in the month and it even ignores the fact the the balance is lower month to month. This is what I don't understand.

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

Reading your first post it sounds like you have a 30 year P&I loan not an interest only loan- which bank is it?

If you have a 30 year loan you will have a set repayment over 30 years to clear the debt. If you put in extra cash you can redraw to where you would have been if you made your standard repayment. Therefore think of your balance plus available redraw as your limit:- it is this limit that your repayments are set on (noting you can redraw to this point at any time).

If your loan is paid by direct debit; ring the bank and tell them you will make payments manually. Most lenders don’t need repayments if you are ahead (accept lenders like Westpac whocall it a repayment holiday and promote it as a feature). Therefore you can simply recalc your own repayments with a loan calculator to recalc the original term based on the balance rather than the limit.

Profile photo of BankerBanker
    Participant
    @banker

I clicked post before reviewing my last post…

Similar applies to offset: your direct debit is based on the limit not the net amount interest is charged on. Change to interest only (as Richard mentioned) and you should only be charged the relivant interest amount.

If you let us know the bank the feedback can be more specific.

Participant
    @qlds007

Of course other option is it could be one of the Credit Unions and a few of those offset interest on quarterly rests so have to wait to the end of the quarter to gain the benefit.

Unlikely but as Banker menioned we need the lender to advise further.

@dan_

Thanks for the responses,

The bank the loan is with is St George Bank.

Here is some more information to help clarify my question. The loan was originally a P&I loan for 30 years, however after 1 year I converted it to interest only with a 100% offset account. I pay the interest amount monthly and bank any extra into the offset account.

So whilst my interest only payments are high, my interest charged amount is a lot less due to the offset and the balance reduces my mortgage.

The result is that every month in my mortgage balance is being reduced (even though I make interest only payments)

What I fail to understand is that even though my balance is reduced each month, and the amount of interest each month should be different due to the number of days in the month,  my interest payments remain static (unless rates change) why is this?

Secondly any money that is ahead of the projected term of the loan can not be withdrawn, nor can the repayments be recalculated to lower my monthly commitment.

I’ve tried talking to the bank about this but loose them because I have not made any “additional payments” and the surplus in my mortgage is locked away.

By writing this post I may have found the answer, is the bank calculating the interest on my loan based on a 30 year repayment term, where ( for example a portfolio loan) is calculated as possibly never being paid out?

*on a side note I have a portfolio loan with them which works exactly as it should (to my understanding) in that each month the interest payable varies with the days per month, and hence my payment varies, yet the above loan is interest only and does not do this.

Profile photo of benno79benno79
    Participant
    @benno79

Dan,
    I found myself in a very similar situation recently – I am also with St George.
    I asked my broker to explain and they told me this:
    "I/O payments are always based on the loan balance, regardless of the offset balance. Effectively this means when you have cash sitting in offset, the “interest only” payments that are automatically debited from the offset a/c will not change, instead they will actually repay a small portion of principal (that is, the portion that you have “saved”)"

@dan_
    benno79 wrote:
    Dan,
    "I/O payments are always based on the loan balance, regardless of the offset balance.

Thanks for the response, however every month my loan balance is reducing due to the cash in my offset, yet the payment is static.

@dan_
    Banker wrote:
    If your loan is paid by direct debit; ring the bank and tell them you will make payments manually.

Thanks for the response and idea, I wish the bank would let me do this and pay via CC to earn FF points.

Profile photo of benno79benno79
    Participant
    @benno79
    Dan_ wrote:
    benno79 wrote:
    Dan,
    "I/O payments are always based on the loan balance, regardless of the offset balance.

Thanks for the response, however every month my loan balance is reducing due to the cash in my offset, yet the payment is static.

The repayments are calculated on the 'original loan balance', for the life of the IO loan (usually 5 years or so).

Profile photo of casanovawacasanovawa
    Participant
    @casanovawa

Dunno, but maybe rather than the bank adjusting your repyaments as your remaining principal of the loan gets reduced, they just keep your repayments the same and it is the term of the loan that gets reduced.  Like people say put in a little extra each month and you reduce the loan by so many years (pay it off ahead of time), rather than the bank keeping the loan term the same and just reducing your require monthly payments as you get ahead…  

so to put it more clearly, it might be the loan term rather than the repyaments that reduces unless you somehow specificly ask the bank to recalulate your monthly payments if its not doing it automatically??  As Benno above says maybe the banks are not inclined to vary the repayments during the life of the loan unless you get into some financial dificulty….

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    benno79 wrote:
    Dan,
    "I/O payments are always based on the loan balance, regardless of the offset balance. Effectively this means when you have cash sitting in offset, the “interest only” payments that are automatically debited from the offset a/c will not change, instead they will actually repay a small portion of principal (that is, the portion that you have “saved”)"

St George confusingly have 2 (or 3??) different offset accounts. There is one where they only take the savings off the interest each month. You might be able to switch over.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of SydneySider2000SydneySider2000
    @sydneysider2000

Is ANZ Simplicity Plus in the same category?
    Have just taken out this new loan with ANZ interest only 30 yrs terms. A fairly big loan. 
    Have made additional deposits to the loan to lower the monthly repayment.
    Question is will the monthly repayment change or will it be based on the original amount borrowed?

Thank in advance.

Participant
    @terryw

That is a loan product, so slightly different. Repayments will probably stay the same until you ask them to recalculate it, or until there is a interest rate movement and they recalc then.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @qlds007

I think we had all figured it was The Dragon.

Profile photo of jacqui_03jacqui_03
    Participant
    @jacqui_03

Just to confirm – I am about to take out a rocket repay investment loan with westpac for $304k with 100% offset account as we are getting a very good discount of the rate and no fees, does this product offset the interest daily? The lender didn’t give to many details on the product and I was hoping someone could tell me if there was a minimum balance required?

Also, we have opted to use an interest free credit card with westpac to get reward points as we will do all our living expenses on the card and pay closing balance before due date. There card is 45 days interest free with points or I could get a 55 day card no points with travel insurance? What would be more benefical? Or am I best to pay the annual fee with CBA and get 55 int free with rewards and travel insurance etc?

Participant
    @terryw

i have one of those products with westpac, and i beleive there is no minimum balance requirement on the offset. I also use their card, altitude, which includes an AMEX card with double points (but not many accept amex these days). This gives me a lot of points which i mainly use to get gift vouchers which more than covers the annual fee.

Email Me

Profile photo of jacqui_03jacqui_03
    Participant
    @jacqui_03

Hey Terry we are currently on the attitude gold card no annual fee but only 45 days interest free rather than 55 days. Will the 10 days make a bigger difference in saving interest rather then the points we could potentially accumulate?

Participant
    @terryw

Probably will only help a lot if you are spending mega bucks.

assuming you spent $2000 per month, at 7% the annual interest would be $140, so the daily interest would be about 38c, so having the $2000 in your offset account for an extra 10 days may only save you around $3.8 per month.

Email Me

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.