All Topics / General Property / Cost to relocate house?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of FrugalOneFrugalOne
    @frugalone

Ok – I realise where talking a very unknown quantity here with so many variables, but I'm looking for some kind of guide as to the cost to relocate a house.

Let's say I've found a basic 3 bedder weatherboard, average size house. I need to organise for the house to be picked up, transported (say 50km's), reseated/replumbed/wired and so on.

I'm thinking this (and remember this is a very uneducated guess):

– Make sure all necessary approvals are in place and so on
    – Removal of electricity supply by council
    – Plumbing removed
    – House split
    – Trucks bought in
    – House loaded onto trucks
    – House moved
    – Trucks put into place to seat house
    – Rejoin sections of house as needed
    – Hook up electricals/plumbing
    – Council to reconnect electricity

Does I have any idea of what's involved or am I completely off the mark? :D

Does anyone have any ideas of costs involved or where to look/who to contact?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi,

I was actually just looking into this the other day! It looks like it will cost around $45-$60k to move. Some of these prices included the house so Better to get some more accurate quotes. They also suggest on some of the sites that you factor in replacing the roof as this is cut up when moving. If the house is in good nick and you have a block might be worth it. Let us know how you go. I found some of the info from searching the forums, have a squiz.

Cheers

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of TroodygTroodyg
    @troodyg

I havnt fully looked into it myself however was quoted recently by an investor that in Cairns it is about $60k to move a house locally.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Hi,

I have found that a number of developers list houses for removal on ebay. They are often listed for less than $1000 and these are houses in okay condition. They usually are on a large block and it is cheaper for someone to remove the house for a minimal payment, than for the developed to knock them down and remove them..

Profile photo of grimnargrimnar
    Participant
    @grimnar

What about sliding the house into another location on the same block? I.e. move it 1  meter this way or 30 meters that way…

Profile photo of FreckleFreckle
    Blocked
    @freckle

When buying a place that's going to be relocated you buy in a ready to move condition. IE, there is access to the property and all services are terminated. Not your problem. 

Depending on delivery location the transport co will price accordingly. That includes all prep work (splitting house etc). You need to cost site prep at the delivery end. Forget about services at this point. What you want is a house in situ ready to rehab. You will invariably reno such a property to some extent. That's the next phase where the tradies come in to install ground services and connect as required while internal rehab/reno work is completed.

House construction is often an issue. The house must be sound to shift or this will seriously up your cost to reinforce it. If it has chimneys or masonry features they need to be secured or removed. Tile roofs are a b%$^h and would have to be removed. They can literally fall apart en route. Glass can be an issue in old places. It become more brittle with age so is prone to damage.

One of the major cost factors is the route needed to travel. Height and width obstacles complicate and up the price accordingly. 

You need to plan and cost this type of proposal carefully. In the main if done well they can come out very well. Get it wrong and it quickly becomes a disaster. It's the type of proposal that suits a renovator with a broad range of skills.

Profile photo of TessTess
    Participant
    @spedone

I relocated a house 20 odd years ago. the house was free and the move was $20,000. That was moving and reassembling. It worked brilliantly! Was a timber house, corrugated roof and timber lining. This is the best as the timber doesn’t crack like plaster can.

Profile photo of Corey BattCorey Batt
    Participant
    @cjaysa

I relocated a house 20 odd years ago. the house was free and the move was $20,000. That was moving and reassembling. It worked brilliantly! Was a timber house, corrugated roof and timber lining. This is the best as the timber doesn’t crack like plaster can.

Indeed – I’ve had a few clients who have moved timber houses with ease – I was surprised how well it worked.

Pricing has definitely gone up a bit, I’ve seen move and establishment costs at circa $50-60,000 – but this is highly dependent on distance, type of property etc so you would need to get specific numbers before doing any project to make sure you don’t get any surprises.

Corey Batt | Precision Funding
    http://www.precisionfunding.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Investment Focused Finance Strategist - servicing Australia-wide

Profile photo of mikemike
    Participant
    @farmermick

Hi,

does anyone really understand the costs for relocation of a free house? we are buying acreage Near Grafton and have had a good home offered for free and pick up is at Gunnedah, the house is on piers etc and it a timber home with metal roof so looks suitable, upon ging onto contractors sites they offer very cheap homes around $4ok and average homes around $60-70K already to be transported etc with transport costs running around $50 per/klm (first 100 free from depot)which is costly if you have to go between 700-1000klm’s for example surely it must be cheaper does anyone really have first hand information in 2018?

Profile photo of CamCam
    Participant
    @walrus69

I would be very interested to get an idea on 2018 pricing too if anyone has any recent experience.

Profile photo of mikemike
    Participant
    @farmermick

Okay I have had several quotes for House relocation-
    Basically it all depends if you buy a house direct from the relocation company but be aware that most of these homes are purchased cheaply or removed for free so they charge anywhere for a modest 3 bed 1 bath from around $45k up to $70-80k if you move up to a better home expect to pay $90-$120k on an average 3-4 bed 1 bath and they all have the standard 100klms delivery for free but 70% of these homes are in South East QLD I have 10 sites if anyone requires them all with homes for sale advertised.

Then you can expect after 100 klms the charges range from $45-60 per klm and more if its a single move so if they have to split the home in 2 you will be paying $90-$120 klm then add on pier costs which are $250 for every footing (average around 20-25).

From my quotes they word things very loosely so you really could be suprised with many extras on completion and you have to be an owner builder and have all your council permits in place.

for example we found a lovely free home in Newcastle (similar were advertised on there sites for $80k) and asked for prices to move to Grafton NSW which was 500klms and quotes were $70 and $85k just for pick up and transport not including footings or an engineer inspection which varies to ensure home travel worthy.

I did speak to one Haulage company that had 8 homes for sale compared to the others that have from 25-40 homes for sale and they had a hoe advertised for $59k got them down to $40k and from QLD to Grafton it would cost $67k so even bargaining down they still got above there price anyway.

from my recent experience it seems a rort to be blunt but we still want to do up and old home so will pay it anyway and reno it over the next 5 years, the big bonus is these home do not have fibro or asbestos they are all timber with timber joining etc and half are decent enough.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.