All Topics / Help Needed! / Sorry, but you’ve got to go

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of RowesterRowester
    @rowester

Hi,

I have a (dept of housing) tenant, who has been a perfect tenant…..looks after the place, personal rent cheques always on time. However, I need to renovate the propoerty and on-sell.

The rental contract expired in April 2010. Whilst I have given her an indication that I will need to renovate, I haven't given her a time frame.

How much notice do I need to give her? Is it 2 months?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ian

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

New to renting myself, but my guess is that the number of days notice should be specified in the rental agreement/ contract. If your tenant is renting on a month to month basis, then I think 28 days notice is all that is required.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Depends what state you're in I believe.  Give consumer affairs a call and ask.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of KateMelbKateMelb
    @katemelb
    Rowester wrote:
    Hi,

I have a (dept of housing) tenant, who has been a perfect tenant…..looks after the place, personal rent cheques always on time. However, I need to renovate the propoerty and on-sell.

The rental contract expired in April 2010. Whilst I have given her an indication that I will need to renovate, I haven't given her a time frame.

How much notice do I need to give her? Is it 2 months?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Ian

Again, depends on your State. All the tenancy laws in every State are listed here, along with the websites of each State's Consumer Affairs/Fair Trading Department: http://blog.rentwise.com.au/index.php/2010/05/24/free-forms-and-resources-for-self-managers

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Check with the office of fair trading. In NSW it will be changing to 90 days soon, so beware.

Profile photo of RowesterRowester
    @rowester

thanks guys.

It seems as though the following applies in NSW when the tenancy agreement has expired:

60 days if no reason is given
    30 days if the property is to be sold
    14 days if the tenant breaks original contract (late payment, damage to propery etc)

Cheers

Cheers, Ian

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.