All Topics / Help Needed! / Customer Service Logs/Tape recordings from Banks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Hi All,
    I want to obtain copies of the 'customer service' tape logs that record the conversations you have with bank representatives when you call.

I've just be screwed by one medium tier bank, and am now considering legal action. I want to know how I can obtain those records, and what legislation they're subject to (as in can they deny access or are they obligated under any Acts or otherwise to supply them to me).

I know what I was told and it is in direct conflict with whats now being said..

Anyone got any experience or knowledge on this front?

Profile photo of VK6TVAVK6TVA
    @vk6tva

Hi Matt,

At the start of the conversation did they inform you that they were going to record your conversation, if they did then you can apply to the Privacy Act for a copy of the recordings and you consented. If you want to record anyone you must advise them that you are going to record them and not to start until you get their permission. If on the other hand you replay to another person what you have heard or spoken about then you are breaking the law as it constitutes "Third Party" traffic.

Another place to call would be http://www.acma.gov.au as they would have guidelines as well. Hope this helps.

Mel

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

They will be required to retain the records for 7 years.

The Bank Ombudsman should be able to assist you with getting hold of the recording.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.