All Topics / Value Adding / Kit Homes vs Spec Homes

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Will2WinWill2Win
    @will2win

Hi

We’re looking to build a house on a subdivided battleaxe block to hold and rent out in SE Qld. Spec home builders generally look to cost about $1000 – $1200/sqm for building. I’m doing a comparison of kit homes (steel frame) particularly with designs being sympathetic to the traditional ‘Queenslander’ and also prices appear pretty reasonable.

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing and constructing a kit home either as a PPOR or IP? We would most likely have it constructed as we are from out of state.

Thank you

Profile photo of Yuppy Hippy 101Yuppy Hippy 101
    @yuppy-hippy-101

Hi Will2Win

Have you looked at ASK Homes website?  I'm going through the same process at the moment, so will let you know what I find.

Profile photo of Will2WinWill2Win
    @will2win
    b.free2live wrote:
    Hi Will2Win

Have you looked at ASK Homes website?  I'm going through the same process at the moment, so will let you know what I find.

Thanks, will have a look. We’re planning to drop by the display homes for OzKitHomes sometime soon as well to have a look a the quality and get a better idea of pricing. Do keep me posted and I’ll update with anything useful I find.

Cheers

@will2win

So it was a gorgeous Sunday in Sydney and we decided we’d take the drive up to Emu Plains to check out the display homes of PAAL Kit Homes http://www.paal.com.au/display-centre/display-nsw.asp . It was the only kit home supplier we could find that was open on a Sunday :(
    To cut to the chase, PAAL’s main line of houses are ‘estate’ type homes for acreages but they do have another business that does ‘off the shelf’ smaller designs such as granny flats, small units and 2 – 3 bedrooms homes.
    We walked through the 3 display homes they had and we very impressed with the quality of the homes. Really just like any other display home just that the real savings are in the owner-builder putting everything (or atleast most of it) together. Saving you in some instances $100k in building costs. The estate homes are to some extent customisable, I think, whereas the off the shelf designs are not and this is reflected in the much cheaper prices – up to $65k for lock up – which means just the shell of the house.
    The designs didnt really quite suit what we are looking for – 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom – contemporary Queenslander types but it gave us an idea of what a quality kit home would end up like. There are a host of other kit home suppliers which we’ll try to visit in the next few weeks as we’ve seen some great designs. Now we’re thinking we wouldnt mind building one for ourselves when we decide to finally buy our own PPR :)
    So it isn’t a bad option if you’re looking to build one yourself because of the time it’ll take. We’ve had lot of practice with putting together Ikea shelves in 10mins flat but I think this is a whole new ball game. Might not be so viable for building for an investment property.
    Anyone else had any other experience?

Profile photo of richteddyrichteddy
    @richteddy

Hi Will2Win

Depending on how you are going to finance the house build/project may also effect your options. Some of the lenders are still touchy about Kit homes. However some of the Kit home companies are now working with particular lenders which makes things some what easier.

Richteddy

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

hi i have seen some kit home companies advertising on ebay, not sure where you are located, but they may be an option

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

ebay listing details for kit homes. if searching type in real estate, not kit homes otherwise you get listings of home hair clippers!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TRANSPORTABLE-RELOCATABLE-HOME-CABIN-/260623037399?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Real_Estate&hash=item3cae57f3

cheers

Sonya

@will2win

Thanks guys for your comments. I came across this a post on another forum that I found invaluable for anything considering building a kit home

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58256

richteddy – I'll find out more from my broker about lender's treatment of kithomes

sonya – if the kit home came with hair clippers…that'll be a bargain! ;) 

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

There's another option here in SE Qld; check out http://www.smartersmallhome.com.au
    If you want to know more, get in touch with me at [email protected]
    There are 2,3 and 4 bed versions, and can be constructed in 6 weeks, less if you use the modular but for now we're pleased with the built-in-situ version. Can be also supplied with a furniture package.
    We can supply anywhwere in Australia.
    Cheers
    Matt.

@will2win

The website looks interesting Matt and affordable housing is definitely what a market we're looking at. Will have a more detailed look at the site.

What would a standard 3 bedroom cost to build and what does that include? eg just lock up stage, DIY or employing a builder

Cheers

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Will2Win –
    Send me an email and I can get an idea of where and what you're looking at, and can provide further details on estimated costings etc. It can vary slightly depending on the region etc. We've found the further up the coast you go, the more expensive things get, including materials. In some cases we're finding it cheaper to ship from Brisbane rather than rely on for example Mackays builders and pricing.

Any pricing essentially takes it up to handover. I can list inclusions and exclusions in an email to you.

We have builders all over who can do it. It's not at the DIY stage just yet but we're working on a flat pack version as well.
    Cheers,
    Matt.

Profile photo of Yuppy Hippy 101Yuppy Hippy 101
    @yuppy-hippy-101

Hi Will 2 Win

I have competed myhomework on kit homes vs project builders.  I investigated construction of a duplex pair with ASK Homes.  All costs with a builder was approx $400K (this includes all council fees, engineering fees, etc and duplex ready to live in)  The ASK duplex as a comparison would be approx $350K.  Still not convinced that the $50K saving is worth the time and effort of having to project manage the building procedures?  If I saved $100K I think that it would be worth it.

Bfree2live

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.