All Topics / Help Needed! / One bedroom Reno Help Required

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • Profile photo of reddahaydnreddahaydn
    @reddahaydn

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at a major reno on  a one bedroom unit. I'm just wondering if anyone has done anything like this and some idea's on pricing and timelines?

I'm thinkin this place will need to be gutted, new plaster, floor coverings, kitchen and bathroom and lighting.
    I will do painting and other odd's and ends. Is there any thing else i should look out for?
    Has any one got any idea of pricing for these things and also timing?
    Any examples would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Haydn

PS. it's a state trustee sale and it's 12kms from melb cbd so i should be able to pick it up pretty cheap.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Go to bunnings and look at their flat pack kitchens
    And a new rangehood
    Try and avoid to much plumbing as the plumber may need to rip the tiles and plaster board off the wall now if you can avoid this it will decrease the cost of a new kitchen. Once you know the measurements of the kitchen you can work out plumbing requirements for water and maybe gas.
    Then get quote from plumbers on work required.

Plaster board seems a bit drastic. Patch up holes if any or cracks with plaster filler and no gaps or b.uilders bog
    Repaint
    Fix ceiling where old fan is . May have a water leak in roof that has caused damage in picture
    May need roof repaired .
    White tiles on wall look ok to me

May need to replace lino on kitchen floor . Either Lino or ceramic tiles.
    Timing depends on you.
    If you do the work yourself it could take up  to 3 months to 6 months

If you hire tradies it will take less time. Get quotes if using tradies. THen you will know what it will cost.

P.S Stove / Oven thing looks dated. New stove might be needed Check pricing at Bunnings , good guys, Ect

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I agree it may be a bit drastic to be getting rid of the plasterboard.  Get some sugar soap and a bucket and a sponge mop and get into it.  You might be surprised how it comes up.

Can't see the state of the sink in the pic.  Is it salvageable?  If taps look bad, they'll be cheap to replace.

I'd get rid of that weird shelf thing that sticks out, and instead have cupboards along the wall.  (Both walls that the kitchen has to offer for wall cupboards).

I'd also consider a slightly overhanging benchtop such that it can double as a breakfast bar with a swivel stool (with no back, or it will look too bulky and messy).  Not being able to see the full size of the room, it'd be great if the bench could be a teensy bit longer to allow two stools to fit.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of RandJRandJ
    Participant
    @randj

Great bones to work with !!  I agree re kicthen , check out bunnings and also budget kitchen suppliers.  Some places have a standard kitchen that may work for you.  In bunning you can get kitchen guides with grid and sized cupbd to layout.. dead easy to use.
    Hunt around at Joyce and Harveys for kitchen package bargains.  We got an oven, ceramic cook top, range all in stainless steel, plus a bosch stainless stl dishwaher all for $1500 !!!  the dishwasher was the old model and was $200 under cost price.  cheap and looks great in a IP.
    wash the walls well.  Use a quality brand 3 in 1 undercoat sealer prep coat.  Spend the extra $20 on a good brand… you get less splatter and a better new surface to start with.  If you want to u can use this on the celing too.  It may be worth getting 2 smaller tins and having one tinted to your wall colour.. saves time later as you only had to add one top coat to the walls.  a good celing paint is worth as welll nothing worse than needed to recoat 2 times to get coverage.
    consider panelled splashbacks in the kicthen as they are easy to fit.
    love the idea of a brekkie bar.. so usesful in small flats.
    make sure u take lots of before and after pics so you can enjoy your hard work later :))  and once you select a colour scheme, use it again and again so any left over paint goes to teh next job – store paint up off the floor and never on concrete  !!!
    good luck.. love a reno job :)))

Profile photo of reddahaydnreddahaydn
    @reddahaydn

Thanks Guys,

I have some leftover paint from when I painted the spare room in our house (however it's currently stored on concrete, i better get it off the floor tonight. Is this to do with the concrete being cold?)
    Thanks for the idea's guys, I really appreciate it!
    I've lived in a one bedroom unit before so i have a good idea what works and what is easy to use. A breakfast bar is exactly what I had in mind, with wall cupboards above the benchs.
    Sink will be going, I hate those old industrial sinks and it will look out of place with everything else. I will be looking to get stainless appliances, I will definately use good quality paint as I am saving on labour and want to make the job easy for myself.
    I will def fix the ceiling and instal a stainless range hood.
    I like the idea of fixed stools, stops the carpet getting ruined by bar stools being moved round all the time. Iwill be replacing floor coverings, they are all knackered.
    I will get tradies to do most of the work, Iwill just do painting and the easy stuff. While it would be nice to save on cost, i'd rather just get it done quickly.
    Here are some more pics. its quite possible the old man died in there?? Now you'll see what I mean by the plaster, but when I inspect it sat I'll be able to make a better judgment.
    Keep any idea's coming guys! It's all taken on board and very much appreciated!!!!

Participant
    @jacm

The situation in the bathroom looks like there is some serious mould going on with the walls.  You might require some new plaster in there.  Either way, definitely get a fan installed.  Preferably one that automatically turns on when the light is switched on, but also has the option to turn it on by itself (ie for the daytime when lights don't get turned on).  I'm a big fan of those IXL Tastic models (it's a 3 in 1 with fan, light and heat), though some might consider this to be overkill.  I don't like the older models as they seem to gather dust and filth, and I am too lazy to clean hehehe.  The IXL tastic seems to remain cleaner.

Email Me | Phone Me

Participant
    @jacm

Also, I can see the spot where in theory the fridge would go… but I see no powerpoint.  Get your electrician to ensure there is a powerpoint for the fridge when he is there.  Also the powerpoint on the benchtop has only two spots.  So let's count:  microwave, kettle, toaster…. nope, not enough.  it would be better if there were four points.  Get the electrician to upgrade it.

Email Me | Phone Me

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

Check the other parts of the unit for power points (bathroom at basin, bedroom at bed for bedside lamp and electric blanket etc).  Make any power points provided double GPOs.
    The staining on the carpet outside the bathroom indicates that the bathroom floor may not be well graded to the floor drain, so that water from the shower pools on the floor and flows out onto the bedroom floor.
    Looking at the outside photo, the eaves soffit looks like metal deck so it's probably a roof with low pitch. The exhaust fan above the oven is therefore probably vented to atmosphere, and the water damage around the fan may be because the flashing is not totally effective.  If you're putting in a range hood the new flashing will solve that issue.
    The mould on the bathroom wall may be caused by a leak in the shower plumbing (commonly in the breeching piece). Have a plumber check this before you do any retiling/ painting in the bathroom.
    Put in new plasterboard cornices, it's not too hard if you're a bit handy.
    I've painted walls and ceilings in the same colour, off white.  The ceiling colour always looks different to the walls and it saves a bit of time when painting.
    Change the door handles on internal doors if possible. 
    Maybe reglaze the internal window to the bathroom, to provide a frosted-type glass.
    Nuke the weeds with Roundup and put in a few feature plants outside.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Looks like there may be a couple of damp issues with the property as well – you best treat this before you do any painting or tiling as it will only reoccur causing issues with the tenants. Looks like there may be some issues on the roof also causing the ceiling to be damaged by mould (slow roof leak).

Look to a floating floor in the lounge/kitchen, vinyl sheeting to the laundry, if the tiling is still OK in the bath, have them & the bath resprayed.

There seems to be insufficient room to put in a cornice over your windows.

There are plenty of kitchen appliance packages on the market but you should get a hood, cooktop & oven (or range & oven) for less than $1k. Solid hotplates are best for rentals.

Profile photo of mickjohnmickjohn
    @mickjohn

Would Asbestos be an issue with an older unit like this?

Participant
    @jacm

Just want to mention that I think this thread is awesome.  Very educational indeed, especially for those of us who are not tradies and not experienced in identifying issues such as described in the replies above.  Would love to see lots more practical "here are pics of my reno project, help me see what needs fixing" threads like it!

Email Me | Phone Me

@reddahaydn

I agree, this has been very helpful. Powerpoints is one thing I hadnt though of at all but is a very important part of a home as even I remember looking for powerpoints when I bought our place.
    Is it easy to get rid of damp? Being a structural engineering (a young one tho) I should be able to get advice on how to do it at work ,but generally we don't know how much it will cost.
    There is a brick wall just out of the photo's which would be the party wall to the next unit.
    two of the other unit owners have also done recent reno's so we may look at doing something externally to the whole block if we can get majority vote for the BC.

Thanks very much for all the info guys!! Really appreciate it!

Profile photo of joez71joez71
    Participant
    @joez71

Awesome Thread

Just curious, reddahaydn you buying to rent?  what sort of rent would it fetch after you've renovated it?

joez

@reddahaydn

well there is a unit in the same block renovated a few years ago asking 260pw so i would think similar or slightly more.
    i would be hoping that would mean it would be worth at least 260-280k.

Profile photo of TrevTrev
    @trev

Reddahaydn, eliminating dampness from a bathroom is not always straightforward.  I used to do building repairs for insurance companies and a common fault in bathrooms was a leaking breaching piece in the shower.  A plumber can do a pressure test to check whether there is a leak. If no leak is evident then the issue may just be inadequate ventilation, and an IXL Tastic would be a good idea as suggested earlier.
    Is the shower over the bath? If there is a separate shower (not clear from the photo) and water from the shower is flowing across the bathroom floor a small threshold could be provided at the shower to confine the water; this can only be done if there is a floor drain in the main part of the bathroom floor (i.e. separate to the shower waste).
    Good luck, it looks like a worthwhile project being so close to the city.

Profile photo of yoyo galaxyyoyo galaxy
    @yoyo-galaxy

The unit actually looks pretty solid and decent condition from outside.
    In addition to what others have suggested, two things I would do:
    1. Repaint the outside wall with a more humble color, The bright red is a bit too scary for most people
    2. Minor plumbing to make the kitchen tab coming out of the bench instead of the wall.  

Profile photo of RnPRnP
    @rnp

Hi,

Remember to keep the colour scheme light and airy for the best return $$$ – whites and soft light colours with only small splashed of colour for decoration if you wish. This is always best for rentals aswell and a neutral palette pleases most people.

Amanda
    Winning Formulas For Success

Profile photo of akirkakirk
    Participant
    @akirk

I would love to see pics of it when it's done!!

Is it strata titled?

If so, then you will likely need approval for any internal changes (just a letter to the Strata Managers with your date range may suffice).  Also, if it's strata, then you won't be able to do anything with the external appearance (that will be 'common property'.  But, some of these possible roofing and plumbing issues that have been mentioned through the thread may fall under Owners Corp.  Real Estate should be able to give you details of the Strata Managers and you can ask them directly for a copy of any special by-laws!

Best of luck!  :) 

Profile photo of dnh83dnh83
    @dnh83

Hi Redda,

I've tried numerous times to get pics loaded into posts – how'd you get it to work ??

Please keep the photo's coming…

Good Luck with it.

Cheers,

Darren

Profile photo of loungepupppyloungepupppy
    @loungepupppy

I am not sure about the pricing, but make sure that you agree on a reasonable quote with the contractor before reno begins. Certain contractors make outrageously low bids just to get the order and then claim the estimates were wrong and charge twice as much as the original bid. I don't know whether it's different where you are located but better be on your guard.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.