All Topics / General Property / No Housing Bubble in Australia…is there?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 212 total)
  • Profile photo of eloieloi
    @eloi

LOOOOL what i see here is investors who purchased properties in the last 10 years. The last 10 years have been unprecedented, they will not happen again for another 20 yers or more. The reason for this is because prices of properties compared to peoples earnings are almost double what they should be so people can not afford to buy. Further more if people arent buying then developers arent building thus a huge proportion of the working class will not have funds to support themselves so how will they be able to buy property. The government will not be introducing any more housing stimulus because their objective now is to bring the housing prices to a realistic level. Another factor is immigration has just been cut to 1/3 of the previous lvls so that around 200k less people entering australia and less properties needed. Everything is pointing to a downturn so anyone who thnks otherwise are just making the same mistakes that stock market investors made when all the signs where there in 2006-07 that the market would crash but still thought it would keep going up. I dont bleive prices will come down %40 but i do beleive they will come down around %20 and then stagnate for a few more years until the earnings to price ratio lvl out to an affordable lvl.  If i had bought property in the last 2-3 years i would sell now and place my money into a term deposit for 2-3 years but if i had bought 7-8 years ago i would hold it becauase more than likely ur all ready in positive guearing and u can afford to sit and wait.

Profile photo of eloieloi
    @eloi

Im currently in the building industry and i can see what is going on in the developers minds. They simply arent building because they arent selling. in 2009 and early 2010 most of the people  buying where foreign investors who would pay anything for a house but now the government has put  laws in place to stop them from over paying and shutting australians out of the market. The effect of this is not many people are buying now because australians cant afford to buy. What alot of people dont realise is that the building industry employes a huge amount of the australian workforce, either through direct jobs in the construction phase or inderect jobs like retail, real estate, banking, mining etc etc. So we can expect unemployment to increase over the next year. Look at gold coast. I lied there for 10 years and was in the construction industry there during the boom, now its dead and about %50 of the population are struggling to pay bills because of it. They didnt deversify into other industries and now alot of people are suffering. I saw a property for sale just last week for $550k negotiable that 2 -3 years ago sold for $850k of the plan. thats all ready around %30 drop so anyone that thinks property prices wont fall are just being delusional

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Couple of points. Immigration has NOT been cut to 1/3 of the level. Yet. It is lower that previous years by a considerable amount but we haven't shut the gate as a nation yet. Who is to say that if re-elected JG won't reneg on her promises and open the gate again. Australia has been built on the back of immigration and any government who slashed immigration levels to record lows would be shooting themselves in the foot.

As for the Gold Coast. This market has suffered huge oversupply for a long period of time. It is a buyers market. There are a lot of the same type of dwelling available. So values would be down.

As for major regional centres their time is here soon. Time to buy. Perth will be on it's way soon enough maybe late next year or early 2012. Sydney will be the dark horse coming into the new year. Qld will stay down for a little while yet.

In you posts you write "If I had bought property" several times. If you had bought property and were an unemotional investor you would weigh up how the current market where your property was was performing.

I will be building as soon as DA available. As long as there are buyers I will build.

The sky is not falling.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of hschmidhschmid
    Participant
    @hschmid

We meet developers and investors all the time.

One client bought 15 x 3 bedroom executive apartments in northern beaches Sydney (off-the-plan) with the view of selling for a profit before settlement.

They have a current (May 2010) HTW valuation for 935k each

He cannot find buyers and with completion around the corner, he is becoming desperate.

Others (individual buyers and investors) have also bought off the plan for 900k with settlement iminent.

We can buy them for 650k, nearly 300k discount

What will happen to the valuations when these discounted sales go to public record.

How will they others get their funding if new valuations don’t stack up

Its a house of cards with lots of pain to come.

I feel for the other buyers who have to settle on 900k+ with a valuation of 650k (ouch)

It only needs a few stories like this to hit the media and a shift in sentiment could happen very quickly.

Beware the bear

Participant
    @dwolfe

Cool….

Well, I'll be cashed up quite soon and ready to rampage my way through the forthcoming buyers market.

This will sort the wheat from the investing chaff. In another 10 years we will hear the cattle call…." If only I bought then….how was I to know it was going to go back up….?"

baa baa black sheep have you any investment properties? Yes sir, yes sir, 95% full. One for the master and one for the dame and one for the mortgagee auction just down the lane.

Any investor who is not prepared to ride out the storm through lower leveraging, selling unsustainable or under performing assets and spreading risk through diversification will get burnt.

Spare a thought for the mums and dads who will see their "guaranteed" super wash away with the tide of speculation.

D

Email Me

@eloi

hey dwolf.

Yeah the reason i didnt buy in 2001 was because i was young and stupid because if i had bought in gold coast back then it would be worth almost 2.5x what i would have paid and the rent would have been more than enough for me to purvhase another one. Not to worry ive learnt alot in the last 10years and i am hoping to begin my property investing very soon. Im cashed up now and just hanging for the right property. 

hey hschmid yeah ive seen alot of those stories in the last year. I actually know a few developers who have  gone belly up because they couldnt sell their properties and the banks came knocking and  some of those apartments are still available for sale.  Do you  invest urself schmid or just recruit and market other companies. Who are u recruiting for right now.

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    hschmid wrote:
    Beware the bear

Bears are nice, they just want to cuddle bulls – hence my avatar.

Listings are up 50% in a lot of QLD. Perth and WA are rising fast also. Either of those states will be places for bearish bargains in a year or so – so long as the government doesn't re-stimulate the industry with some new grant types, further PI tax cuts or rental subsidies.

@eloi

speaking of rental subsidies and grants. What are the rental subsidies and grants on offer in each of the states of australia? Which state offers the better deal for investors? I heard that qld offers up to $10000 a year on subsidies for investments properties. Does anyone know how it actually works.   Thanks

Profile photo of Mick12345Mick12345
    @mick12345

Hi Guys,
    My first post so please be nice!
    I am new to the property investing game, and am still to purchase. But I can't quite figure it out….
    I have read and researched every thing possible about property investing for over 2 years…and as much as I would like to purchase an investment property, everything I have learnt is saying NO! Don't Buy! This is a bubble about to burst!
    Have you property investors got balls of steel, or have you simply forgotten the basic fundamentals of property investing?

For instance:
    Never follow the crowd.
    The ATO reports that 1 in every 7 taxpayers are property investors. Sounds bloody crowded to me!

Buy positive geared property.
    Yeah right. In today's market? Maybe in Muckinbudin or Meekatharra?

Buy in a growth area.
    I'm sorry, but it looks like the beanstalk has already grown, and I think Jack is about to swing the axe.

Tell me something: I can understand current property investors will hold onto their properties during a downturn/price plateau…but they won't be increasing their holdings during this phase, not only because they don't want to, but also because they can't refinance through increased equity…and 1st homebuyers aren't buying….and upgraders can't sell so can't upgrade…and reinstated rules are slowing overseas property investors…

so who the hell is going to buy?
    I smell a correction

Participant
    @dwolfe

This all reeks of fear. Here is a box of tissues.

So, investors generally sell up if they need to. They look for profit. They buy to make profit, whether this is through cash flow or gain. Let us remember not everyone is die hard negative gearing on a 95% loan. There are plenty of cash flow properties in commercial property. I've been told it's all gold.

If everyone is running blindly through the dark, following some newspaper hack who is reporting the end of the world, then there is plenty of money to be made. When the property market goes down it is time to buy. I'm sure most people are familiar with "buy low, sell high". Most people probably wouldn't have the spine to go against what the tabloids and their neighbors and families were telling them. "Property! That's risky!", "Breathing! That's risky!" So most people probably would not buy when prices were down.

Bargains galore.

Mick there is a huge difference between a property investor and a successful property investor. 1 in 7 huh? So six people standing next to you at the local don't have a backup plan? Only one person standing in the post office has an investment property? Doesn't really seem crowded.

For you Mick, my friend, I will give you this for free. You have spent 2 years on this! Why so long? Are you hoping for a correction because you didn't buy? Will you spend the next 2 years researching?

D

Email Me

@ummester

hey DWolfe,

Surely researching a 400k investment for 2 years is prudent?

Fools rush in.

It isn't that there are so many honest to goodness PIs out there, it's just that so many Australians are NG now. I plan to use NG to pay of the house I want to live in and don't give a damn about being a PI – it's just the best way to do it in this country now.

Work and rent near a city that provides good income, buy a remote coastal or otherwise affordable property that you live in for 6 months to maximise all FHB savings accounts, stamp duty reductions and grants then move out and NG the place whilst renting back in the city that provides good income. Use NG to pay of the loan quick smart and get <moderator: delete obscenity> out of the city before it implodes under the miss management that all our cities currently suffer. There are a lot of others employing a similar strategy and a lot of last years FHBs that have had to put their places on the rental market because they cant afford the loans.

So, PIs aren't growing on mass but NG is. Here's the thing, how much of Australia's population can NG before it starts hurting the taxation bottom line for the country?

Profile photo of realestateedu.com.aurealestateedu.com.au
    @realestateedu.com.au

Hi There,

Maybe we are all wrong and Australia is not the best place to invest.

One could assume that we are on a down hill slide, some good stories of buyers finding good deals, and lots of stories of people being caught.

If we look at the esteemed leader here "Steve" he and his partner "Dave" bought 130 properties (about 20 each per year for 3,5 years) at the bottom of the market in outer towns.

Could Steve and Dave repeat this in today's market?

Now Steve if focusing in the USA market so maybe we should be following this lead, the world is a smaller place than 10 years ago.

Something to think about.

Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author

Profile photo of Mick12345Mick12345
    @mick12345

DWolfe, why have I spent two years researching?
    Because two years ago when I was 18 years old and still on apprentice wages I don't think diving into property "speculation" would have been appropriate.
    …and two years of researching is telling me that 6.51% in the bank is probably the best bet at the moment in this uncertain market.
    Property might not dive, it might stay stable, but you would have to have rocks in your head if you think it can continue to climb upwards like it has over the last few years.

But wait, I just read in Saturdays West Australian that I should buy now or else I will be locked out of the property market forever! Sorry but two years of research is enough to know how to seperate the BS from the facts.

Work Smart, Not Hard

Participant
    @dwolfe

Thanks all for your pespective. It gives me great confidence.

Hi Ho, Hi Ho. It's off to make money I go!

Enjoy the next couple of years researching, I really do have better things to do than try and change your minds.

D

Email Me

@realestateedu.com.au

Hi Mick,

As a 20 year old I think you are on track.

What areas of the market are you researching?

DW lighten up the guy is a young person in a very interesting period of his life, times are changing and so is the market.

3 years ago we were in boom today it is more gloomy, deals are out there and we are all passionate to become self made multimillionaire in real estate.

Mick i have lots of FREE stuff on my web site, please down load it and give it to your friends you have a long life ahead of you good luck.

My twin girls are 16 and I have one passive income property for them each to get them started really early in life.

Now I am teaching them financial IQ intelligence.

Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author

Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hehehe,

Philip, I thought it amusing that at 20 he is already bearish about the market.

I'll never be able to change ummesters mind. Roar bears :)

Yeah the market is changing and very quickly.

Mooooooo! LOL

D

Email Me

@ummester
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hehehe,
    Mooooooo! LOL

D

Don't you mean Baaaaa?

@realestateedu.com.au

HI DW,

The interesting thing is that at 18 all his INFORMation was in the middle of a GFC.

There is also talk that we will get a second GFC … who really knows.

The governments are spending our TAX dollars to keep this from happening, good or bad our younger generation will be paying for this for years ahead.

When I started investing I had no mobile phone or internet, I went through 19.33% interest rates many haven't, all market conditions affect our thinking and confidence.

Steve has shifted his focus from Australia to USA, why is that?

Yes I agree there are deals, some ones bad luck is anothers good luck, we are looking at old motel conversions, bed sitters, and aged care accommodation to name a few.

One thing we all agree on is there is no evidence of a new boom soon, so it is back to the basics.

O = R + E outcome = response + events therefor ones outcome is dependent on their response to world events.

This bloke is only 20 and starting out, how did you feel in the beginning? 3/4 years ago the banks were giving 100% loans, today the banks have tightened and want a 20/30% deposit depending on your financial position (events)

Proserpine Airlie Beach area we see real estate sales people and trades people leaving town, Mackay has come back 40% since 2006, Gold Coast has come back 40%, SEQ we see renters in default, so you could forgive people for being skeptical in some areas.

In all of that there are deals and passive income to be created.

EDUcation + INFORMation + KNOWledge + ACTion = Success

In 1988 I was involved with golf courses and tourism projects in QLD. I traveled the world talking to potential buyers and the yen was over 20,000 points. Today Palm Meadows on the GC has gone broke, Japanese are not into those projects any more, and America is printing more cash away from the gold standard.

Want to predict the future? 

Great to be alive in this time, I want to see everybody rich and happy good luck good discussion here.

"Your home is not an ASSET"

Philip Sigglekow
    LREA author 

@eloi

Hey everyone.

Look anyone that says we arent heading for some really tuff times is only kidding themselves. Yes u can still find some bargains out there like catalyst did but they are far and few between. If u can find a bargain with good rent returns then take it, only an idiot wouldnt take it regardless of world conditions. Dont buy it expecting to make a profit on a quick resale because that wont happen for a while. Now its only a matter of yields.  My mother bought a property 4 years ago on the gold coast and the price hasnt moved in 4 years. Now to top things off the tennants want to negotiate the rent so she is being forced to accpet less return even though interest rates are going up. She isnt in a good position and she isnt alone in this scenario. From my understanding is that the gold coast is going to suffer alot from an oversupply, lack of jobs and high prices.   I remember when i first moved up to the gold coast in 2000. We had alot of people move up those first few years but 6 months after moving up they moved back to sydney or melbourne because they couldnt find good work. Some even purchased properties because it was so cheap compared to sydney or melbourne but in the end they where either forced to sell for a lower price or the bank repossed the properties and sold it at cost price. I know because a friend bought 2 or 3 from banks at low prices. I dont have any properties because by the time i earned enough to actually think about purchasing the prices where at all time highs so i hesitated now ive got alot more liquidity to play with so ill be looking for bargains when they come. Meanwhile im earning 6.51% ( UBANK) on my money.

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor
    DWolfe wrote:
    Hehehe,

Philip, I thought it amusing that at 20 he is already bearish about the market.

I'll never be able to change ummesters mind. Roar bears :)

Yeah the market is changing and very quickly.

Mooooooo! LOL

D

Wow D… how is it that you are the only one flying the flag… have I been gone that long?

It must be time to buy!!

So just 2 questions then:

1. How did you go with all the revaluations of your portfolio a couple of months ago?
    2. Are you still looking out West, and are you still up for a road trip?

PM if you prefer…

Hope all's well!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.