All Topics / Finance / Paying off loan in offset?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

Hi all just want to ask if i have an offset account, and I put 100% of the money i owe into it, what happens to my loan? ie I owe $300k but now have $300k in the offest account. Will the account be closed or can i keep putting money into it?

Profile photo of WhatIfWeFinanceWhatIfWeFinance
    Participant
    @whatifwefinance

Assuming you have an interest only facility, $300k in an offset account with 100% interest offest means you pay no interest. The loan is not closed and you can deposit or withdraw from your offset account.

If you are on P&I you may still be required to pay the minimum monthly repayment but there will be no interest and you are paying off principal only.

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

Thanks Spiro for your help!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

And it depends on the bank too, St G in particular are different. One of their offsets actually reduces the principle, even on IO loans.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Also if you go over 100% you will receive a letter from the bank stating that an offset account can be over 100% as it happened to me once.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.