All Topics / Value Adding / Can anyone identify what style of home this is?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi Guys,

Thinking of renovating this property, would anyone know what kind of period home this is?

Would appreciate any help.

Cheers,

Profile photo of Property TraderProperty Trader
    Participant
    @property-trader

Hi Mav86,

The quickest and most accurate way you are going to know the style of the property is to ask a local real estate agent who would know alot about the area and the style of homes that exist there and the ones that most appeal to people buying in the area.

Property Trader | Boston West Pty Ltd
    http://bostonwest.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Private money lending opportunities available paying upto 12%, secured by bricks and mortar!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Roughly speaking, the place next door would be late federation/edwardian. Due to the lack of ornamentation on this house it would be post WW1 but pre-WW2. Roof line is still quite steep & there is still  a gable (remaniscent of californian bungalow). Doorway does have some minor detail but it is likely that much of the detailing has been lost over the years eg recladding, changing windows, removal of picture rails etc.

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help.

I have asked the agent who is sellign the property and he is unsure of what it is exactly. He said he will do some research and get back to me but I thought I would try figure it out on my own also. It is a strange one, I cant find anything else that looks like it. Will need to know this in order to restore to its original nature.

Anyone know of any places in Melbourne were you can purchase the period ornaments on these homes?

Thanks,

Mav

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

hi, Mave,

googled house restoration materials melbourne and this was one link that came up. No idea if this is what you are after or not!

http://pickwick.com.au/pro/jsp/product/ShopFoyer.jsp

Cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of Property TraderProperty Trader
    Participant
    @property-trader

Hi Mav,

One question you might want to ask yourself (I personally focus on my exit strategy first and then my entry strategy second) … "Is there sufficient demand in the market for this style of home that has been restored back to its original glory days and will someone pay a premium for it" as you have stated " I can't find anything else that looks like it" and finding these original items to go into that house might be hard to find and expensive.  You might get away with freshening it up (a light cosmetic reno) and selling it.

Property Trader | Boston West Pty Ltd
    http://bostonwest.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

Private money lending opportunities available paying upto 12%, secured by bricks and mortar!

Profile photo of JessWJessW
    @jessw

Hey Mav – I agree with Jason – i would imagine it would be far too expensive to try to restore it. Restoration and Renovation are two very different things. And at the crux of it – restoration is more expensive! You're probably better off to bring it up to a light, bright, modern standard that will appeal to all types of different people.

Anyway – that's just my opinion!

Cheers
    Jess

Profile photo of mav86mav86
    @mav86

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I do agree with you both.

I would be looking at renovating this just to bring it to a more modern and comfortable place to live. It is barely livable at the moment. I just think that these period homes look really good with the decorations and ornaments, it's what gives them there character and value. Without this I think they loose half of there appeal (similar to the pic above). Within saying that if I was going to renovate and add things to the property which were not consistent with the style of home or era it was built, I think it will look stupid. I would assume that most people purchasing a period home like this would like to know what it is and possibly be aware of the features it should or should not have. I might be wrong though. I would be interested to know what you guys think.

Cheers,

Mav

Profile photo of christianbchristianb
    Participant
    @christianb

Mav,

The combination of hipped and gabled roof, along with the proportions, suggest the is what's called "between the wars" style.
    These places are interesting I think because they often combine late "period" styles (with lees ornamentation) but also point to what was to come in the 1950s and 1960s when housing boomed and the blond brick veneer was introduced.

I believe these houses are comfortable and well proportioned and provide an opportunity to renovate without having to stick to a particular regimented style – and not be accosted by the style police!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.